• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’d suggest a real takeaway from that is that the further Australian rugby got away from the inception of professionalism and the golden area of Eales/Horan/Herbert/Kefu/Tune/Gregan/Larkham/Burke etc etc (add your own favourites) the more the success rate dropped off.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I’d suggest a real takeaway from that is that the further Australian rugby got away from the inception of professionalism and the golden area of Eales/Horan/Herbert/Kefu/Tune/Gregan/Larkham/Burke etc etc (add your own favourites) the more the success rate dropped off.

Some have suggested the real secret to McQueen’s success was to have two of our all time greats in the same team. And then a smattering of legends. Of course Dwyer had the same.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Some have suggested the real secret to McQueen’s success was to have two of our all time greats in the same team. And then a smattering of legends. Of course Dwyer had the same.
I’m reminded of the cricket saying ‘show me a successful cricket captain and I’ll show you a guy who has two great strike bowlers’.

I was certainly making the point that no one since Eddie Jones’ first stint has had the quality of player to work with but I’ll probably steer clear of any suggestion McQueen wasn’t a pretty good coach in his own right.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I wouldn't pick Arnold but I would try and pick Skelton at every opportunity.

He's a genuinely world class player and one of the few we have who has the potential to move the needle at test level. The more time he had as a Wallaby the more we saw the potential he brings. I definitely want to continue that in whichever series it makes sense from an availability perspective.
Skelton has never remotely lived up to his reputation in a Rugby Championship (or basically any game against a quality SH team).
He‘s at his best in the attritional and slow paced world of European (and unfortunately World Cup) rugby where he can walk from ruck to ruck with the occasional powerful burst from a standing start.
I don’t think he offers enough to bring back for mid-season tests considering disruption and change to game plan that comes with it. Frost and someone else will do a decent job.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
A crack at a 33-man squad of Australian based players, excluding any confirmed to leave Aus Rugby at end of 2024

Bell, Slipper, Tupou, Ala'ala'toa, Schoupp
Porecki, Faessler, L.Lonergan
Frost, Rodda, Canham, Swain
McReight, Valetini, Leota, Wilson, T.Hooper, Gleeson, Gamble
McDermott, Fines, R.Lonergan
Gordon, Lolesio
Paisami, Foketi, Petaia, Ikitau
Kellaway, Vunivalu, Jorgensen, Flook, T.Wright

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
A crack at a 33-man squad of Australian based players, excluding any confirmed to leave Aus Rugby at end of 2024

Gordon, Lolesio
Paisami, Foketi, Petaia, Flook
I'm a big fan of Flook, but I'm not sure I could justify picking him twice

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Gordon, Lolesio
Paisami, Foketi, Petaia, Flook
Kellaway, Vunivalu, Jorgensen, Pietsch, T.Wright

Hey Eddie, still not a fan of Ikitau?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’d assume Ilitau will be in there and if Alex Mafi can stay fit I reckon he’ll also get a gig and possibly jump the queue straight into the starting team (although I though Faessler looked very sharp last week). can understand/support the selection of Rodda but given he’s had two years of injuries it’ll be interesting how strongly he comes back. Might take him a while to get back to his previous playing level.

I’ll be happy if Vunivalu’s form warrants a spot, but not convinced he should even be starting for Qld at the moment.

But overall for a team picked in Feb looks pretty solid.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)

Gordon, Lolesio
With not a game of the new season played? Pointless.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Gordon, Lolesio
Good effort RY, but like others have commented I think it's premature to put Rodda in there as he's had almost no game time for a couple of years and his form before injury was patchy to say the least. I think LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or Neville will be there before Rodda at this stage.

I personally don't see Gamble making the squad either. I would say Liam Wright has a shot at being the hybrid 6/7 in the squad.

Roughies who might force their way into consideration would be, Alex Hodgman (LHP), Billy Pollard (Hooker), FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) (Lock/No 6), Miles Amatosero (Lock), Ollie Sapsford (No 12), and Dylan Pietsch (Wing).

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
So the context here is that he managed to maintain a higher level of success over a longer period?
But that was only when Quade was running the cutter, his Wallabies won 65% of their tests when Quade started at 10, add in a telepathic synergy with Australia's best scrumhalf since Gregan in Will Genia & that once in a generation combination should've achieved a lot more under Robbie's tutelage - most notably a 2013 Lions Series win.

Last edited:

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
But that was only when Quade was running the cutter, his Wallabies won 65% of their tests when Quade started at 10, add in a telepathic synergy with Australia's best scrumhalf since Gregan in Will Genia & that once in a generation combination should've achieved a lot more under Robbie's tutelage - most notably a 2013 Lions Series win.
It was a ‘toxic environment’ though remember!