• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Renegades went up Windsor Road to trial against HVRU. Numbers were a bit skinny but played 4 periods of 25 minutes.

New tackle height was interesting to watch as an AR. Everyone was outraged at first and then it started to sink in. Was reaching equilibrium until fatigue set in.

Today saw a bit of Raptors hosting Irish. Watching the same refs we had last week, it was similar: early high tackle penalty count, then adaptation, then fatigue.

Headed over to see Blacktown v Canterbury, and got asked in the carpark if I could ref because the appointed bloke had run into car trouble. Raced home, grabbed my gear, then refereed a fairly decent spectacle (for a trial game) that ended 27-all.

Stopped at the bottleo on the way home and am now officially rooted. Not match fit :D

TheBigArvo

Sydney Middleton (9)
Today saw a bit of Raptors hosting Irish. Watching the same refs we had last week, it was similar: early high tackle penalty count, then adaptation, then fatigue.

Headed over to see Blacktown v Canterbury, and got asked in the carpark if I could ref because the appointed bloke had run into car trouble. Raced home, grabbed my gear, then refereed a fairly decent spectacle (for a trial game) that ended 27-all.

Stopped at the bottleo on the way home and am now officially rooted. Not match fit :D
Your a legend Pfitzy. Enjoy a well earned drink

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
That time of the night. Give us your best goss from the trials today!
Blacktown looked to have plenty of numbers for one grade. Including some ex-Renegades ;)
Raptors have plenty of numbers for two grades. Including some ex-renegades! :D
Canterbury had good numbers as well.
Irish looked like they were missing a few today but still time some nice lines being run.

Nothing salacious, sorry.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Breakers hosted Manly Savers for a brief trial yesterday. Good bunch of guys but looks like they are in for a tough season as they only had 14 turn up.

All eyes now turn to the Breakers vs Forest full club trial at the Portress on the 6th of April. For a trial this one is expected to attract a fantastic crowd.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Blacktown looked to have plenty of numbers for one grade. Including some ex-Renegades ;)
Raptors have plenty of numbers for two grades. Including some ex-renegades! :D
Canterbury had good numbers as well.
Irish looked like they were missing a few today but still time some nice lines being run.

Nothing salacious, sorry.
good to hear. Would be great to see player and team numbers up now we're well past covid and the delayed travel plan hurting the comp last year.

Scratching my head re Manly Savers - I saw them train at my junior club one night and there were about 4 teams - a real league of nations - perhaps post covid traveller numbers are way down.
Savers from under 13s a fed from 3 local clubs so we should start seeing a decent colts ( and presumably grade) grow off the back of that in a year or 2. The structure only started a few years ago.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Would be great to see player and team numbers up now we're well past covid and the delayed travel plan hurting the comp last year

I know what you mean.... tho I'm not sure that Euro vacation season holds quite the same place in our hearts west of Concord ;)

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
I remember years ago - 1995 I think it was... Newport or Forest ( cant remember) had qualified for the finals with 1 round to go. They rocked up to our north shore subbies club for what was a dead rubber for them, after a short bus trip absolutely blind drunk before playindg a 1st grade game.

I can confirm that a blind drunk team will lose 100 nil or therabouts to a sober one.

Should be a Mythbusters episode.