• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round One: Reds vs Waratahs. Suncorp Feb 24

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Lol, who pays Phil… QRU annual operating profit of $75k.. who’s paying for the free tickets…

I’m having a laugh as I know where you sit on the matter. A sunday gee up!

Anyway, the crowd was good in my opinion. If the Reds keep playing like that, it should steadily improve.

The Canes looked pretty good against the Force, although the Force weren’t great. So we should get a fair idea of where the Reds are sitting next weekend.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It also means an early test for this Reds squad and where they are really at. Either a bit of a reality check or, hopefully, a genuine shot in arm if they can compete well with them. I don’t think we are going to see consistency yet in this Reds team but the do have a fair bit of experience and stability and need a finishing school rather than a rebuild. That’s my hope at least. I’m hopeful they will build nicely over the season but an early test against a quality NZ side is a good thing IMO.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
According to ESPN stats the Reds backrow made 28 runs for 90 meters and 23 tackles for 1 miss. Pretty solid contribution.

Must say that, from a stats point of view at least, the Tahs backrow (who I thought were poor at first viewing) had a decent output as well. 10 runs for 59 metres and 47 tackles for 2 missed. Fergus Lee-Warner, who I couldn’t even remember playing, made 19 tackles, 2 missed and Charlie Gamble 20 tackles and none missed (although he is probably luck Flook stepped him so easily for McReights try that it hasn’t been counted as a miss because he didn’t get close enough).

Last edited:

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Oh I see, my dear friend Reg wrote it. In that case the crowd was pretty well distributed in all the stands. Like 3,5k in every side

The TV cameras are in the member stand from recollection. The pics are at thre less occupied seats, (generalisation).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m sorry to throw back at your positivity KOB, but calling it a dodgy TMO referral shits me. Jorgenson may have been unlucky, but he grabs Petaia’s arm early so, under the rules, it is a penalty try and a yellow card. If he doesn’t get his arm Petaia likely scores and the Reds take the lead anyway.

The officials get a tough enough time in rugby. When you say ‘dodgy’ maybe you should try something along the lines ‘I don’t like the rule, but the TMO got it 100% right’

Edit: I’ll get off my high horse now before next weeks game in case I feel the need to comment on the refereeing

Last edited:

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I’m sorry to throw back at your positivity KOB, but calling it a dodgy TMO referral shits me. Jorgenson may have been unlucky, but he grabs Petaia’s arm early so, under the rules, it is a penalty try and a yellow card. If he doesn’t get his arm Petaia likely scores and the Reds take the lead anyway.

The officials get a tough enough time in rugby. When you say ‘dodgy’ maybe you should try something along the lines ‘I don’t like the rule, but the TMO got it 100% right’
Can't call it a "dodgy TMO" when sometimes it plays into your favour too - I'm sure one of the Tahs trys was off of a forward pass & should have been sent upstairs.....

At the game the crowd was calling for blood as it was shown on the big screen!

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Can't call it a "dodgy TMO" when sometimes it plays into your favour too - I'm sure one of the Tahs trys was off of a forward pass & should have been sent upstairs.....

At the game the crowd was calling for blood as it was shown on the big screen!
Yeah - although to be fair on that one I think Paisami’s head clash with Perese was actually the bigger miss.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I just don’t see it. 3 tries and one from and intercept, one bounce back to Pietsch.

Got a lame 9 and a meh 10 even though I do feel for a 10 outside Gordon.

I would like to see them make a call around the coach. Don’t know what the team may have heard we haven’t but it doesn’t help anyone to hear noise saying he has 4 weeks to show it. It’s pro sport and the 1%ers add up and cost you games.
And the third try off a forward pass.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
It also means an early test for this Reds squad and where they are really at. Either a bit of a reality check or, hopefully, a genuine shot in arm if they can compete well with them. I don’t think we are going to see consistency yet in this Reds team but the do have a fair bit of experience and stability and need a finishing school rather than a rebuild. That’s my hope at least. I’m hopeful they will build nicely over the season but an early test against a quality NZ side is a good thing IMO.
It will be very interesting. Most of the new coaching team have never coached against a Kiwi side and may not know what to expect.
I'm impressed with what they've done so far but swapping coaches rarely involves instant success.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Agree on the penalties Dru - although it seemed we dominated possession and a lot of the penalties in the past have been under pressure in defence. So we’ll have sterner test ahead, but it’s a very good start.

We also gave up a lot of penalties up in the scrum last year but I thought our scrum held up well yesterday against a pack that I thought would put us under the blow torch on the scrums. Might be too early to make a firm determination but I feel our scrum is going to be much less of an Achilles heel this year.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
The TV cameras are in the member stand from recollection. The pics are at thre less occupied seats, (generalisation).
It's what I see from TV. It's the same stand for all the matches playing there (NRL/A-League). Beside that it's not a good promotion for the game, people go to the restaurant that is full, not the one that is empty

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It was a good game to watch and only a dodgy TMO referral away from being an excellent game. Some of you lot are getting over hysterical. It’s worth remembering that the wallabies are selected from the best of these players.
agree, it was back from Lynaghs hands but the game was still awesome. I assume this is the dodgy call? :)

I thought the Tahs were pretty lucky in the first half not to give away a lot of penalties for neck rolls, there was a lot of initial contact with the neck at breakdowns.