• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Makes sense - drag it out and see how many supporters you can disenfranchise. Regardless of outcome we’ll have no players or coaches in 2025, but I guess that will make it easier to justify RA’s decision.
I really doubt that's the intent, the longer it drags on the worse for RA as well, whether they end persisting with a gutted Rebels or picking up the pieces after months of inaction. I expect this is because they're actually looking to keep the team alive in some form but can't see a way forward. If they really wanted the Rebels gone I think they'd be pretty ruthless about it at this stage and end them now to minimise the losses.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
1708298745751.png

From RA.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
An unpaid caterers’ bill was the reason tickets are still not on sale for the Melbourne Rebels’ season opener against the Brumbies on Friday.

Rugby Australia urgently worked out a renewed agreement with the AAMI Park caterers, who have not been paid in a year with the Rebels in a dire financial situation.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I really doubt that's the intent, the longer it drags on the worse for RA as well, whether they end persisting with a gutted Rebels or picking up the pieces after months of inaction. I expect this is because they're actually looking to keep the team alive in some form but can't see a way forward. If they really wanted the Rebels gone I think they'd be pretty ruthless about it at this stage and end them now to minimise the losses.

I agree with this. The only thing that wouldn't require time is coming out straight away and saying it's all over for the Rebels.

Apparently Issue was an unpaid caterers bill from the Rebels, they’re a creditor under the Rebels and they wanted RA to pay as part of stadium hosting and held up negotiations

There's been heaps of criticism of how long it has taken for tickets to go on sale and most of that blame seems to have fallen on Rugby Australia. These things are complicated and have lots of parties involved, many of which won't have the issue at the same priority level as it is for the Rebels and Rugby Australia.

You've got Ticketek, MOPA, PwC, some caterer at AAMI Park, lawyers for Rugby Australia etc. who all need to be involved for agreements to take place and for almost all of them, this won't be the biggest issue they're trying to deal with right now.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
The broadcast deal would likely prevent them doing so - imagine giving 9 a chance to renegotiate after the World Cup debacle. Possibly also arrangements with the Victorian Government.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
The broadcast deal would likely prevent them doing so - imagine giving 9 a chance to renegotiate after the World Cup debacle. Possibly also arrangements with the Victorian Government.
I don't mean wrapping them up straight away and cancelling their participation this year, that part has already been guaranteed, just announcing that this would be their final season if that's what their aim was. There's no benefit to RA in dragging it out if they're aim is to get rid of the Rebels.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
I don't mean wrapping them up straight away and cancelling their participation this year, that part has already been guaranteed, just announcing that this would be their final season if that's what their aim was. There's no benefit to RA in dragging it out if they're aim is to get rid of the Rebels.
Openly stating they don’t intend to fulfil their obligations for 2025 under the broadcast agreement? It’s one thing to negotiate that in the background ‘without prejudice’, another to come out and make a unilateral public proclamation without the consent of 9.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Apparently Issue was an AAMI park unpaid caterers bill from the Rebels, they’re a creditor under the Rebels and they wanted RA to pay as part of stadium hosting and held up negotiations
Fuck them. They serve the shittest food at the most inflated prices

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I agree with this. The only thing that wouldn't require time is coming out straight away and saying it's all over for the Rebels.

There's been heaps of criticism of how long it has taken for tickets to go on sale and most of that blame seems to have fallen on Rugby Australia. These things are complicated and have lots of parties involved, many of which won't have the issue at the same priority level as it is for the Rebels and Rugby Australia.

You've got Ticketek, MOPA, PwC, some caterer at AAMI Park, lawyers for Rugby Australia etc. who all need to be involved for agreements to take place and for almost all of them, this won't be the biggest issue they're trying to deal with right now.
The club was told the deal was done and tickets would be on sale on the weekend.

If that’s not the case then don’t say it. It is as simple as that

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The club was told the deal was done and tickets would be on sale on the weekend.

If that’s not the case then don’t say it. It is as simple as that

A RA spokesperson confirmed tickets were not yet available because there was no agreement in place to sell them.

“We are in the process of finalising a new agreement with the venue – until that is completed we cannot go on sale,” they said on Friday. “We’re hopeful that this will be done by tomorrow [Saturday] at the latest.”

Clearly this didn't happen by Saturday but also, they didn't claim that a deal had already been done.

Back to my original point. Trying to get anything completed that involves multiple parties is time consuming and prone to unexpected delays (like a caterer blocking your agreement progressing).

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
A RA spokesperson confirmed tickets were not yet available because there was no agreement in place to sell them.

“We are in the process of finalising a new agreement with the venue – until that is completed we cannot go on sale,” they said on Friday. “We’re hopeful that this will be done by tomorrow [Saturday] at the latest.”

Clearly this didn't happen by Saturday but also, they didn't claim that a deal had already been done.

Back to my original point. Trying to get anything completed that involves multiple parties is time consuming and prone to unexpected delays (like a caterer blocking your agreement progressing).
Well that’s what the club had been told

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
All this is highlighting is, the Rebels management should have pulled the trigger earlier.

Anyone who's ever been involved in these types of proceedings know it takes a while to get everything up and running with the new management team and stakeholders.

Who's to say the caterer wasn't tied up doing food for the Taylor Swift concert, wasn't watching emails and only just got to accepting the new deal.

All of this could have been sorted back in November / December as it's not like the Rebels were going to get a bag full of money at Christmas.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
All this is highlighting is, the Rebels management should have pulled the trigger earlier.

Anyone who's ever been involved in these types of proceedings know it takes a while to get everything up and running with the new management team and stakeholders.

Who's to say the caterer wasn't tied up doing food for the Taylor Swift concert, wasn't watching emails and only just got to accepting the new deal.

All of this could have been sorted back in November / December as it's not like the Rebels were going to get a bag full of money at Christmas.
There's also levels of Gov involved here I assume with the facilities? Can move very slow