• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
but who's fault is that really, the team for signing him or the media for putting a bit of hype on him?
He showed enough to suggest he has the qualities for Super Rugby, and i think he is a good signing, big bodied locks are far and few between in Australia he just still a bit raw, and also playing in a losing team doesn't help.

Reactions: TSR

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think there appears to be some reluctance to take players out of Shute Sheild and prefer those from academies or overseas experience. I watched Amatesero, expecting him to rip into it but atm he is far from another Skelton, after all the media splash about him I expected a bit more.

He was fine. He was never supposed to be Skelton 2.0. That bloke is lining up to play for France.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
He was fine. He was never supposed to be Skelton 2.0. That bloke is lining up to play for France.
So you know a bit about playing in the row, do you? That's news to me. I thought he was the poorest of the 4 and as a young guy you need to rip in to get yourself established and prove to the coach it was a smart move. I played 1st grade at 19 and it was expected but I guess you know all that.
I understand we are short of big guys, that is why the tahs have a back rower in there.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
but who's fault is that really, the team for signing him or the media for putting a bit of hype on him?
The media is always looking for Jesus Christ. The tahs are always looking for big guys, not sure they know what to do with them when they have one ie Skelton and let's see what they do with this guy.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Take with a grain of salt as it's mail from a player, but Brandon Smith of the Roosters implied that Joseph Suaalli will be the player to miss out on selection if all the Roosters backline players are fit. As it happens, their new recruit winger is injured so JS will play over in Vegas this weekend.

Highly doubtful but if JS is essentially being phased out of the side this early, I wonder if an early release would be on the cards. I think he's better than someone like Daniel Tupou for example but it sounds like he's behind him in the pecking order.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Take with a grain of salt as it's mail from a player, but Brandon Smith of the Roosters implied that Joseph Suaalli will be the player to miss out on selection if all the Roosters backline players are fit. As it happens, their new recruit winger is injured so JS will play over in Vegas this weekend.

Highly doubtful but if JS is essentially being phased out of the side this early, I wonder if an early release would be on the cards. I think he's better than someone like Daniel Tupou for example but it sounds like he's behind him in the pecking order.
He's not much better than Daniel Tupou IMO (who has a lot of runs on the board including at state of origin level). They also haven't seemed to be playing Suallii at wing or fullback very much over the last year.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
A Paul Cully special from 4 years ago,
Take a deep breath, Australia, everything is going to be OK.
Emotions are clearly raw after the Rugby World Cup and the turbulent exit of Michel Cheika, but if you take a step back and look at the likely outcome – it appears Dave Rennie will be the next coach – then it's a satisfactory one. He's a very good coach who I believe will have the Wallabies squad on board in five minutes flat.
But rather than thunder "this is what I believe and you must follow", let's just turn the volume down and address some of the issues out there, because they are all valid and deserve answers.

We needed to do more to get Eddie Jones

There's something in this one. Rugby Australia can justifiably point to Jones' contract with England (which runs to 2021) and say, "he's locked up". Fair enough. But the allure of Jones is so great that it would settle all arguments if RA could at least say "we tried" or Jones said "nah mate, I had my go". Otherwise, when the new coach hits a few bumps he will be beaten with the "we should have got Eddie" stick.

RA mustn't rush the process

I'm less sympathetic to this one. The search didn't begin when Cheika said he wasn't going to continue. Although he has painted the Wallabies loss to England as the trigger point for his exit I believe the likelihood of him keeping the job was already slim. So, work has been going on in the background about his replacement – in fact, RA will be one of the last remaining national unions to appoint a new coach post-Rugby World Cup. You could even argue they've left it quite late.

We need a big fish with Test credentials

The key point here is availability, both contractually and "emotionally". Let's take Japan coach Jamie Joseph and his right-hand man Tony Brown, for example (it's no secret that Brown runs the Japanese attack that won so many admirers).
Joseph might be contractually available but emotionally wants to coach the All Blacks. When he left the Highlanders to take the Japan job he had been told by NZ rugby bosses that if he wanted to coach the All Blacks he'd be best served by going overseas and getting some Test experience.

If the All Blacks fail to win the World Cup, Joseph will probably apply for the All Blacks job, no doubt with Brown on his ticket. If the All Blacks win, he could well stay in Japan. As for Brown, he has signed a three-year deal with the Highlanders (and also wants to coach at All Blacks level, and may do so next year, with or without Joseph).
Warren Gatland? Contracted to the Chiefs (and British and Irish Lions) and also wants to coach the All Blacks.

Joe Schmidt? Burnt out and sounding very, very genuine when he says he'll prioritise his family. I'm not sure Schmidt will ever be a head coach again, certainly not of a big Test team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Charlie Cale, another Eastwood player overlooked by the Tahs.

He was outstanding against the Rebels but really, if there's one thing the Tahs haven't been lacking across several seasons is backrowers.

Until last year they had Hooper at 7 with Gamble behind him.

They have Langi Gleeson at number 8 and had to let Will Harris leave.

They have Ned Hanigan, Lachie Swinton and now Fergus Lee-Warner covering 6.

You can't sign everyone.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Miles is also 21 and were comparing him to Skelton of recent years. Skelton at 21 was not even close to what he has become.

To me the he looks like a more mobile version of Sitaleki Timani.

Reactions: TSR

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
Miles is also 21 and were comparing him to Skelton of recent years. Skelton at 21 was not even close to what he has become.

To me the he looks like a more mobile version of Sitaleki Timani.

It's a bad habit that we get into as Aussie sports fans. We always seem to expect up and coming players to "be the next" someone.... whether its Will Skelton, Shane Warne, Andrew Johns or whoever. We are always looking for like for like replacements instead of letting the next generation of stars develop with time into being the best version of themselves.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
What do people think of this for a squad - if there is only domestic players and knowing Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) is going to league next year and we only have 13 tests before the Lions

Bell, Frost, Valentini, Ikitau & Kellaway pick themselves

AAA to start over Tupou for leadership and experience

Paisami is a good defender and has been playing well he's better than Foketi IMO and has played with Ikitau before

Lonergan is needed for goal kicking and is long overdue for a Wallabies debut - best #9 we have I think

Gordon I think is our best #10 - let him develop to 40 tests by the time 27' comes around

Valentini plays 6 for the brumbies and we've had a revolving door of failed 6's, allow for the Reds 7/8 combo - Wilson is getting too good to leave out

Faessler probably the form hooker right now will have good game time by the time of the test season

Need to build a backline for the Lions and the WC - Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) is leaving so we need to move on from him

1 - Bell
2 - Faessler
3 - AAA (captain)
4 - Frost
5 - Skalatai-Loto
6 - Valentini
7 - McReight
8 - Wilson
9 - Lonergan (goalkicker)
10 - Gordon
11 - Petaia
12 - Paisami
13 - Ikitau
14 - Wright
15 - Kellaway

Last edited:

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
What do people think of this for a squad - if there is only domestic players and knowing Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) is going to league next year and we only have 13 tests before the Lions

Paisami is a good defender and has been playing well he's better than Foketi IMO and has played with Ikitau before

Lonergan is needed for goal kicking and is long overdue for a Wallabies debut - best #9 we have I think

Gordon I think is our best #10 - let him develop to 40 tests by the time 27' comes around

Valentini plays 6 for the brumbies and we've had a revolving door of failed 6's, allow for the Reds 7/8 combo - Wilson is getting too good to leave out

Faessler probably the form hooker right now will have good game time by the time of the test season

Need to build a backline for the Lions and the WC - Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) is leaving so we need to move on from him

1 - Bell
2 - Faessler
3 - AAA (captain)
4 - Frost
5 - Skalatai-Loto
6 - Valentini
7 - McReight
8 - Wilson
10 - Gordon
11 - Petaia
12 - Paisami
13 - Ikitau
14 - Wright
15 - Kellaway
Picking people on form one week into the comp... Hahahaha

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
What would your team be?
Pretty similar to be honest.. I just found you selecting players as playing well after one week funny.

it's only been 1 week.

I'd probably look at Tom Hooper/ Jeremy Williams at 6 and Valentini 8.... Wingers, 12 and 5 haven't played enough to pick yet..

Ask me in about 4 - 5 weeks and I'll have a better idea on who's playing well.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Pretty similar to be honest.. I just found you selecting players as playing well after one week funny.

it's only been 1 week.

I'd probably look at Tom Hooper/ Jeremy Williams at 6 and Valentini 8.... Wingers, 12 and 5 haven't played enough to pick yet..

Ask me in about 4 - 5 weeks and I'll have a better idea on who's playing well.
Just think we're a bit thin on locks and I think Paisami is our best domestic 12

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
What do people think of this for a squad - if there is only domestic players and knowing Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) is going to league next year and we only have 13 tests before the Lions

Need to build a backline for the Lions and the WC - Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) is leaving so we need to move on from him

1 - Bell
2 - Faessler
3 - AAA (captain)
4 - Frost
5 - Skalatai-Loto
6 - Valentini
7 - McReight
8 - Wilson
10 - Gordon
11 - Petaia
12 - Paisami
13 - Ikitau
14 - Wright
15 - Kellaway
For a round 1 team I don’t mind it. Although talking about Ala'alatoa & Tupou - one is injured, the other out of form.

I get the logic of needing a kicker, but Tate is the better half at the moment. I also think he’s the likely captain. Lonergan does have a better pass though so maybe Schmidt will go that way.

I know Gordon got MOM last night but he was shaky early and I think Donaldson & Lolesio are both doing some good things and are both reliable goal kickers.

I think the whole back 3 is pretty open - although agree Kellaway is likely for 1 spot and Petaia is probably a good shot for another.

Last edited:

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
For a round 1 team I don’t mind it. Although talking about Ala'alatoa & Tupou - one is injured, the other out of form.

I get the logic of needing a kicker, but Tate is the better half at the moment. I also think he’s the likely captain. Lonergan does have a better pass though so maybe Schmidt will go that way.

I know Gordon got MOM last night but he was shaky early and I think Donaldson & Lolesio are both doing some good things and are both reliable goal kickers.

I think the whole back 3 is pretty open - although agree Kellaway is likely for 1 spot and Petaia is probably a good shot for another.
That post hit from dead Infront is a coach killer..

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
That post hit from dead Infront is a coach killer..

it was a shitty kick on a below avg night from the tee.

it’s something that needs to be worked on because he is head and shoulder better than any flyhalf prospects “IF” he can sort out his goal kicking woes….

but one thing we learned from last night. To say Eddie jones might of killed his confidence, think that performance last night might of quelled his critics

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I’m not convinced he’s head and shoulders above. Im a huge fan and he has some great highlight moments but he still makes a lot of mistakes. He’s never been a gun goal kicker so there’s something there. I’ll be honest I think Donaldson and Noah have been better this year. Lynagh not far off either but he needs to deliver a lot more consistently through the season to make any case.