• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2024

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Sorry, what?

I reckon they're probably pretty happy having a guy in the team that made his test debut in the same year he played his first Super Rugby game.

He's also a year younger than Cale.

Gleeson's handling was poor last night but he also could have easily scored two tries if hadn't made those mistakes and we'd be having an entirely different conversation right now.
Two different players as well. I think the Tahs need Gleeson type more then a Cale type ATM..

Mr Arie

Herbert Moran (7)
Sounds about right, let’s write off our runner up for 2023 best and fairest after 2 games. Outrageous take.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Sorry, what?

I reckon they're probably pretty happy having a guy in the team that made his test debut in the same year he played his first Super Rugby game.

Gleeson's handling was poor last night but he also could have easily scored two tries if hadn't made those mistakes and we'd be having an entirely different conversation right now.
Yeah, look - I don’t really care about the Cale v Gleeson debate.

But to say he would’ve been good except for those times he fucked up seems to be a weird argument to me.

To be honest, using the arguement that he was great 2 years ago isn’t that much better - although I get I’m misrepresenting you a bit there. But still.

This guy gets talked up like he’s the next great thing. Even yesterday when the Tahs pack was awesome, he was no better than okay IMO.

It is only early season though. I think that is an acceptable defence.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah, look - I don’t really care about the Cale v Gleeson debate.

But to say he would’ve been good except for those times he fucked up seems to be a weird argument to me.

To be honest, using the arguement that he was great 2 years ago isn’t that much better - although I get I’m misrepresenting you a bit there. But still.

This guy gets talked up like he’s the next great thing. Even yesterday when the Tahs pack was awesome, he was no better than okay IMO.

It is only early season though. I think that is an acceptable defence.

My point with that is that I don't think there was a big gap between the criticism he's receiving for the handling errors and what would have been considered an excellent game. He had 13 tackles with 1 miss and won a turnover. His handling let him down because they happened in high leverage moments.

I think Gleeson was good last year too. He's had a rapid rise since making his Super Rugby debut in 2022 playing for the Wallabies that same year and then again in 2023 being part of the RWC squad. As a 22 year old I'm pretty happy with how his development is going.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
That makes no sense in terms of young players. Gleeson has some issues to make it as a test 8, he is too short for the lineout, he looks for big runs and doesn't do the linking and support of the breakdown an 8 should. His tackling is currently average but he's one year younger!!!!!

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
That makes no sense in terms of young players. Gleeson has some issues to make it as a test 8, he is too short for the lineout, he looks for big runs and doesn't do the linking and support of the breakdown an 8 should. His tackling is currently average but he's one year younger!!!!!
Gleeson is quick. That's about his only stand-out quality. I saw a bit of him in SS and honestly wondered what the fuss is about. He was better than average, but that's not saying a lot.

Anyway I assume we are stuck with him.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Was playing SS in the backrow when he could have been a Colt.

He's no Kefu but he's potentially not even fully grown. I like what we may have with Wilson, Gleeson competing for the spot. Lots of other prospects pushing up.

Lineout isn't a critical problem if we have a 6 like Leota, Holloway, Wright etc who can all be options. If you have short line outs you want Gleeson/Wilson out for the carry anyway.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

The comment about age was in connection to wamberal saying that maybe the Tahs should have signed Charlie Cale instead of Langi Gleeson as if Gleeson has reached his peak or something.

I'm pretty confident that Gleeson has a lot of improvement left in him and a substantial part of that reasoning is due to how young he is.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
My point with that is that I don't think there was a big gap between the criticism he's receiving for the handling errors and what would have been considered an excellent game. He had 13 tackles with 1 miss and won a turnover. His handling let him down because they happened in high leverage moments.

I think Gleeson was good last year too. He's had a rapid rise since making his Super Rugby debut in 2022 playing for the Wallabies that same year and then again in 2023 being part of the RWC squad. As a 22 year old I'm pretty happy with how his development is going.
And I guess my point was that I think you’re being overly kind. Take away the two errors and he was okay. That’s about it.

Better judges than me are picking him for Super and Wallaby tests so he is obviously going alright and has plenty of time to improve. Just think he is one of those guys we should cut back on talking him up so much and let him develop.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
I've been thinking long and hard about the 10 position (instead of working) and it's a bit of a dilemma. Gordon is by far the biggest threat with ball in hand at 10 and constantly seems to come up with a magic play but he can't kick for shit. If he's starting at 10 then you need someone like Donaldson playing at 15 which I'm not a fan of. Lolesio is probably in the best form so far and his kicking radar seems like it's been on target over the last two weeks so he's who I would have at 10, but there's been some really strong performances by Lynagh, Edmed and Donaldson behind him. If Lolesio is starting at 10 then ideally you'd have Gordon in the 22 jersey considering the impact he can bring in the last 30, but again you run into the problem of him not being able to kick goals. If he was in the 22 jersey then you'd need someone like Lonergan in the 21 jersey to kick goals but he and Gordon have never played with each other so you lose out from a cohesion perspective, or White who despite being able to goalkick doesn't actually do it very often. The make up of our halves is going to be very interesting when Wales come out later this year, and personally I can't wait to see who Schmidt backs.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Eh Gleeson was okay and part of a pretty good team effort. His main strength is in the carry and I thought he still took a fair bit of stopping which is more or less the point of an 8 even if he was contained. Similar to how Valetini is used.

Wilson the 8 of the round for Aus sides though.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Gleeson is quick. That's about his only stand-out quality. I saw a bit of him in SS and honestly wondered what the fuss is about. He was better than average, but that's not saying a lot.

Anyway I assume we are stuck with him.
I agree but I wonder with his speed and his desire to do the big run if he would make an excellent league player? I admit I know next to nothing about league...

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I've been thinking long and hard about the 10 position (instead of working) and it's a bit of a dilemma. Gordon is by far the biggest threat with ball in hand at 10 and constantly seems to come up with a magic play but he can't kick for shit. If he's starting at 10 then you need someone like Donaldson playing at 15 which I'm not a fan of. Lolesio is probably in the best form so far and his kicking radar seems like it's been on target over the last two weeks so he's who I would have at 10, but there's been some really strong performances by Lynagh, Edmed and Donaldson behind him. If Lolesio is starting at 10 then ideally you'd have Gordon in the 22 jersey considering the impact he can bring in the last 30, but again you run into the problem of him not being able to kick goals. If he was in the 22 jersey then you'd need someone like Lonergan in the 21 jersey to kick goals but he and Gordon have never played with each other so you lose out from a cohesion perspective, or White who despite being able to goalkick doesn't actually do it very often. The make up of our halves is going to be very interesting when Wales come out later this year, and personally I can't wait to see who Schmidt backs.
I agree it ain't easy and it will be interesting to see what Schmidt does in the first test. We have gone from no 10's to a bunch of them.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I agree but I wonder with his speed and his desire to do the big run if he would make an excellent league player? I admit I know next to nothing about league...
The basic attributes of literally every rugby footballer and NFL player in the world.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
The comment about age was in connection to wamberal saying that maybe the Tahs should have signed Charlie Cale instead of Langi Gleeson as if Gleeson has reached his peak or something.

I'm pretty confident that Gleeson has a lot of improvement left in him and a substantial part of that reasoning is due to how young he is.
I agree but there again so does all the young guys we have in the system atm. I ain't sure he is a test level 8 or could ever be one. If he does continue to improve maybe a 7???

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree but there again so does all the young guys we have in the system atm. I ain't sure he is a test level 8 or could ever be one. If he does continue to improve maybe a 7???

I don't really care at this point.

He's well and truly good enough to play Super Rugby and the comment that kicked this all off was suggesting that the Tahs could have signed Charlie Cale and left Langi Gleeson to play club rugby.

The reality is that he wouldn't just be playing club rugby. He'd be playing professional rugby elsewhere.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
The style of coach Schmidt is, I think Donaldson is ahead. Although Gordon kicking for touch the other night was excellent, just needs to improve his kicking off the tee.

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The style of coach Schmidt is, I think Donaldson is ahead. Although Gordon kicking for touch the other night was excellent, just needs to improve his kicking off the tee.
Looking at Sexton as a 10? Donaldson is a plodder. Gordon cannot kick for goal.

I reckon he will go for Tom Lynagh.