• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Easts just posted there annual report, made 120k last yr & sit on a nice nest egg of 550k. Question I have is they spent over $300k on coaching & development. Is this a common amount in the SS? I know there is 10 sides plus assistants & s+c coaches & so forth or are they just spending it because they are in the position to?

Would Randwick & Uni spend roughly the same amount?
FT 1st Grade coach on at least 100k I'd say but probably more for a good one. Then 200k for say 12 other coaches across the grades/colts then S&C. Don't know if trainers, physios would fall into it as well... Seems about right.

Have to think it would be the same at Uni, Randwick, Norths, Gordon, Eastwood. Some Clubs may spend most of it on the 1st grade coach.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm out of the loop but there is obviously a problem at Eastwood with a heap of players going and the coach (who is a club stalwart). What has happened to make everyone jump ship?
Guessing Batger didnt see Castle Hill as part of his plans, and the coastal appeal of Easts may have won out

GeoffL

Bob McCowan (2)
Maybe Eastwood decided they needed a new coach?
I'm not an Eastwood supporter (more the inner city studious type) but over the past 20 odd years I've watched with some admiration how they quietly go about their business.

If a coach and some players are no longer at Vimiera, my money very firmly is on that being the club's decision - they are a club used to success and they've not had any for 5 years. Looks, feels and smells like a clean out to me.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
FT 1st Grade coach on at least 100k I'd say but probably more for a good one. Then 200k for say 12 other coaches across the grades/colts then S&C. Don't know if trainers, physios would fall into it as well... Seems about right.

Have to think it would be the same at Uni, Randwick, Norths, Gordon, Eastwood. Some Clubs may spend most of it on the 1st grade coach.
@Uni they are referred to as 'faculty' ;)

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Maybe Eastwood decided they needed a new coach?
Maybe, but I doubt it - unless you are closer to it and know that.

Eastwood made 2023 and 2022 semi finals - in 2022 lost by 1 pt to Uni - the ultimate winner - and if my memory serves me correctly Edmed missed an easy penalty right at the end and could have snatched the win,

I wouldn't have thought those results would have a club looking for a new coach, and now the club is looking decimated and has to rebuild. Not a smart move by the club

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Maybe, but I doubt it - unless you are closer to it and know that.

Eastwood made 2023 and 2022 semi finals - in 2022 lost by 1 pt to Uni - the ultimate winner - and if my memory serves me correctly Edmed missed an easy penalty right at the end and could have snatched the win,

I wouldn't have thought those results would have a club looking for a new coach, and now the club is looking decimated and has to rebuild. Not a smart move by the club
I believe that the press from the club and Batger was all about Ben wanting a new challenge and further himself as a career coach.
I’m sure Eastwood would have been a bit miffed that he ended up at East’s, but that’s the new nature of professional Shute Shield coaches.
With all the departures, Dave Telfer will need to see what else is in the Eastwood well and work it out. A challenge but one I’m sure he is keen on.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
I believe that the press from the club and Batger was all about Ben wanting a new challenge and further himself as a career coach.
I’m sure Eastwood would have been a bit miffed that he ended up at East’s, but that’s the new nature of professional Shute Shield coaches.
With all the departures, Dave Telfer will need to see what else is in the Eastwood well and work it out. A challenge but one I’m sure he is keen on.
Yep Ben has the full support of the board. Haha.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Cant wait to watch my beasties loose to Hunter then for me to stroll down to see us get by Georgia, gunna be an awesome weekend away in the harbor city