• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

GPS schoolboy rowing 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
Schedule of Events:
9:00 AM 4th Year 10 VIII
9.08 AM 3rd Year 10 VIII
9.16 AM 2nd Year 10 VIII
9.24 AM 1st Year 10 VIII
9.32 AM 3rd VIII
9.40 AM 4th IV
9.50 AM 3rd IV
10.05 AM 2nd IV
10.20 AM 1st IV
10.35 AM 2nd VIII
10:50 AM 1st VIII

The event will be streamed and available via Live Stream: AAGPS NSW Event - 2024 Head of the River (streamer.com.au)

Please follow the link "sign up" to register to view. As this is a new provider for the AAGPS, it is advised to complete the registration to create an account prior to Saturday morning.

Spectator seating:
All Island grandstand tickets have been pre-sold via “Ticketbo”. All ticket holders to the grandstand area must show their ticket to event staff on entry. Event programs will be available for collection at the entrance to the grandstand for ticket holders FOC. Access to the pontoon and presentation area by spectators is not permitted throughout the event.

Event Parking:
Parking is available in the P5 carpark for $20 per car. The entrance for general spectators is via Gate B and Gate C. Grandstand ticket holders are permitted to take the shuttle bus to the grandstand area (island) FOC.
Parking on the island is strictly for officials and designated guests and is accessible by a specific vehicle access pass.

Food and Beverage
The canteen will be open adjacent to the grandstand and food and drink stalls will also be located on the southern bank for purchase throughout the event.

Official Merchandise
AAGPS Head of the River merchandise by Paladin Sports will be available for purchase both on the day at the stall adjacent to the grandstand.
Cheers Ruderless. My ticket is purchased and im excited for it!

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
2nd Junior is the record that seems to be most under threat, but I reckon that St Ignatius’ College 2nd Eight can get close to that 5:57…. I reckon we will also see some quick First Eight times, maybe 52s or 53s

Grip 'n Rip

Allen Oxlade (6)
I am shaking with excitement.

Extreamly keen to watch these boys who have committed to one of the hardest sports there is row down the course for what will be for a few boys, the last time ever.

Great work for all boys in the GPS for putting your hand up to row and you should all be very proud of your achievements thus far.

Rest up rowers and pull hard
~G and R

Grip 'n Rip

Allen Oxlade (6)
Which races are you all anticipating to be the tightest? Been some pretty close results thus far.
Mate I personally will keep an eye out for the 4th IV race, I have a nephew in the boat for Joeys and have come to watch all of his races out at SIRC. I think the IV's races will be the cream of the crop. Always a exciting time watching these boys.

~G and R

thewolfpack

Frank Nicholson (4)
here's the fun fact of the day, L foster (J) is the heavist rower in the GPS, I have heard that he is in for a prominate chance of making 1s in the upcoming footy season.

sorry I have made a false statement here, Lu from SBHS is now the heavist rower in the GPS at a whopping 122kg

Last edited:

CurryontheStick

Bob McCowan (2)
Mate I personally will keep an eye out for the 4th IV race, I have a nephew in the boat for Joeys and have come to watch all of his races out at SIRC. I think the IV's races will be the cream of the crop. Always a exciting time watching these boys.

~G and R
Loving that call G and R. Super keen to watch all the IV's too

Grip 'n Rip

Allen Oxlade (6)
here's the fun fact of the day, L foster (J) is the heavist rower in the GPS, I have heard that he is in for a prominate chance of making 1s in the upcoming footy season.

sorry I have made a false statement here, Lu from SBHS is now the heavist rower in the GPS at a whopping 122kg
Thank you wolfpack for clarifying that.

CurryontheStick

Bob McCowan (2)
Macpherson rowing for View in that 4th IV race is interesting. Not sure how it eventuated but I like what the Chairman said about the tussle between the favorites in Shore and View. I'm sure both crews will really be beginning to mold together now to put together a cracker of a race. Joeys and Kings certainly not out of the competition either.

Grip 'n Rip

Allen Oxlade (6)
Macpherson rowing for View in that 4th IV race is interesting. Not sure how it eventuated but I like what the Chairman said about the tussle between the favorites in Shore and View. I'm sure both crews will really be beginning to mold together now to put together a cracker of a race. Joeys and Kings certainly not out of the competition either.
Mate nail on the head there..

(maybe a little bias to joeys with relations there currently)

Joeys have consistently taken seconds off and were starting to cut the gap between them and the leaders of the pack view, shore and kings.
This weekend will show the hard work these boys have gone through for all boats.

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
It seems that King’s and St Joseph’s will carry the heaviest crews into the First VIII Race. The heaviest rowers in the same race are:

S.Hines (5,K), 98kg
A.Negline (4,J), 97kg
A.McClean (4,K), 96kg
C.Galligan (5,E), 95kg
H.Xin (H,5), 90kg
A.Mitchell (N,5), 90kg

Best power to weight to me appears to be Mitchell (J), Grippi (N) and Rusli (H).

Rusli seems to weigh less than the cox even though he’s in the Stroke seat….

KxRV23

Frank Row (1)
NSW pathways team has come out. anyone got any predictions for GPS eight i recon it'll be
Rogers (Kings)
Hennesey(View)
Brown(View)
Mitchell(New)
Tetley(New)
McClean(Kings)
Mitchell(Joeys)
Macfarlane(Shore)

I know the top 5 for a fact
anyone reckon something different for the bottom 3?

Bobcat54

Stan Wickham (3)
NSW pathways team has come out. anyone got any predictions for GPS eight i recon it'll be
Rogers (Kings)
Hennesey(View)
Brown(View)
Mitchell(New)
Tetley(New)
McClean(Kings)
Mitchell(Joeys)
Macfarlane(Shore)

I know the top 5 for a fact
anyone reckon something different for the bottom 3?
What is the process in choosing the pathways? Are boys volunteered or selected for this programme?

-Bobcat

Bobcat54

Stan Wickham (3)
AAGPS Erg Leaderboard 2023/24:

1. Rogers (K)
2. Macfarlane (E)
3. Ellis (G)
4. Hennessy (I)
5. Ciesiolka (J)
6. Hines (K)
7. T.Moloney (J)
8. Mason (K)
9. Fuller (N)
10. Pursehouse (S)

This is merely from what i’ve gathered, i’ve got a good idea of the top 5, the bottom 5 not so much, so anyone with info in this department please feel free to message me.
Bit late, my apologies - What sort of numbers are the top 3 at. Additionally, with some schools on sliding ergs and some not and View doing their 7min step rate, how are you ranking them ?

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
GPS Rowing Trophies

The 1st VIII Trophy – Major Rennie Trophy – was presented by Z.C. Rennie in 1894, and awarded from1910 onwards.

The 2nd VIII Trophy – LC Robson Trophy – was awarded from 1968 onwards. Robson was Shore’s Headmaster (1923-58).

The 1st IV Trophy – Yaralla Cup – 1893 onwards, was presented by Miss Edith Walker in 1906.

The 2nd IV Trophy – Alan Callaway Trophy – from 1918 onwards, was first awarded 1979 Callaway was a SHS Rowing Coach.

The 3rd IV Trophy – Father Gartlan Trophy from 1920 onwards, was first awarded in 1983. Father Gartlan was the founder of the SIC Rowing Club in 1882.

The 4th IV Trophy – Penrith City Council Trophy – onwards from 1927, was first awarded 1986 Awarded to mark 50 years of AAGPS rowing on the Nepean.

Note: Until 1910 the Major Rennie Trophy, donated in 1894, was awarded for the First Four race, there being no First Eight race until 1910. Similarly from 1906 to 1911 inclusive, the Yaralla Cup was awarded for the Second Four race. In 1912 the Yaralla Cup became the First Four trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.