• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 2: Chiefs v Brumbies - 3 March 2024

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
There is some utterly aimless work by the Brumbies backline in general.

When your forward pack is getting pounded, and refuses to do anything about it, not easy, but the basics are quite lacking.

Reactions: mst

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Been a real soft match for the Brumbies.. Tom Hooper has a shocker, Frost quite. Remier not the best game. Valentini and Cale had some good and bad in a badly beaten pack.

Backs Sapsford not up for it. Halves got worse as the game went on. Muirhead and Wright poor.. Toole and Lenny played well in beaten teams..

Oh well week 2, back to the concrete Esky next week and lots to work on

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'd hate to be Bernie trying to work out what exactly to focus on next week.
Unfortunately they'll probably do the force quite easily that will paper over the fact they are playing really soft and missing way too many tackles and then dropping lots of ball.

Corey Tooles good for a few tries though..

Reactions: dru

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I think people need to give the Chiefs some more credit rather than chalking that up to just the Brumbies being woeful, not that I'm going to argue that, that was their best performance.

The Chiefs just outplayed them in almost every part of that game. A real class performance and sets a good gauge of where the top is at. Toole's pace aside I'm not sure that the Brumbies had an answer of how to unlock them and never looked like they were going to find their way back into that game (Bernie's comments after halftime gave a pretty good indication that he could see that they were being outclassed and off the pace).

Fundamentally the Brumbies lost that at the breakdown with the Chiefs just getting fast front foot ball all game, whilst doing a good job of nullifying the Brumbies who were often behind the gain-line or working off slow ball. There wasn't really any tricky plays or innovative patterns from the Chiefs, just lots of the basics down well, at pace, again and again with players backing up. Beyond that you could see they had a plan to test the Brumbies backs with those highballs that they kept peppering them with, particularly Toole's side of the field.

I agree with @Tomikin's assessment of some of the players. Sapsford in particular looked really off the standard. I think it's hard to have a go at the backs too much however with the forwards hardly setting the platform.

Such a shame that it wasn't more competitive after all the games so far this weekend.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I’d love it if the refs policed it properly. I have no issue with the timing, just that every half back does it, often for longer and I think it’s honestly the first time I can remember it being called.

Speaking of actually calling things - we often get frustrated about the lack of disciple in Aussie teams (and fair enough). But it’s a bit frustrating watching the Chiefs infringe left, right and centre at the breakdown and just given free rein. I get that you always get away with more of you are on top and playing with tempo but, to me, one is directly related to the other. The are getting a lot of pay off the lack of disciple in the breakdown.
Agree re: the breakdown. Gate seems to be disappearing and blowing over whilst taking out players meters beyond the ruck seems to be play on, seem to recall one with Valentine in particular, it was almost comical. But at the end of the day you need to play what the refs are letting go. We just need to be smarter.

Last edited:
Reactions: TSR

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
think people need to give the Chiefs some more credit rather than chalking that up to just the Brumbies being woeful,
Over on the Kiwi forums all they are talking about is how bad the crusaders were. Not much credit for the Tahs from some.

It is natural to look at our faults first.

No question a large part of the Brumbies' inability to get going was Chiefs pressure.

But the ponies also made some very ordinary decisions and executed poorly under zero pressure at critical times.

Reactions: mst

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think people need to give the Chiefs some more credit rather than

I just didn't feel they got out of first gear and seemed to spend plenty of time coasting in neutral. They have plenty left that we didn't see today.