• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
In the 90s our upper north shore subbies club tried to get a relationship going with Gordon rugby to help each other manage surplus players.
We were told ‘not interested’. Now the ss clubs are hoarding players and and the mid division subbies clubs are suffering.
I know its chicken and egg- more teams and facilities can breed an entising culture to play at. Would you rather play 4th grade colts at a ss club or colts for a 2-3 team suburban club with pretty basic facilities.

And you also have clubs like St Ives who have I consider awesome facilities on site, yet have slowly dropped down the divisions.

You look at their history and they've won things including a Kentwell in 2001. What changed?

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Dual Registration exists for just such a situation. Find a local mid-tier Subbies club, and your 4th Grade seniors or Colts 3 players can slot in with their lowest grade or Colts program. They can go between the clubs freely. Would be a genuine asset to help those clubs and keep guys match ready.

Having props sitting on the bench struggling for a run would be criminal in rugby.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
And you also have clubs like St Ives who have I consider awesome facilities on site, yet have slowly dropped down the divisions.

You look at their history and they've won things including a Kentwell in 2001. What changed?
St Ives High no longer plays rugby. Demographic change in the area. Its an absolute travesty whats happening in general on the upper north shore.......

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
St Ives High no longer plays rugby. Demographic change in the area. Its an absolute travesty whats happening in general on the upper north shore.......
Mate, try the Epping/Eastwood/Carlingford area. Once rife with junior clubs (Epping, Hillview, North Rocks, Dundas Valley to name a few) stacked with age groups, now only one (two if you count Ryde). Rugby was thriving in the area. But there is a reason why Eastwood is moving and there are questions being asked about the Rams on this forum....

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

I don't have much to do with the junior rugby scene, but I hear Roseville Juniors have packed it in.

Yet I hear Gordon are drowning in Colts, with Brothers, Chatswood, and Wakehurst all fielding U21 this year.

Ebb and flow. Not enough volunteer support.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
But there is a reason why Eastwood is moving

I'm interested to see how sustainable that move is. Anyone around the Castle Hill area knows that a lot of apartments are going up, and a lot of people moving into the area are not from rugby playing backgrounds.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Great news re stags brothers and wakehurst. A decent colts program is so important for player continuity. As long as they act like clubmen and put into to the club.

LRUsoldier

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hills are advertising for Colts on Facebook - not a great sign less than a month out from Round 1.

How are Epping looking? Will they have a standalone Colts in 2024 or will it be a merger with Hunters Hill again?

If I were to accept what gets posted on this forum to be true, they'd be my two guesses.

Spoke to Sydney Oysters Div 3 on weekend. No colts and not even trying. Expecting Easts Colts 4 to fill in again.
If prem get Colts 4 comp going then Div 3 is going to be difficult to maintain.

i will dance in the amazon naked if these teams are playing colts.eyes on the prize says tim richards is banning entry from sru clubs

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Lots of rumours swirling around. I wouldn't read anything into it until we have confirmation from Subbies.

1710799209673.png

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
yeah they are not allowed to play.

so sydney harlequin won't have a colts team this year

So what is subbies strategy here? Force Shute Shield to have a 4th grade colts comp or hope it falls apart and those players go looking elsewhere for a run? tell them they are dreaming..

footy_footy

Chris McKivat (8)
Seen a few on the socials - Forest hosting Terrigal in Grade and Mosman in Colts. Hunters Hill have a big day with UNSW and Hastings Valley in Grade and then UNSW and St Pat's in Colts. St Pat's Grade playing Hills (Hills mustn't have Colts). Briars and Beecroft also lining up. May be a bit early yet for some of the Div 1 clubs.