• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2024

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Full time, Brothers 25 def Randwick 18. Scrappy game with lots of penalties throughout, many of which were for "high" tackles.
Hopefully this is not an indicator of what to expect in the upcoming season.

Last edited:

VDLRugby19

Frank Row (1)
Hunter Wildfires Donny Freeman talks about his journey from Country NSW (Orange) to playing Shute Shield with the Wildfires. How having a pathway to professional rugby outside of Sydney is so important and a decisive factor for many country kids to follow their dreams. Reflects on his time with the Western Force and playing for them in Bloemfontein and provides insights in the Wildfires Season 24 preparations

Last edited:

Cuz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Any trial results for weekend? any smokies for good season?
heard rats have flogged anyone theyve played so far. clean sweep over norths yesterday, and the saturday before that clean sweep over gordon.
Randwick over Eastwood out at Camden. Randwick fairly dominant early & Eastwood came back at them in the 2nd half...

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Any trial results for weekend? any smokies for good season?
heard rats have flogged anyone theyve played so far. clean sweep over norths yesterday, and the saturday before that clean sweep over gordon.
Bruised bodies at Manly v Wests - close games. Trials I've seen to date - The Shute will be close again this season.
Depth will play a part - clubs that focus on the club championships should come out of the back end in good stead.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Bruised bodies at Manly v Wests - close games. Trials I've seen to date - The Shute will be close again this season.
Depth will play a part - clubs that focus on the club championships should come out of the back end in good stead.
As much as it might hurt a Marlin are the Rats going to be the big improvers? You say Club Championship contenders will be in a good spot. They are bringing through a lot of talented kids.

Obviously Easts look like they will climb the ladder. Been promising a lot for a few years but with a new coach, additional talent I'll pick them to finish top 3.

Eastwood to drop back this season. Too much change for me. Also saw a number of the Colts who played with the Brumbies U20s now listed against Canberra Clubs.

HarryElite

Herbert Moran (7)
As much as it might hurt a Marlin are the Rats going to be the big improvers? You say Club Championship contenders will be in a good spot. They are bringing through a lot of talented kids.

Obviously Easts look like they will climb the ladder. Been promising a lot for a few years but with a new coach, additional talent I'll pick them to finish top 3.

Eastwood to drop back this season. Too much change for me. Also saw a number of the Colts who played with the Brumbies U20s now listed against Canberra Clubs.
Eastwood did have a wallaby and melbourne rebels player playing their last trial and i hear bringing in a lot more rebels players who arent playing games that weekend in super rugby. I think they will be pretty decent still. a lot of young talent.

Rats top 4 i would say. pressure would be on. heard theyve spent 6 figures on player signings and relocation costs for housing flights and cash figures. fair play to them if they can do it - they will be awesome to watch i think

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)

My prediction is the Rats are in for a massive season in 2024. I know its early but I think all four grades are a real chance. They have recruited 15+ new players into the club and have a wave of outstanding colts coming through grade this year. The biggest challenge will be people management for them, with many players having 1st grade aspirations that will find themselves in 3rd or 4th grade given their depth. Easts, Randwick and Uni to be the challengers and daylight to the rest.

VDLRugby19

Frank Row (1)
Rats beat Norths
Randwick beat Eastwood
Manly beat West Harbour
Western Sydney beat Souths
Easts beat Syd Uni
Gordon beat Queanbeyan
Hunter / Souths from brisbane - no idea
Souths (Brisbane) 30 defeated Hunter 7
Souths just to big, strong and had the connection and composure.
Hunter have a fair few new players and have a physical pre-season still blooding people into their systems.
Caught up with
Garrick Morgan (Souths Head Coach)
Toutai Kefu (Souths Coach)
Donny Freeman (Hunters No.7 & Force Pre Season)
Rob Puli’uvea (Hunter Captain, after the match)
Link to Robs Interview

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Looking at the draws:

Wildfires aren't in 3rd or 4th Grade or Colts 3 (but have added Colts 2?)
Two Blues aren't in 4th Grade or Colts 3
Eastwood, Norths, and Randwick aren't playing Womens XVs - genuine shame that, for all their depth in mens, these clubs can't put a women's side together. Campbelltown Harlequins (Illawarra) and Western Raptors (Subbies) will fill two of those spots.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I also hear that, like Subbies, not everyone is going to be deep in numbers in their lowest grade. To be expected if guys aren't getting game time.

You'd need a crapload of registered players to keep 4 + 3 going

Last edited: