• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Very poor loss to a rampant Reds, away.
Backed up with a crushing victory over a poor Crusaders, away.
Two close losses to Kiwi teams more on their game, but still below their best, at home.

Honestly think it is 51% positive and 49% shitshow. We could be 3-1 but we're not, and maybe that's OK.

Coleman should be extended to 2025 to settle any bullshit, but needs to start performing.
I see grit and determination, I see individual sparks of brilliance, but little evidence plan and structure.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
It’s the game plan and structure… hasn’t worked for a little over 2 years. He needs to go.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Nah sacking him now won't help anything. I agree that our gameplan seems a little off. Some of the kicking last match was particularly aimless and served only to keep us under pressure. Hard to tell if that was execution of a broader issue.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
Yes. Maybe best to keep Coleman. So he can show for another season that he’s not a great coach. Good luck Tah boys. You’ll need it!

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Not sure who's to blame, but the biggest problem at the Tahs is ball retention, and that is down to three things, penalties (and lots of them), poor kicking and poor handling. As I commented on the match thread, Whittaker stated at half time on Saturday night that holding on to the football was the biggest issue spoken about at half time, and the players clearly took absolutely no notice. I don't know what the coaching staff can do beyond run on and play the game themselves.
For me, one of the first things I'd be looking at would be on-field leadership, and not just the captain but two or three senior players. Team selection also comes into it, particularly if one or two players are continually giving away lazy penalties or giving the ball away through poor handling. Regardless of what else a player is doing, a side simply can't afford a player who continually turns the football over to the other steam.
Kicking also needs to be fixed, Edmed has been poor in this area, time to look at Bowen or Harrison.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Myes... let's change coaches again. That is clearly the answer based on a decade of outrageous success for the Tahs.

giphy.gif

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
Myes... let's change coaches again. That is clearly the answer based on a decade of outrageous success for the Tahs.

giphy.gif
How the team plays and its game plan is the coach. A good coach will change tactics when it’s not working. I think the ‘cattle’ at NSW are pretty good. Maybe the players need to run the show, because it is pretty clear that Coleman hasn’t provided a winning strategy in the years he has been at the Tahs. Marky is not a fullback but a great winger. He has hardly touched the ball this year. That is dumb tactics. Let’s see how it pans out in Fiji.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Marky is not a fullback but a great winger. He has hardly touched the ball this year. That is dumb tactics. Let’s see how it pans out in Fiji.

Your answer is "chuck it to the backs".

Thanks Burkey. Or Campo. Whatever.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

I get its an oversimplification but we definitely havent done a good job creating opportunities for our outside backs. Actually, most of the time when we look threatening its one of these backs pulling something out of nothing.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)

I know you’re joking ‘Kearnsy’ but last year you were lucky to go two phases before losing possession or getting penalised at the break down, so maybe we need to “Chuck it to the backs” occasionally ! At least Marky, Jorgo and Tristan might get the ball a little more. Someone needs to tell Darren.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)

giphy.gif
But the structure and attacking shape is terrible; it’s not like they’re creating plenty of opportunities and not executing. He might be a good bloke with a drinking problem but they don’t seem like a well coached team.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I get it’s an oversimplification but we definitely havent done a good job creating opportunities for our outside backs. Actually, most of the time when we look threatening it’s one of these backs pulling something out of nothing.
And that’s the problem; we rely on Perese doing something special but that selection comes with a lot of negatives. He’s a great individual player but doesnt elevate people around him.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
There's been a lot of recent press about Coleman basically filling the GM role since Blades left with Gilmore now having half a foot in the head coach camp to cover him and whatever the decision is on Coleman's future that's what the tahs need to fix.

There does seem to be a push for Gilmore to shift into that GM role full time, the big question there will then be can you have a Coleman GM and Gilmore Head Coach pairing or is 1st time candidates in both those roles too little experience? As much as I rate Gilmore and think he should be about ready for a head coach gig, ideally you probably then want a more experienced head coach coming in who doesn't need as much guidance from Coleman. Not sure the tahs will have the money for that though.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
At this point of Waratah and Australian Rugby maybe we have to be the vehicle for experience and take the chance. Does DC have the experience for a GM role? Easy to put together good Club sides if you have a bit of $$ behind you.

Some people are critical of Gilmore but he's done a fair apprenticeship through underage and assistant roles and Aus A. I wouldn't hate it but also wouldn't be over the moon by it. I feel before the recent results a lot of QLD fans were initially a bit meh about Kiss. His history is a journeyman coach that makes OK sides a bit better but never dominated. Maybe this QLD squad is a group for him?

Realistic candidates out there?

Gilmore - Tahs assistant
Nathan Grey - Aus 20s
Cheika - For a headline
Manenti - 7s (formerly Eastwood)
Cockbain - Red Hurricanes
Hewart - Black Rams
Blackadder - Brave Lupus

Wilson

David Codey (61)
At this point of Waratah and Australian Rugby maybe we have to be the vehicle for experience and take the chance. Does DC have the experience for a GM role? Easy to put together good Club sides if you have a bit of $$ behind you.

Some people are critical of Gilmore but he's done a fair apprenticeship through underage and assistant roles and Aus A. I wouldn't hate it but also wouldn't be over the moon by it. I feel before the recent results a lot of QLD fans were initially a bit meh about Kiss. His history is a journeyman coach that makes OK sides a bit better but never dominated. Maybe this QLD squad is a group for him?

Realistic candidates out there?

Gilmore - Tahs assistant
Nathan Grey - Aus 20s
Cheika - For a headline
Manenti - 7s (formerly Eastwood)
Cockbain - Red Hurricanes
Hewart - Black Rams
Blackadder - Brave Lupus
Yeah, it looks a bit like the tahs are in the financial position QLD were when Thorn was signed as head coached and will be forced to bite the bullet on affordability vs experience. Maybe leaning more on RA structures to help support whoever ends up in charge.

The other candidates there are potentially Scott Johnson (who was up for the Reds role), Andy Friend (if he's interested), Stephen Hoiles (who looks ambitious but surely is only an AC at this stage) and Daniel Halangahu as someone a bit more left field but building a good resume. I can't see a strong argument Hanagahu or Hoiles over Gilmore given their experience though. I'm guessing the short list will look something like Gilmore, Grey and Manenti if the do go for a new coach, though who knows what Cheika will do.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I like Halangahu a lot but his interview recently seemed to indicate his intention to stay in the NZ system which to me says he's been ear marked for something because coaches go where the work is. He noted family but coaches move so maybe I'm being to speculative but he ticks a lot of boxes for the NSW job. I was hoping he was going to land in the Wallabies as an assistant.

Andy Friend would be a safe pair of hands option.

I think Hoiles should get a bit more coaching under his belt. Maybe as an assistant.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I like Halangahu a lot but his interview recently seemed to indicate his intention to stay in the NZ system which to me says he's been ear marked for something because coaches go where the work is. He noted family but coaches move so maybe I'm being to speculative but he ticks a lot of boxes for the NSW job. I was hoping he was going to land in the Wallabies as an assistant.

Andy Friend would be a safe pair of hands option.

I think Hoiles should get a bit more coaching under his belt. Maybe as an assistant.
Yeah, I doubt Halangahu will be up for it, but a head coach gig might be enough to lure him (more so than a wallabies assistant job). i just don't see him winning out.

I agree on Hoiles not being ready but I think he might put his hand up for it, he seems pretty bullish about his own future as a coach. Would be a great option to come in as an assistant or to succeed Manenti as the 7s coach, where he has spent a far bit of time assisting over the past couple of ~5 years.