• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SVNS Series 2023/24

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The Argentinian’s are on a different level to everyone else at the moment.

Congrats to them - shows the benefit of a long term, strategic plan with a relatively narrow focus.

Disappointing from the Aussies - but 2nd for two tournaments in a row is still pretty bloody good. Hutchinson will be good for the hit out and Paterson still to come in (and potentially Hooper).

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I would take two grand final appearances any tournament. Still don't know how the men made it, they lost two games?

The women had a terrible run with injuries and poor tackling technique.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Didn't get the wins but it's a big improvement on the table for both our sides.

The Women have extended their lead at the top to 12 points and it's hard to see anyone outside of New Zealand and France running that down. Even then it would take a massive decline in form from us so far to let them in:
1706477838334.png

The men have jumped all the way up to equal 2nd with that win, though Argentina's lead of 14 points puts them in an even stronger position than our Women. The other big story here is probably the terrible run New Zealand are having this year. They're effectively already out of contention for the series title and they'll be desperate to find some form before the Olympics:
1706478184634.png

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
They are tracking in the right direction even with some disappointing losses. Anytime you beat Fiji has to boost the confidence. We use to seem to just get bullied by them.

They'll want Lancaster for the Olympics for sure.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
They are tracking in the right direction even with some disappointing losses. Anytime you beat Fiji has to boost the confidence. We use to seem to just get bullied by them.

They'll want Lancaster for the Olympics for sure.
Didn't watch much but the bits of Lancaster I saw he was ineffective, how'd he go?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He's just always threatening. And, that's with him parachuting back into the side.

He's a big unit with genuine speed. Ill be surprised if he's not at the Olympics and even around the Wallaby squad by the Lions series. Big call when he hasn't played a game of Super Rugby yet but we have seen how effective Toole has been with genuine speed and in my opinion Darby is a bit more of an all round player.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
He's just always threatening. And, that's with him parachuting back into the side.

He's a big unit with genuine speed. Ill be surprised if he's not at the Olympics and even around the Wallaby squad by the Lions series. Big call when he hasn't played a game of Super Rugby yet but we have seen how effective Toole has been with genuine speed and in my opinion Darby is a bit more of an all round player.
I think next year might be a year too soon for him to crack the Wallabies squad, but with wingers you never know. Certainly Nawaqanitawase's departure will have opened a door for him there.

I wouldn't be amazed if he ends up spending the year with the 7s side if it gets him off the Rebels books for the time being though. It's one of the few places they could potentially ease that pressure without sacrificing the future. That and size still feels like our Achilles heel the way Argentina bullied us, so he'd definitely be someone they want well integrated in the side for the Olympics.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I only got to watch the semi & final, but it seemed like the inclusion of Lancaster came at the expense of James Turner who was outstanding in Cape Town. Or was there another reason he was on reduced minutes. Not saying Lancaster isn’t very handy but as a straight swap I don’t know if he is will be a significant step up given Turner will spend all his time in the 7s program while Lancaster now goes back to XVs.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Went Saturday and Sunday and loved it, will be back next year for sure and with more people, great event. Players more than happy to get photos, sign autographs etc, great ambassadors for the sport.

Women's final was disappointing, don't remember seeing any offside penalties for 3 days and then he starts hammering us, anyway well done Ireland and that number 13 for Argentina men's is incredible

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Am i right in believing that South Africa men's team failed to qualify for the Paris Olympics?

Edit: just looked into it, they lost to Kenya in the final of the 2023 Africa Mens Sevens tournament back in September, so will have one last shot at qualifying in June this year. In a tournament that includes teams like Tonga, Great Britain, Spain & Brazil where only one team make it through.

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Am i right in believing that South Africa men's team failed to qualify for the Paris Olympics?

Edit: just looked into it, they lost to Kenya in the final of the 2023 Africa Mens Sevens tournament back in September, so will have one last shot at qualifying in June this year. In at tournament that includes teams like Tonga, Great Britain, Spain & Brazil.
That’s still pretty amazing that they are in that position.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
I only got to watch the semi & final, but it seemed like the inclusion of Lancaster came at the expense of James Turner who was outstanding in Cape Town. Or was there another reason he was on reduced minutes. Not saying Lancaster isn’t very handy but as a straight swap I don’t know if he is will be a significant step up given Turner will spend all his time in the 7s program while Lancaster now goes back to XVs.
Turner was crook with a stomach bug i believe.

Reactions: TSR

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No Hooper again. Fascinating. I wonder if Joe Schmidt has been in his ear (I know they’ve spoken) and suggested he’d actually like to pick him.

Australia Women’s Sevens team for Vancouver SVNS:
2. Sharni Smale
3. Faith Nathan
4. Dominique Du Toit
5. Teagan Levi
6. Madison Ashby
7. Charlotte Caslick (c)
8. Kaitlin Shave
9. Tia Hinds
10. Bella Nasser
12. Maddison Levi
13. Heidi Dennis