• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
It was a great performance from Gordon (kicking aside), but there's a fair way to go to prove his confidence isn't hit and that he's test match ready. He took his chances well and shredded the Force at times but that was not a well organised defence and he didn't exactly take control of the game in the game.

Moana next week should give the him and the Rebels a bit more of a chance to settle and build into the season, but it's the games against the title contenders breaking down the better defences that are going to be the decider. There's a lot more rugby to be played before any of the young candidates at 10 can claim to be well ahead in the race for the wallabies spot.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
it was a shitty kick on a below avg night from the tee.

it’s something that needs to be worked on because he is head and shoulder better than any flyhalf prospects “IF” he can sort out his goal kicking woes….

but one thing we learned from last night. To say Eddie jones might of killed his confidence, think that performance last night might of quelled his critics
To be honest Donaldson out played him in the first half and probably for the game.. I don't think he was great, he was good.. But he showed all the reasons he got dropped in the World Cup... I don't think his confidence died at the world cup but there's a bunch in his game that needs work.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It’s an interesting year in terms of 10s. I feel like Donaldson, Gordon and to a lessor extent Lolesio should really only be coming into Wallaby contention this year. Instead all 3 of them have test experience.

I don’t feel it is a make or break year for any of them re Wallabies duties as I doubt any of them will be nailed on Wallabies by year end, but the first selected does have a chance to shut the others out. Also selection choices this year may well have a big influence on the next contracting decision made by these guys. The reality is third choice 10 doesn’t have much chance of a RA top up.

Unless he brains it, Lynagh shouldn’t even be in the conversation this year but if he can’t get a look in then he might find purely through being 2-3 years younger he ends up being behind the 8 ball to push his way to the front of the selection queue.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
It’s an interesting year in terms of 10s. I feel like Donaldson, Gordon and to a lessor extent Lolesio should really only be coming into Wallaby contention this year. Instead all 3 of them have test experience.

I don’t feel it is a make or break year for any of them re Wallabies duties as I doubt any of them will be nailed on Wallabies by year end, but the first selected does have a chance to shut the others out. Also selection choices this year may well have a big influence on the next contracting decision made by these guys. The reality is third choice 10 doesn’t have much chance of a RA top up.

Unless he brains it, Lynagh shouldn’t even be in the conversation this year but if he can’t get a look in then he might find purely through being 2-3 years younger he ends up being behind the 8 ball to push his way to the front of the selection queue.
While I don't think Lynagh will be ready this year (maybe gets a spot on the EOYT or some good Australia A time), I think he is very well placed to come into the side over the next few years and don't see him being a couple of years behind as being too much of a disadvantage. He has an excellent tactical kicking game already and might be the best of them off the tee, those are very useful attributes for a test match fly half, particularly coming off the bench to close out games. He should really be coming into his own for the 2027 world cup and I think those traits will make him pretty hard for any coach to ignore. If he starts slotting drop goals on the regular he'll just about lock up a spot in the 23.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
it was a shitty kick on a below avg night from the tee.

it’s something that needs to be worked on because he is head and shoulder better than any flyhalf prospects “IF” he can sort out his goal kicking woes….

but one thing we learned from last night. To say Eddie jones might of killed his confidence, think that performance last night might of quelled his critics
Sometimes it’s hard to tell watching live but I didn’t think he was that great at all. He finished a few chances well but man he is useless at kicking both out of hand and from the tee. Which is basically the 10s core role for most international sides.

I thought Donaldson displayed a much more rounded performance which is frankly irritating.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Why is it irritating? Surely him the ongoing improvement of our 10s across the board is a good thing?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Sometimes it’s hard to tell watching live but I didn’t think he was that great at all. He finished a few chances well but man he is useless at kicking both out of hand and from the tee. Which is basically the 10s core role for most international sides.

I thought Donaldson displayed a much more rounded performance which is frankly irritating.

He’s actually a good kicker (punting) problem is he muffs so many kicks for touches off a penalty. That’s one aspect along with the goal kicking needs to work on.

I guess if I really wanted to do evaluation - sitting down and watching the game on mute - might be best because the commentators were singing his praise last night. Thought I heard Stan commentary gave him man of the match?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Why is it irritating? Surely him the ongoing improvement of our 10s across the board is a good thing?

Derpus is a waratahs fan and I believe he’s never been a big fan of Donaldson.

Think he’s just salty seeing someone leave the Waratahs and suddenly come good.

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
Pretty sure they called out Kellaway as man of the match.
Donaldson is building. Some very good moments but with momentum against them in second half, not much he could do.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I thought Donaldson had a better game overall than Carter G, but one won the first half and the other the second.

I think Donaldson has the appearance of being a no frills, steady hand who will never tear a game apart, while both Gordon and Lolesio each offer a bag full of extra running threats and will develop into better test match players. At the moment, I would have both Gordon and Lolesio on pretty much an even rating with Donaldson at No 3 but likely to fall down the order as they all develop more. I wouldn't even rate Lynagh until he has another season or more under his belt.

Yoda

Ted Thorn (20)
I thought Donaldson had a better game overall than Carter G, but one won the first half and the other the second.

I think Donaldson has the appearance of being a no frills, steady hand who will never tear a game apart, while both Gordon and Lolesio each offer a bag full of extra running threats and will develop into better test match players. At the moment, I would have both Gordon and Lolesio on pretty much an even rating with Donaldson at No 3 but likely to fall down the order as they all develop more. I wouldn't even rate Lynagh until he has another season or more under his belt.
“ Gordon and Lolesio each offer a bag full of extra running threats and will develop into better test match players” ….. not sure I agree with that….. let’s wait and see…

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
He was outstanding against the Rebels but really, if there's one thing the Tahs haven't been lacking across several seasons is backrowers.

Until last year they had Hooper at 7 with Gamble behind him.

They have Langi Gleeson at number 8 and had to let Will Harris leave.

They have Ned Hanigan, Lachie Swinton and now Fergus Lee-Warner covering 6.

You can't sign everyone.
With the benefit of hindsight, maybe they should have signed Cale and let Gleeson play grade until he develops a skill set that a number 8 needs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With the benefit of hindsight, maybe they should have signed Cale and let Gleeson play grade until he develops a skill set that a number 8 needs.

Sorry, what?

I reckon they're probably pretty happy having a guy in the team that made his test debut in the same year he played his first Super Rugby game.

He's also a year younger than Cale.

Gleeson's handling was poor last night but he also could have easily scored two tries if hadn't made those mistakes and we'd be having an entirely different conversation right now.