• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round 2: Chiefs v Brumbies - 3 March 2024

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
The refereeing is becoming a joke. Brumbies get told to use the ball and he blows it up in 5 seconds. 2 occasions after this in the first half he tells the chiefs go use it and there is a 5 and 8 count and no scrum. Just be consistent

Chiefs the far betting team in the first half. Brumbies loys of bad decisions and unforced errors

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I'd hate to be Bernie trying to work out what exactly to focus on next week.
The post halftime cross to Bernie said it all for me. He was asked what he said to Ryan and Noah at halftime and he basically said that they would just need to take the learnings and where we end up is where we end up. To me it could not have been more of a concession. Totally unacceptable from a coach and really pathetic.

I think the team performance reflected the pathetic attitude of the coach, Both were clueless and essentially had conceded.

@Pfitzy - your comments are spot on. There are some real fundamental issue in the team again. Aside from the standard forward picks, they seem unwilling to go straight at the line and the idea of trying to break through it just doesn't seem to feature in their thinking. Lots of lateral play.

IMHO these issues were present in Bernies last stint at the Brumbies, and a rookie coach, McKellar, was able to improve the Brumbie post Bernie. But we seem to be slipping back to the old Bernie ways. What's stands out the most in not only the infrequent involvement of the backline, but when its used it dysfunctional. very few occasions on the game. They are also slow and to process driven. The Brumbies script is easily worked out so they are predictable which certainly made it easier for the Chiefs.

I can't help but question if this is one of the key issues with Rugby here in Australia at the moment. Bernie is constantly talked up as a coach but has achieved little. It's starting to head down the Jones path where its the reputation rather than the results that getting them the jobs.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I can't help but question if this is one of the key issues with Rugby here in Australia at the moment.

Maybe, but the big issues are: "The Australian Way" is a limited philosophy in collision-based professional rugby.

And (here I go again): our development systems aren't producing enough hard heads to keep us competitive.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have to say I think Jacobson has hardened up his tackling even more this year. Seems when he tackles he wants to hurt people!!

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
The post halftime cross to Bernie said it all for me. He was asked what he said to Ryan and Noah at halftime and he basically said that they would just need to take the learnings and where we end up is where we end up. To me it could not have been more of a concession. Totally unacceptable from a coach and really pathetic.

I think the team performance reflected the pathetic attitude of the coach, Both were clueless and essentially had conceded.

@Pfitzy - your comments are spot on. There are some real fundamental issue in the team again. Aside from the standard forward picks, they seem unwilling to go straight at the line and the idea of trying to break through it just doesn't seem to feature in their thinking. Lots of lateral play.

IMHO these issues were present in Bernies last stint at the Brumbies, and a rookie coach, McKellar, was able to improve the Brumbie post Bernie. But we seem to be slipping back to the old Bernie ways. What's stands out the most in not only the infrequent involvement of the backline, but when its used it dysfunctional. very few occasions on the game. They are also slow and to process driven. The Brumbies script is easily worked out so they are predictable which certainly made it easier for the Chiefs.

I can't help but question if this is one of the key issues with Rugby here in Australia at the moment. Bernie is constantly talked up as a coach but has achieved little. It's starting to head down the Jones path where its the reputation rather than the results that getting them the jobs.
I got the same vibe from Bernie. Maybe he was just being pragmatic, but yes, it was a little odd.

It's interesting you mention processes, because Fisher spoke about trying to create black and white for players where possible in a recent interview, so I don't think you can say that McKellar didn't have a lot of process in the past, or that hasn't been part of the Brumbies DNA for awhile now. I mean they always did like a good pod and much of their success in recent years has come from the processes you allude to, with consistency due to player clarity bringing them much success. I mean if you want to look at the ultimate example of this, look no further than their rolling maul which is (or was) a symphony of all the players following the process and a pretty big part of the success under McKellar's tenure.

I actually think last year you could see Bernie trying to lay some different attacking structures on top of their go-to routines (be a little more adventurous if you will). I agree that I'm not sure he's been entirely successful to date and likewise agree that calls for him to be the next Wallabies coach don't align with proven success.

I'm a little curious how Mowen is going in his assistant coaching role, because if anything it was at the breakdown that I feel they were really loosing the battle and that's part of his remit.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Lot of conclusions being drawn from small sample sizes on the board of late. Hero to zero or vice-versa in a week.
Maybe re-convene on the black-and-white calls in a few months.
It's like some people have never watched Super Rugby before.
Where is the fun in that.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Lot of conclusions being drawn from small sample sizes on the board of late. Hero to zero or vice-versa in a week.
Maybe re-convene on the black-and-white calls in a few months.
It's like some people have never watched Super Rugby before.
Welcome new guy!

This is Aussie rugby and it what we do. Hero to zero or vice-versa in a week - nope, just one Wallabies or Super game is enough! Baby and the bathwater, one chance only, we are the judge and jury and we like a good old fashioned scapegoat flogging weekly.

Coleman Rees

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think the ponies have enough credits in the bank to write this one off as an off day. Tipping a return to form against the Force next weekend.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
In attack yes. Defensively far from it.
Really? I thought he was great on D. His cover defence saved a couple of tries and and swept up well when called for. He's also surprisingly strong in contact.

He seems to have a roaming role though, so perhaps found himself out of position a few times.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A very disappointing game. Not so much the result or score as the very poor effort put in by so many of the Brumbies players. Might have been an aberration or more likely the Chiefs are a much tougher, more skilled outfit than I at least had given them credit.

Anyway, I expect maybe three changes for next week; Tua at 12, Brown at 7 and McInerney (if fit) at 16. Bring on the Force at home with Nic White as the added spice.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Having watched both this and the round 1 game live, it seemed that the Brumbies (players certainly, I don't know what went on in the backroom staff) didn't think there were any lessons to be learned from the Rebels game, and they played with the exact same strategies and effort, but came up against a team who had a lineout, a transition defence and could (well, 75% to Rebels like, 20%) hold onto the ball in the red zone.

Definitely not panic stations yet, but Larkham has a lot of work to do to get that mindset fixed up.