• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

Wilson

David Codey (61)
In all seriousness it would be good to see proper tour matches like this become more of a thing and not just for the Reds, but this has been an initiative of the QRU and looks to be pretty significantly backed by the state and city governments. Might be a while before the tahs are capable of booking something like this in, and they won't actually be helped by the number of test matches hosted in Sydney - why is the NSW government going to pay more to get the visitors that are already going to be there?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
In all seriousness it would be good to see proper tour matches like this become more of a thing and not just for the Reds, but this has been an initiative of the QRU and looks to be pretty significantly backed by the state and city governments. Might be a while before the tahs are capable of booking something like this in, and they won't actually be helped by the number of test matches hosted in Sydney - why is the NSW government going to pay more to get the visitors that are already going to be there?
It's pretty unique circumstance - only a two test series. Australia is playing Georgia in Sydney on the same weekend. New Zealand is playing Fiji. Japan is playing Italy.

Wales would normally have a third test, or find another international team to play, but they are all already booked.

It's not really a tour match, it's a substitute for a missing test match

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It's pretty unique circumstance - only a two test series. Australia is playing Georgia in Sydney on the same weekend. New Zealand is playing Fiji. Japan is playing Italy.

Wales would normally have a third test, or find another international team to play, but they are all already booked.

It's not really a tour match, it's a substitute for a missing test match
I actually think the Welsh setup might be happy to be playing this game instead of a tour match - they can charge an appearance fee for this, something not possible for a test match. The Welsh are an ideal first option as they played a tour match against the chiefs back in 2016 so are clearly open to it under Gatland, but I expect the future of this window with world rugby keen for more tier 2 tests will see plenty more opportunities for provincial sides to play these games, as long as they have the backing to secure them. The QRU have committed to it and I expect they're already looking at future options even with the Lions tour taking up this slot next year.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I actually think the Welsh setup might be happy to be playing this game instead of a tour match - they can charge an appearance fee for this, something not possible for a test match. The Welsh are an ideal first option as they played a tour match against the chiefs back in 2016 so are clearly open to it under Gatland, but I expect the future of this window with world rugby keen for more tier 2 tests will see plenty more opportunities for provincial sides to play these games, as long as they have the backing to secure them. The QRU have committed to it and I expect they're already looking at future options even with the Lions tour taking up this slot next year.
You don't think the new biennial tournament from 2026 pretty much eliminate any chance for tour matches? Every test nation will be playing three tests in July won't they?

Maybe in the Lions year when we don't get a France series

BobbyD

Peter Burge (5)
I feel 95% confident there will be a Harry Wilson, Will Harrison, Will Harris, Harrison Williams line up for the NSW U18s in the next 3 years. Default name for create a player in the Private Schools.

Glad to see an A game but against Eastwood.... Sorry @wamberal but they seem to have been gutted player wise since last year. Good effort to get 26 points up in the 2nd half. Tah As swtich off?

Waratahs A good in the first half and scrappy at the end following mass subs (a lot of Shute Shield players not usually with the Waratahs getting a game and came on – none would have helped their cause of impressing the coaching staff) with the Woodies getting the last 3 tries against the run of play in the last 5 mins.

There were some very bright spots for the future on the pitch for the Tahs A from kids in the Academy. Austin Durbidge (7) was excellent at the breakdown and Archie Saunders (13) was a class above and lightning fast. No. 11 Matt Komolafe was also very, very good. Similarly, two big units came on as subs in the second row, Lachlan Doheny and Eamon Doyle. Both apparently are still only 18 and already look around 6’6” and 110kg. They were dishing it out and seemed to have big motors. Not sure why Nathan Grey wouldn't have looked at them and Durbidge for this years U20's. Need to keep all these good young one’s from heading interstate or O/S. Jaydon Viliamu from Randwick already poached away at Stade Francais in their Academy and is still only 19.

Waratahs A vs Brumbies A this Saturday at Goulburn.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
You don't think the new biennial tournament from 2026 pretty much eliminate any chance for tour matches? Every test nation will be playing three tests in July won't they?

Maybe in the Lions year when we don't get a France series
Probably getting pretty off topic for the tahs thread, but I think there will be growing opportunity for tier 2 tour matches (with a decent chance at some World Rugby funding), though maybe not in the July window. Japan and Fiji (assuming they're the teams added to the RC) might be particularly keen for warm up matches as they come up to speed too. Also still plenty of room to catch teams either the week before the first test of 3 as a warm up, or on the way out so they can get some experience into the broader squad. There wouldn't have been a commitment to getting more of these if the QRU didn't see a path to it.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
why not? - unless having an affair ( as I understood possibly his partner was) is illegal or immoral?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
why not? - unless having an affair ( as I understood possibly his partner was) is illegal or immoral?
Well it does go to character, especially when you add in the more accurate descriptor "pregnant wife"

"illegal" no, immoral - yep

(I hate cheaters, total disrespect for the partner)

But I still want to live in a world where we show a level of belief in redemption

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
Looks like Perese is looking to go OS at seasons end which is a shame because he has been a good servant over the past few years, along with Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase). Will be interesting to see what the Tah backline looks like net year with Kellaway and Sualaii coming in. Both those players will be wasted on the wing but one of them might end up there if Max J is retained as the long term fullback. Interesting times ahead....

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Well it does go to character, especially when you add in the more accurate descriptor "pregnant wife"

But I still want to live in a world where we show a level of belief in redemption
not wanting to rehash - but apparently both were doing it suggesting a split or something. Anyway - be interesting to see where he lands - assume Japan or US. Best of luck to him.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
Looks like Perese is looking to go OS at seasons end which is a shame because he has been a good servant over the past few years, along with Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase). Will be interesting to see what the Tah backline looks like net year with Kellaway and Sualaii coming in. Both those players will be wasted on the wing but one of them might end up there if Max J is retained as the long term fullback. Interesting times ahead....
And who will be the coach?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Looks like Perese is looking to go OS at seasons end which is a shame because he has been a good servant over the past few years, along with Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase). Will be interesting to see what the Tah backline looks like net year with Kellaway and Sualaii coming in. Both those players will be wasted on the wing but one of them might end up there if Max J is retained as the long term fullback. Interesting times ahead....
JS to be a long term 13 IMO. Might begin on the Wing to get use to it and use Kellaway at 13 and figure out all three when it's time. How long is Kellaway going to be signed for?

There has been speculation around Max and eventually getting time at 10. Not sure I like it as I think he's an out & out 15 but could be another way of configuring them.

I know Gordon has had a couple of good games in a row but overall the last 18 months have been below required and the Tah Backline and whoever is at 10 will suffer until he either figures it out, or they make the move to Teddy Wilson.

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)

A couple of years ago there was a series on SBS "Guillame's Paris". In episode 8 he cooks a meal for Kurtley Beale. Worth a look.

Beale came across a grown up person. I was stunned when the story broke.

Last edited:

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I stood next to Sualaii on Friday night massive human

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Lots of Changes this weekend for the Tahs due to injuries.
Max Jorgensen ruled out with a hip injury.
Jay Fonokalafi to debut of the bench for Julian Heaven