• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

GPS schoolboy rowing 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCD

Banned
I wouldn't call a rightfully won head of the river a bad performance... The TKS 2022 crew was something special, and as I am sure you will, you can yap on about subclauses in the rulebook, or how the trial was supposedly rigged. But the fact is that Kings performed, and Shore failed. It went through the appropriate trial process, and I think like the majority of the gps rowing community its time you accepted this result.

RR
My understanding is that all talk regarding TKS cheating, interfering, and refusing to respond to the umpires commands was taboo. Off limits.
Granted they were a special crew…who under performed and got slower post NSW State Championships. Didn’t compete at Nationals. And then whimpered to a weekday exclusion at Henley Royal Regatta…where they were required to stay in their lane.

FCD

Banned
It was a significant change, to take the 7 man out of a boat is almost as bad as taking the stroke out, particularly if there is no time to train. You are demonstrating you know nothing about rowing. Regardless, once the Joeys crew was put back together they blew Kings out of the water on the one and only day that actually matters. Kings get
A shot at redemption this week at nationals. Will they take it, have the joeys boys been partying too much, can you taper to set a 6 second PB 2 weeks in a row….. time

Joeys rowed the fastest time of the season to win on the day that it matters. Every crew prepares all season to race at their peak at the HOTR. Peaking on the day is part of performing, in an earlier post a Kings supporter bragged that it didn't matter they hadn't raced much because Huxley is the master of the taper. To try to imply that it sucks Kings didn't win means you are trying to suggest they were the best crew of the season, put simply Kings were not the best crew, they didn't win the race that matters and they didn't row the fastest time of the season. End of conversation.
Sir, I salute you

Rowing is a brutal ruthless unforgiving sport. I’ve heard it described as a sport of the highest of highs, and the lowest of lows. With very little in between.
It’s why the kids are often told to be humble in victory and gracious in defeat.
The race is so special because it is all or nothing on one day. Whatever the weather, whatever the lane, whatever ever cards you are dealt.
Joeys 2024 and Riverview 2023 have restored some of the damage caused by special crews of the past who felt entitled to win at whatever the cost.
Go Joeys. So proud of the job done by Ravo and Mick Lane

Glory to the wyvern

Stan Wickham (3)
Got it wrong and i’ll admit that. St Joseph’s I thought were down and out after they got smacked by King’s, St Ignatius seemed a lock for the Second VIII, and Shore had just taken the 1st IV on the Nepean. Got to account for the unexpected on HOTR day next year it seems.
But did you ever really see full strength full fit St Josephs until HOTR this term due to missing gold cup, issues at SRC regatta...

Wyvern

Glory to the wyvern

Stan Wickham (3)
I disagree. I think King’s were the best crew out there, but they just didn’t have a good day, or some other factor played a part. I’d take Rogers, McClean, Hines and Mason over Mitchell, Negline, Moloney and Williams any day. Not trying to draw away from St Joseph’s victory, I just think that King’s was the best crew out there.
Chairman,

It is not about how 8 individuals row in a boat, it is about how they all row as one and it seems as though the Joe Boys were able to do so even though their ergs were not as good which you seem to see as such a determining factor. Rowing is not always about size, or the ability to scull, it is being able to work together, in every part of the stroke. I would assume that if St Josephs are victorious at Nats then you will alter your belief in who is the best crew, from Kings to St Josephs.

Wyvern

Joe Fledger

Bob McCowan (2)
Would say Joeys, shore and Kings. Also keep an eye on TSS, having a hit out with the NSW schoolboys.
Wow no view. Surprising given they were only half a second behind a kings crew who were supposedly going to win the rennie. I do think the Jo boys have a great opportunity to put a stamp on it once and for all

Again, please stop talking about rowing as if you have any idea what its like in the boat! Of course King's raced a plan. You are kidding yourself if you think a school who has consistently gotten third or better since does not race to a plan. Sometimes, for reasons beyond the control of coaches and the boys (even just poor luck), a crew that had the ability to win does not. I have not suggested that Joey's did not perform, nor that they didn't deserve the win! End of conversation. Thanks.
Poor luck? what about schoolboy rowing has anything to do with luck. there is absolutely no luck in rowing. Every action has a consequence. You pull hard and the boat goes faster, you row longer, and the boat goes faster. Contrarily, you push the legs a little slower and boat speed decreases, or you miss a catch and the boat slows down. Simple.
There is no luck in rowing and that is the beauty of the sport. Some may suggest that weather is the only luck you can have but clearly with a cross head on the weekend there was no unlucky crew.
Rowing is all about how in control a crew can be, not how lucky they are.
take a good hard look at what you know about rowing before you make accusations such as the effects of "poor luck" on a race.

Techgod

Stan Wickham (3)
Wow no view. Surprising given they were only half a second behind a kings crew who were supposedly going to win the rennie. I do think the Jo boys have a great opportunity to put a stamp on it once and for all
My mistake, i would also keep an eye on view. Apologies
-TG

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
** ARC24 - Day Three **

Congratulations to both Lochie Tindal and Will Rogers for progressing through to the A-Finals of their events. Both blokes looked sharp and relaxed as they came through the line. These rowers will compete for the National Title tomorrow morning.

MU17 1x A Final - Tindal @ 8:20am
MU19 1x A Final - Rogers @ 8:40am

They aren't a 'winning crew', they lost at the HOR. They came third. Again, like in 2019, 2020, 2022, 2023, and again in 2024 TKS didn't win.
These are tremendous results from a very good school rowing program. But you diminish the sport when winning is all you seem to fixate upon.
Preach.

The Peanut Gallery

Stan Wickham (3)
** ARC24 - Day Three **

Congratulations to both Lochie Tindal and Will Rogers for progressing through to the A-Finals of their events. Both blokes looked sharp and relaxed as they came through the line. These rowers will compete for the National Title tomorrow morning.

MU17 1x A Final - Tindal @ 8:20am
MU19 1x A Final - Rogers @ 8:40am
Would be unfair to not mention George Field who was rowing for Ignatius this season and beat Tindal in the semi-final. Unsure if the splits are right but he seemingly jumped out with ease in the semi, looking forward to see how they match up in the final.

Last edited:
Poor luck? what about schoolboy rowing has anything to do with luck. there is absolutely no luck in rowing. Every action has a consequence. You pull hard and the boat goes faster, you row longer, and the boat goes faster. Contrarily, you push the legs a little slower and boat speed decreases, or you miss a catch and the boat slows down. Simple.
There is no luck in rowing and that is the beauty of the sport. Some may suggest that weather is the only luck you can have but clearly with a cross head on the weekend there was no unlucky crew.
Rowing is all about how in control a crew can be, not how lucky they are.
take a good hard look at what you know about rowing before you make accusations such as the effects of "poor luck" on a race.
Hear hear!

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
Would be unfair to not mention George Field who was rowing for Ignatius this season and beat Tindal in the semi-final. Unsure if the splits are right but he seemingly jumped out with ease in the semi, looking forward to see how they match up in the final.

Race 185U17M1x : Under 17 Men's Single ScullSemi-Final 1
OFFICIAL RESULTSDistance: 2000M
PlaceCrewLane500M1000M1500M2000MMargins
1stST IGNATIUS
NSW
41:48.13 (1)3:43.27 (1) 7:37.21 0.00
2ndST VIRGILS
TAS
51:58.38 (7)3:47.93 (4) 7:39.862.65+2.65
3rdKINGS
NSW
31:55.18 (3)3:46.06 (2) 7:44.734.87+7.52