• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Keen to find out what clubs are doing to engage WAGs and the kids during home games.
- Are clubs running kids meal deals from the canteen?
- What food options do you have that are targeted towards non-players?
- What entertainment options for WAGs and kids?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Renegades went up Windsor Road to trial against HVRU. Numbers were a bit skinny but played 4 periods of 25 minutes.

New tackle height was interesting to watch as an AR. Everyone was outraged at first and then it started to sink in. Was reaching equilibrium until fatigue set in.

LRUsoldier

Allen Oxlade (6)
it is getting excited 1 month to go now and colts is shaping up to be exciting. hunters won the subbies colts last week and a few other clubs looked strong. lindfield iwll have good numbers and depth but maybe not as sharp as some of the top clubs but should get top 4. i thought blue mountains looked better last week than last year and forest, drummoyne will be strong again. also mosman seemed to of picked up a heap of players and will be nowhere near the bottom.

in division 2 and 3 i hear expect changes. it will be a very small colts competition in division 2 it will be 6 teams. in division 3 expect only half teams to have a colts side and expect club changes in division 2 , 3 and 4 with clubs moving down from division 2, down from division 3 and more clubs coming into division 4 not in there

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
it is getting excited 1 month to go now and colts is shaping up to be exciting. hunters won the subbies colts last week and a few other clubs looked strong. lindfield iwll have good numbers and depth but maybe not as sharp as some of the top clubs but should get top 4. i thought blue mountains looked better last week than last year and forest, drummoyne will be strong again. also mosman seemed to of picked up a heap of players and will be nowhere near the bottom.

in division 2 and 3 i hear expect changes. it will be a very small colts competition in division 2 it will be 6 teams. in division 3 expect only half teams to have a colts side and expect club changes in division 2 , 3 and 4 with clubs moving down from division 2, down from division 3 and more clubs coming into division 4 not in there
Who hasn’t got colts in Div 2?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
expect club changes in division 2 , 3 and 4 with clubs moving down from division 2, down from division 3

A bit late to be changing divisions around you'd think.

Div 2 finalised and published.
Div 3 draw being drafted.
Div 4 ground availability forms were sent out last week.

more clubs coming into division 4 not in there

Well... Yeah... Currently 6 clubs listed so 2 more to add.

footy_footy

Chris McKivat (8)
Hills are advertising for Colts on Facebook - not a great sign less than a month out from Round 1.

How are Epping looking? Will they have a standalone Colts in 2024 or will it be a merger with Hunters Hill again?

If I were to accept what gets posted on this forum to be true, they'd be my two guesses.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
Spoke to Sydney Oysters Div 3 on weekend. No colts and not even trying. Expecting Easts Colts 4 to fill in again.
If prem get Colts 4 comp going then Div 3 is going to be difficult to maintain.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Spoke to Sydney Oysters Div 3 on weekend. No colts and not even trying. Expecting Easts Colts 4 to fill in again.
If prem get Colts 4 comp going then Div 3 is going to be difficult to maintain.

Didnt East 4th colts play for Sydney Harlequins?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If prem get Colts 4 comp going

It would be a crime against rugby, simply put.

Anecdote time: swung by our ground on Saturday in Kellyville. Couple of young blokes practising their goal kicking wearing All Blacks or local junior kit. The Oakhill College branded Gilberts also a dead giveaway ;) Anyway the balls sounded a bit flat off the boot, so I got our new pump out for a test. Got to chatting, and one of them was still in high school but the other had finished last year and - surprise, surprise (not) - is at Eastwood Colts this year.

I was in ref's kit at the time but pointed to the big "Renegades - Players Wanted" sign hanging on our seating nearby, and mentioned this was our home ground and we were always looking for players. Good luck this year but maybe give us a look next time etc.

The response?

"Oh are Renegades a new club?"

:confused:

Clearly the social media advertising I'm paying for in the 18+ male bracket in our area is not getting to all corners.

How many of these young guys are going to a Premier club and how much game time are they getting?

Last edited:

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
It would be a crime against rugby, simply put.

Anecdote time: swung by our ground on Saturday in Kellyville. Couple of young blokes practising their goal kicking wearing All Blacks or local junior kit. The Oakhill College branded Gilberts also a dead giveaway ;) Anyway the balls sounded a bit flat off the boot, so I got our new pump out for a test. Got to chatting, and one of them was still in high school but the other had finished last year and - surprise, surprise (not) - is at Eastwood Colts this year.

I was in ref's kit at the time but pointed to the big "Renegades - Players Wanted" sign hanging on our seating nearby, and mentioned this was our home ground and we were always looking for players. Good luck this year but maybe give us a look next time etc.

The response?

"Oh are Renegades a new club?"

:confused:

Clearly the social media advertising I'm paying for in the 18+ male bracket in our area is not getting to all corners.

How many of these young guys are going to a Premier club and how much game time are they getting?

I popped down to Rats vs Gordon grade trial at Porters. I could be wrong but appeared Rats have 90-100 players, many of them young. They will give all four grades a red hot go this year but the challenge for coaches will be for the 25-30+ players who will be bench warming most of the season.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
In the 90s our upper north shore subbies club tried to get a relationship going with Gordon rugby to help each other manage surplus players.
We were told ‘not interested’. Now the ss clubs are hoarding players and and the mid division subbies clubs are suffering.
I know its chicken and egg- more teams and facilities can breed an entising culture to play at. Would you rather play 4th grade colts at a ss club or colts for a 2-3 team suburban club with pretty basic facilities.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I popped down to Rats vs Gordon grade trial at Porters. I could be wrong but appeared Rats have 90-100 players, many of them young. They will give all four grades a red hot go this year but the challenge for coaches will be for the 25-30+ players who will be bench warming most of the season.

Dual Registration exists for just such a situation. Find a local mid-tier Subbies club, and your 4th Grade seniors or Colts 3 players can slot in with their lowest grade or Colts program. They can go between the clubs freely. Would be a genuine asset to help those clubs and keep guys match ready.