• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

GPS schoolboy rowing 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
They aren't a 'winning crew', they lost at the HOR. They came third. Again, like in 2019, 2020, 2022, 2023, and again in 2024 TKS didn't win.
These are tremendous results from a very good school rowing program. But you diminish the sport when winning is all you seem to fixate upon.
Ok, it's time to stop talking about this. Joey's won HOTR fair and square. By winning crew, I simply mean good enough to have been in the mix (and indeed, throughout the season and in the past). Does this mean they won? No! Does this mean they were entitled to win? No! Am I diminishing the execution of Joey's on the day? No! And I think you'll find that in every post I have made, I have not said counter to this. Indeed, when I said it sucks when winning crews do not win, this applies to shore 2021! To shore this year even! It was a general comment with examples given for the Kings crew in particular.

I am sorry my messages seemed to imply something different.

Poor luck? what about schoolboy rowing has anything to do with luck. there is absolutely no luck in rowing. Every action has a consequence. You pull hard and the boat goes faster, you row longer, and the boat goes faster. Contrarily, you push the legs a little slower and boat speed decreases, or you miss a catch and the boat slows down. Simple.
There is no luck in rowing and that is the beauty of the sport. Some may suggest that weather is the only luck you can have but clearly with a cross head on the weekend there was no unlucky crew.
Rowing is all about how in control a crew can be, not how lucky they are.
take a good hard look at what you know about rowing before you make accusations such as the effects of "poor luck" on a race.
By luck I meant having a good/poor row on the day. It is in fact possible for good crews to perform badly (e.g. Shore 2021) in a way that was completely unpredictable and unprecedented (what i meant by poor luck). Does this mean the winning crew is not entitle to their win? NO! Have I ever said otherwise for Joeys? NO!

Again, like I said before, I would like to stop talking about this now - Joey's won HOTR. They were the better crew on the day. End of.

• Confused
Reactions: FCD

Rod dennis

Peter Burge (5)
As the schoolboy season almost over, I'd like to draw some peoples attention to the surfboat rowing season that is all but a month from concluding at nationals in Queensland. In the under 23 division alone there are countless former first VIII rowers giving the "wild side" of rowing a crack. As someone who partakes in surfboat rowing myself, I couldn't recommend it enough for a first VIII rower leaving school but not willing to continue with the life ruining 11 session a week regiment. With surf boats, you get a challenging and downright frightening sport that is just as thrilling as it sounds. All of this while only having to train around 4-5 times per week including ergo to be competitive. Couldn't recommend enough !!!

RD

Reactions: FCD

FCD

Banned
As the schoolboy season almost over, I'd like to draw some peoples attention to the surfboat rowing season that is all but a month from concluding at nationals in Queensland. In the under 23 division alone there are countless former first VIII rowers giving the "wild side" of rowing a crack. As someone who partakes in surfboat rowing myself, I couldn't recommend it enough for a first VIII rower leaving school but not willing to continue with the life ruining 11 session a week regiment. With surf boats, you get a challenging and downright frightening sport that is just as thrilling as it sounds. All of this while only having to train around 4-5 times per week including ergo to be competitive. Couldn't recommend enough !!!

RD
Couldn’t agree more
Surf boat rowing might well be an avenue leading to coastal rowing at the Olympics?
There’s every chance that still water rowing will make way for coastal/beach rowing in the not to distant future…

Scrum Sandwich

Frank Row (1)
Only new to the forum and unsure if it has been discussed in depth(if at all), but I would love to hear the predictions for next year's season(I know it has only just finished).

To be absolutely honest, I'd be backing View. It's no surprise that the Dan Noonan led shed would love to have the day all over again, but to place 4th in a 1st 8 race, and go sub-6, with 5 out of the 9 Year 11's is nothing short of special. When you combine that with 6 out of the 8 in the winning 1st and 2nd IV and 2 of the seemingly unstoppable 2nd VIII in Year 11, there is plenty of hope for the Ignatius shed for next year.

In saying that, Shore seem to have put their foot in the door early with some outstanding Junior 1st and 2nd VII results as well as a mixed bag in the Senior IV's.

I can't see many other schools competing, particularly for the Major Rennie, but would l would love to hear other's opinions.

restarted_persone

Bob McCowan (2)
Too early to say, depends on who spends the most time on the ergs during the winter season, but the way things stand now:

1st VII - View/Shore for early wins.
2nd VII - View/Kings
1st IV - Shore/View
2nd IV - Kings
3rd IV - View
4th IV - no idea
1st Year 10 VIII - New
2nd Year 10 VIII - New
3rd Year 10 VIII - no idea
4th Year 10 VIII - no idea

hopefully this helps and welcome to the forum catcher

Techgod

Stan Wickham (3)
Too early to say, depends on who spends the most time on the ergs during the winter season, but the way things stand now:

1st VII - View/Shore for early wins.
2nd VII - View/Kings
1st IV - Shore/View
2nd IV - Kings
3rd IV - View
4th IV - no idea
1st Year 10 VIII - New
2nd Year 10 VIII - New
3rd Year 10 VIII - no idea
4th Year 10 VIII - no idea

hopefully, this helps and welcome to the forum catcher
I honestly can't say I see Newington having that much of a dominant 1st and 2nd junior VIII. Yes, they had dominant quaddies, but this doesn't always transfer into the VIII's.

I would also say that Shore may have a slightly better chance in the 2nd Viii than Kings, having almost all year 11 members of the iv's and a very dominant 1st and 2nd JNR Viii's. But those three schools I would say are looking the best coming into the 2024/25 season.

Professor62

Ted Fahey (11)
Ok, it's time to stop talking about this. Joey's won HOTR fair and square. By winning crew, I simply mean good enough to have been in the mix (and indeed, throughout the season and in the past). Does this mean they won? No! Does this mean they were entitled to win? No! Am I diminishing the execution of Joey's on the day? No! And I think you'll find that in every post I have made, I have not said counter to this. Indeed, when I said it sucks when winning crews do not win, this applies to shore 2021! To shore this year even! It was a general comment with examples given for the Kings crew in particular.

I am sorry my messages seemed to imply something different.
Joeys deserved their victory more than Kings or any other school did in my opinion. when it comes to a winning crew, or the best crew, nobody looks further than Joeys who had the most wins this season. Yes, Kings had the fastest time leading into HOTR (5:54), however that time was an outlier. Joeys won that race.
-Professor

I honestly can't say I see Newington having that much of a dominant 1st and 2nd junior VIII. Yes, they had dominant quaddies, but this doesn't always transfer into the VIII's.

I would also say that Shore may have a slightly better chance in the 2nd Viii than Kings, having almost all year 11 members of the iv's and a very dominant 1st and 2nd JNR Viii's. But those three schools I would say are looking the best coming into the 2024/25 season.
I agree here - I can see Kings 2nd 8 get around 3rd or 4th next year due to somewhat shallow depth in the juniors and a lack of returning 1st 8 rowers. I would also add that their coach, Randell, is leaving to coach PLC, which will further hurt their chances.

Rod dennis

Peter Burge (5)
Only new to the forum and unsure if it has been discussed in depth(if at all), but I would love to hear the predictions for next year's season(I know it has only just finished).

To be absolutely honest, I'd be backing View. It's no surprise that the Dan Noonan led shed would love to have the day all over again, but to place 4th in a 1st 8 race, and go sub-6, with 5 out of the 9 Year 11's is nothing short of special. When you combine that with 6 out of the 8 in the winning 1st and 2nd IV and 2 of the seemingly unstoppable 2nd VIII in Year 11, there is plenty of hope for the Ignatius shed for next year.

In saying that, Shore seem to have put their foot in the door early with some outstanding Junior 1st and 2nd VII results as well as a mixed bag in the Senior IV's.

I can't see many other schools competing, particularly for the Major Rennie, but would l would love to hear other's opinions.
I agree, you only have to look at prior crews with large amounts of experience, such as Scots 2020 (had 5 year 11s in 2019 8) and kings 2022 (had 7 year 11s in the 2021 crew). Its the simple factor of "ive been here before this is what happens now" which often proves the difference on the day

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
Will Rogers is the ARC24 National Champion in the Men's Under 19 Single Scull event.

Lochie Tindal is the ARC24 National Runner-Up in the Men's Under 17 Single Scull Event with George Field from Riverview 3rd.

1710976238553.png

1710976202697.png

The President

Frank Nicholson (4)
Looks like Shore, St Josephs and Kings 2nd VIIIs have been entered into the SB4+ race as well as Shore and Ignatius' 1st IVs. It will be interesting to see how they shape up against the non-AAGPS schools

Backintheolddays

Bill Watson (15)
Looks like Shore, St Josephs and Kings 2nd VIIIs have been entered into the SB4+ race as well as Shore and Ignatius' 1st IVs. It will be interesting to see how they shape up against the non-AAGPS schools
Might be the better rowers at their schools but quite a bit of nuance changing to 4s/quads. Good luck to them

Joe Fledger

Bob McCowan (2)
Looks to be a huge tailwind out at SIRC. The Shore 1st IV crew pulled a 12-second PB... I'd imagine Hutchins won't pose much of a threat to St Josephs, Shore, Kings and Ignatius. Nonetheless, this tailwind looks like we might see some crews break the 5:50 mark!
Will it keep up into tomorrow evening. If so would make for some very interesting racing maybe benefiting those lighter crews a bit more

restarted_persone

Bob McCowan (2)

Will it keep up into tomorrow evening. If so would make for some very interesting racing maybe benefiting those lighter crews a bit more
techgod: just wanted to say that the reasoning behind my prediction for New is due to the fact that from what I have heard, their 2k ergs are a step above the rest and they have the depth shown throughout the season in the quads to really fill those 2 eights. However, you are correct in pointing out the significant difference between the eights and the quads.

Fledger: does this mean view and shore might have a solid chance to podium being lighter than the Joeys and Kings crews?

Status
Not open for further replies.