• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Super Rugby Round One: Reds vs Waratahs. Suncorp Feb 24

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Reading between the lines from the team announced for the third trial and the list of players out with injury, I expect the Waratah team for the first round will be:

1. Bell, 2. Vailanu, 3. Johnson-Holmes
4. Holloway, 5. Amatosero
6. Hanigan, 7. Gamble, 8. Gleeson
9. Gordon, 10. Edmed
12. Foketi, 13. Perese
11. Pietsch, 14. Nawaqanitawase, 15. Jorgensen

16. Fourie. Porecki is listed as round 1+ on his Achilles. With an Achilles injury that + does not sound good.
17. Unknown. Barrett is playing in the trial but I don't think he's close to ready for Super. Lambert has just had a major knee op. No one else is being listed as resting, I hope this is just an error.
18. Botha.
19. Lee-Warner if he survives the trial.
20. Swinton. His form in the trials would justify him being dropped, I hope he's been foxing.
21. Wilson. He should not play more than 30 minutes in the trials, so he's ready to come on early if required.
22. Bowen.
23. Lots of choices: In order of my preference Tuipolotu, Walton, Reilly, name your favourite.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
17. Unknown. Barrett is playing in the trial but I don't think he's close to ready for Super. Lambert has just had a major knee op. No one else is being listed as resting, I hope this is just an error.
Probably Hayden Thompson-Stringer. They've been trialing him at tighthead, probably to cover Holz, but he's traditionally a loosehead.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Reading between the lines from the team announced for the third trial and the list of players out with injury, I expect the Waratah team for the first round will be:

1. Bell, 2. Vailanu, 3. Johnson-Holmes
4. Holloway, 5. Amatosero
6. Hanigan, 7. Gamble, 8. Gleeson
9. Gordon, 10. Edmed
12. Foketi, 13. Perese
11. Pietsch, 14. Nawaqanitawase, 15. Jorgensen

16. Fourie. Porecki is listed as round 1+ on his Achilles. With an Achilles injury that + does not sound good.
18. Botha.
19. Lee-Warner if he survives the trial.
20. Swinton. His form in the trials would justify him being dropped, I hope he's been foxing.
21. Wilson. He should not play more than 30 minutes in the trials, so he's ready to come on early if required.
22. Bowen.
23. Lots of choices: In order of my preference Tuipolotu, Walton, Reilly, name your favourite.
I thought Thompson-Stringer could play both sides, but I might be wrong.

I think this really highlights the issue with Australian rugby. A really strong starting XV with 9 Wallabies starting and then guys like Gamble, Pietsch & Jorgensen. But Wilson & Bowen shouldn’t have to try and guide a team home at this stage of their career. But who knows - maybe the enthusiasm of youth will work in their favour (assuming that is the way the team pans out).

Most of the Australian teams can name a pretty decent 23 when most guys are fit. Quality drops off a far bit when they get down to the bottom third of their squad though.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Happy to have a crack at the Reds team. I imagine it’ll be pretty predictable.

Ravai Faessler Nonggorr
Smith Uru
Wright McReight Wilson
McDermott Lynagh (won’t be surprised if McLaughlin-Phillips gets the gig)
Vunivalu Paisami Flook Petaia
Campbell

I’ve ended up going with Vunivalu on the wing even though I think Greany’s form warrants it a bit more. But it adds a bit of size to the backline which we probably need and Grealy’s game should provide good impact off the bench. I still think there is a good case to start Grealy though.

Nasser
Hodgeman
Fa’agase
Daly
Bryant
Thomas / Werchon - I feel this one in particular comes down to what the coaches are seeing at training and what they want
McLaughlin-Phillips
Grealy

Mostly pretty predictable. I feel like there is no need for any surprise selections. The props could be configured differently but given the way props are used I don’t think it’s a big deal who starts and who finishes.

Creighton might get a bench gig as he covers 10/12/15 a bit better.

First game is a big opportunity for the Reds - home game, relatively low injury list (touch wood), a fair bit of stability across the squad - even with coaching changes I think that’ll be important.

Last edited:
Reactions: dru

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Ravai Faessler Nonggorr
Smith Uru
Wright McReight Wilson
McDermott McLaughlin-Phillips
Vunivalu Paisami Flook Petaia
Campbell
I think you are on the money with your team, I dont think Lynagh will play, I think Crighton will have one last shot at proving himself from the bench and if he cant impress then I think it will be HMP and Lynagh all season.

I think this year will be a great indication of what coaching can achieve, the team is similar to what we have had in the past and hopefully Kiss can lift them to the level required to at least be in with a competitive chance for a finals run.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I like the progress Creighton has made over the last two years and I don’t want to judge him too harshly from the first trial where most guys were sub par. But I feel Lynagh is already moving past him and McLaughlin-Phillips form has been very good. Creighton looks a handy depth player to me though.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I like the progress Creighton has made over the last two years and I don’t want to judge him too harshly from the first trial where most guys were sub par. But I feel Lynagh is already moving past him and McLaughlin-Phillips form has been very good. Creighton looks a handy depth player to me though.

Creighton was more sub par than most in the first trial. You're right though, we shouldn't be harsh on a single trial.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I am not only looking at the trial performances, I think Lynagh's performances last year were more deserving of a start this season and HMP looks like he should get a chance too. If they were both out I would prefer JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 before I would pick Creighton at 10.

I think he may be a backup 15 option but that would probably go to Petaia first.

Reactions: TSR

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Hanigan expected to be fit for this game, but Porecki and Sinclair less likely:
Ned Hanigan is also expected to be available for selection after missing all the trials, but senior forwards Dave Porecki and Hugh Sinclair are both still under injury clouds with calf/Achilles tendon issues picked up against the Rebels.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
On the injury front for the Reds it sounds like the only likely players for the 23 injured are O'Connor and Blyth:

O'Connor out for the first 3 rounds at least and Blyth is "in doubt" with a back injury so may still be a chance. Connor Anderson, Massimo De Lutiis and Max Craig also listed as injured but they were never too likely for this game. No word on Toomaga-Allen, hopefully that means he's good to go.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
IMO I think we're looking at something like this for the Reds:

1. Peni Ravai
2. Matt Faessler
3. Zane Nonggorr
4. Ryan Smith
5. Cormac Daly
6. Liam Wright
7. Fraser McReight
8. Harry Wilson
9. Tate McDermott
10. Tom Lynagh (would be my pick but could go to any of the three options)
11. Suliasi Vunivalu
12. Hunter Paisami
13. Josh Flook
14. Jordan Petaia
15. Jock Campbell

16. Josh Nasser
17. Alex Hodgman
18. Jeffrey Toomaga-Allen (Sef Fa'agase if he isn't fit)
19. Connor Vest
20. Seru Uru
21. Louis Werchon
22. Harry McLaughlin-Phillips (see my comment about the starting 10)
23. Mac Grealy

I'm not too concerned about the lack of experience in the bench halves considering the Tahs will most likely have the same issue carrying Wilson and Bowen on the bench. They will be surrounded by enough experience in the centres and back three so it shouldn't be too much of an issue, provided everyone stays fit. Most of the team picks itself, especially in the forwards. Once O'Connor and Blyth are fit they come into the side, but for the most part this is our first choice team.

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Would be good to see HMP get a crack at the starting 10 spot. I liked what I saw from him in the Tahs trial - still things to work on but direct, defensively a bigger body and looked good playing flat in attack off quick ball.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Forecast for Saturday: Wet. Possible late thunderstorm, 20-40 mm rain forecast over the day.