• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So - 6 rounds in. How do we all feel?

From a results perspective, I would have expected us to beat the Force but the two x kiwi results are unexpected from my perspective. Brumbies I don't think I ever expect a win but would have liked one as it was at home.

I have been a little critical of our handling, but perhaps overly so. We are playing a different game aren't we? More upbeat and higher risk so it will take some time to stick. If I step back, I am very happy we are playing that type of game so guess I need to wear a bit of increased chance of mistakes.

I am thrilled with our discipline. I think we are the only team who hasn't been carded??? That's remarkable considering our history.

A little disappointed in some players who don't seem to have raised their game (the more experienced players such as Jock and Suli). A couple who I think should be taking their game further (Tate and Wilson). But others who have found more from their game (McReight, Wright, Uru, Smith (despite some fumbles), Faagase, Nonggorr, Lynagh, Paisami, Flook, Grealy).

Our next four games are all against sides from the kiwi conference. That will decide our season.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
I’ve been quite happy with Wilson. He himself plays a higher risk game which does see him get smashed in the tackle somewhat but we need to put that in the context of the phase of play that follows and I think he is recycling the ball very well at the breakdown. The whole team is doing this much better.

It sometimes doesn’t look pretty and it may never all the time with Wilson but I think if you looked at what happened after he touches the ball this year in comparison to last year I would hazard a guess that our net advantage line is further forward which has been a key to our wins this year. We are getting really good metres phase after phase. The players haven’t changed that much but the way we value possession has even though the risk level has increased.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
^^ Also apparently you access the pre-sale via the code on your members pass, it's not emailed out individually...
Which will hopefully solve the shit-fight that occurred for the B&I Lions Pre-Sale where half the members received their pre-sale code and half didn't.

But i still haven't received any emails about the pre-sale so please correct me if that's incorrect

Last edited:

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
In the context of building on last year's disappointing season 3-3 is a solid start, but it does feel like there has been some missed opportunities.

Pluses, the maul is an absolute weapon, always the sign of a well coached team.
Ambition and scoring points has generally been great. The tactics of playing our highly skilled ball playing forwards in Uru and Wilson wider has paid off for the most part.

Onwards and upwards from here, and watch out comp

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Am I correct that Fa’agase will be available for the next game? And how is Hodgman’s recovery going?

George Blake is pretty decent for a 6th or 7th choice prop but both Fa’agase & Hodgman were playing well before suspension/injury. It would be good to have either back for the next game.

O’Connor must be close to a return too. It will be interesting if he comes straight back into the 23. I feel a lot will depend on where he is at speed wise.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
O’Connor must be close to a return too. It will be interesting if he comes straight back into the 23. I feel a lot will depend on where he is at speed wise.

he needs a run in club rugby first.

& who is he displacing? The utility position that Lawson had last game I feel like should go back to HMP

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe he should play club first. That’s certainly an option to see how his fitness is going. He’s had a lot of injury issues so possibly the safer option too - but I’ll leave all that to the S&C staff. Personally I think O’Connor is still a better player than Creighton or McLaughlin-Phillips and I’d have him in front of both if fit - although I’ll qualify my response by saying it is heavily reliant on whether O’Connor’s speed is at an acceptable level. Which could well be an issue coming back from injury.

Our bench lacks experience and I feel O’Connor’s skills are still up there with the best so I wouldn’t be disappointed to see him straight back in the mix. He’s also a handy kicking option for the back end of games.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Do agree TSR on our bench lacking depth and that argument was evident in the case of the wallabies at last years World Cup.

sometimes you gotta sacrifice the better player for the person who will make the better play.

I do have concerns though at O’Connor. Another year closer to 40. I don’t think he offers the utility cover that he once did. Can’t see him playing 11, 13, 14 or 15 anymore. His positions are 10 & 12.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)

If I’d been told at the start we’d be 3-3 I’d be pretty happy. We seem to have come off the boil a bit but, personally, I’m still pretty happy with how we are going. By no means are we playing at our best - even in the wins there have been plenty of missed opportunities but we are making some solid progress and a few players like Lynagh, Grealy and Daly have shown they can play at this level.

We do need to sort a couple of things though to kick on from here. In no particular order -
- lineout has gone from being very reliable in the first 4 rounds to shaky in the last 2. Both the Force & Brumbies has some success targeting us there
- breakdown work needs to be more precise
- we need a bit more punch from the bench. Getting Hodgman and Fa’agase back will help, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Blyth and Brial get an opportunity. I think Daly & Bryant have both been decent but I’d like to see if the others can offer more
- in a similiar vein Kiss doesn’t seem to have a lot of confidence to throw Thomas on for 15-20 to up the pace of the game. I know McDermott is skipper and competes every second he is out there but it’s a tough gig for a 9 to be impactful in rhe last 15. Wouldn’t mind seeing Werchon get a shot
- really hoping Campbell can get back to his form of two years ago as I think that would add a lot to our attack. Also hoping Vunivalu can really kick on and I thought there were some good signs early but still along way from where I thought he would be and I don’t continue to hold much hope

Given we’ve lost the last 2 I think it’s a really good time for our bye. I know pro rugby is often about getting back on the horse but I feel like a chance to re-set is a big plus.

Then the next 2 games become really important if we want to compete for top 4. Which I am not sure if that is realistic for this sqaud at present, but certainly is mathematically on the current table.
I agree that Werchon should have a go. His playing style is similar to Tate's.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I do have concerns though at O’Connor. Another year closer to 40. I don’t think he offers the utility cover that he once did.
The Reds backline is still very green. You're bang on James's physical attributes, but, I think having James in the mid field guiding Lynagh/HMP and the rest would do wonders to help them read the game.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Just bought 4 tickets to Reds vs Wales, pre-sale code from membership card worked to unlock the tickets. Plenty of seats available, they're priced at $65 for Platinum down to about $25 for Bronze
Yeah, picked up my tickets as well, and was not limited to the number of members passes we had.

Pricing is the same as a standard super rugby game which feels like a nice concession after how expensive all the lions tickets have been.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Anyone have a pre-sale code they're willing to message me? The general sale doesn't happen until 16th April and I am buying for a large group.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
once the non-club / members / rugby club Taffys are able to buy - you'd think this game would be close to a sellout wouldnt it?