• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Signings and re-signings have started.

This is for confirmed contracts, as much as possible. Let me know if I missed any.

Queensland Reds 2024 (37 signed)

Les Kiss - Head Coach (2026)
Brad Davis - defense and backs (2026)
Jonathan Fisher - breakdown and forward skills (2026)
Zane Hilton - set piece forward (2026)
Dale Roberson - academy (2026)

Hookers:
Richie Asiata -2024
Josh Nasser - 2024
Matt Faessler - 2025

Props:
Zane Nonggorr - 2024
Sef Fa'agase - 2024
Alex Hodgman - 2025
Peni Ravai - 2024
Massimo De Lutiis - ???
Jeffery Toomaga-Allen - 2025
George Blake - ???

Locks:
Ryan Smith - 2024
Angus Blyth - 2025
Cormac Daly - 2024
Connor Vest - 2025
Taine Roiri - ???

Backrow:
Liam Wright - 2024
Connor Anderson - 2024
Fraser McReight - 2025
Seru Uru - 2025
Harry Wilson - 2025
Joe Brial - 2025

Scrumhalf:
Tate McDermott - 2027
Kalani Thomas - 2025
Louis Werchon - 2024

Flyhalf:
Tom Lynagh - 2025
Lawson Creighton - 2024
Harry McLaughlin-Phillips - 2025

Centres:
James O'Connor - 2024
Josh Flook - 2024
Jordan Petaia - 2024
Hunter Paisami - 2024
Taj Annan - ???
Isaac Henry - ???

Wings:
Suliasi Vunivalu - 2025

Fullback:
Jock Campbell - 2024
Mac Grealy - 2024
Floyd Aubrey - ???

WTS / EPS:
Trevor King - 2024
Max Craig - 2024
Tim Ryan - 2024
John Bryant - 2024
Frankie Goldsbrough - 2024? (possible Academy)

UNSIGNED:

CONFIRMED GONE:
Taniela Tupou - Melbourne Redels
Filipo Daugunu - Melbourne Redels
Harry Hoopert - Force
Lopeti Faifau - Force
Luke Jones - Retired
Dane Zander - ???
Phransis Sula-Siaosi - ???
Wilson Blyth - ???
Keynan Tauakipulu - ???
Spencer Jeans - ???

Last edited:

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
It really makes it hard to build a team when there are so many short term contracts.

To have 25 un-contracted players and only 14 contracted past the seasons end is a lot. While I get it’s part of the course in super rugby I do think it is detrimental to performance

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Navosailagi signed a dual contract with 7s and the Reds at the start of the year, no details on length but I'd have to assume it's more than a year for the dual contract to make sense. One to watch for more details.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
I've had others corroborate the rumour that Kalani is very much looking to move, so could be one for the rumoured gone column

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
It really makes it hard to build a team when there are so many short term contracts.

To have 25 un-contracted players and only 14 contracted past the seasons end is a lot. While I get it’s part of the course in super rugby I do think it is detrimental to performance
This is just the result of a lot of talent being brought in within the space of 2yrs; most have been 2-3yr contracts, which is pretty standard and a length of time that benefits both players and clubs alike imo

You're not going to sign anyone except marquee players on 4yr+ contracts

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
This is just the result of a lot of talent being brought in within the space of 2yrs; most have been 2-3yr contracts, which is pretty standard and a length of time that benefits both players and clubs alike imo

You're not going to sign anyone except marquee players on 4yr+ contracts
I get that with market pressures it is the reality of the game

Wilson

David Codey (61)
A lot to hopefully re-sign there amongst what is still a very young squad. There are definitely some gaps we need to fill though, even if we managed to retain everyone. I'd love to see us bring in a bit more experience going into next year but I'm also interested in anyone on the club scene people think might be a chance

As far as positions go I think our biggest gaps are in the tight 5, we'll likely need a couple of props and we could definitely improve at hooker. Lock has been a weakness this year too, if we could get an upgrade there that would be great. I feel like it's pretty likely we'll lose Daugunu too, especially if we are re-signing Vunivalu, so we may need an experienced back 3 option if Aubrey's not quite ready.

As far as guys to bring in goes, these are a few who stand out to me and are potentially available:

Bring home:
Brandon Paega-Amosa - Contract status a little unclear, I believe it's through 2023 with an option for 2024. Has just picked up a potentially long term injury which may make it easier to sign him
Lukhan Salakaia-Loto - Unlikely he's available but if he is (or the ongoing financial turmoil in the prem sees him offloaded) I'd love to see him straight back. Change in coach at wallaby level may mean there's money available for him again from RA
Harry Hockings - Unclear on contract status but if we are moving on from Thorn (and Cordingley) it might be an opportunity to bring him back into the fold
Callum MacDonald - Not sure he had enough involvement in the reds program for it to truly be "coming back" but he is a Queenslander. Haven't seen much of him but he's at 204cm and 120kgs (when he was 19) he's a big unit. Currently over with Suntory, if Eddie has liked what he's seen in the past there may be some RA money to help
Samu Kerevi - I know it sounds like a done deal that he is staying in Japan, but on the off chance it's not I'd love to see him back at Ballymore
Lukas Ripley - Off contract at Melbourne, I'm sure they'll want to hang onto him but if we lose a couple of players around centre/wing I'd definitely like to see him back in QLD

Recruitment targets:
Jordan Uelese, Pone Fa'amausili, Cameron Orr - All 3 are off contract with the Rebels and look to be stuck behind star players, I'd be talking to all of them though wouldn't necessarily want all 3 at once. Uelese probably only if BPA is not an option (or it becomes clear Eddie knows something we all didn't)
Chris Talakai - Apparently leaving Bayonne, not sure if he's picked up another contract. Could be a good experienced option to bring in if he's cheap
Matt Phillip - Off contract down in Melbourne and would be a great addition. Sounds like the tahs may have got him though
Richie Arnold - Signed for Toulouse until 2025 but with wallaby interest it sounds like RA might be looking for a way to get him out of contract and home. Would be worth getting if RA are funding his homecoming
Fergus Lee-Warner - Has been jerked around a bit with the ongoing financial strife in the English prem and is off contract at the end of season. I'm not the biggest fan of him but it'd probably piss Force fans off which would make it worth it
Louis Lynagh - I believe he's off contract with Quins and may have dropped down the pecking order with England. Never capped and with his brother signing on for a few more years he could be tempted to join him. Probably only makes sense if we lose an outside back or two

Club players to watch (by no means exhaustive, just a few who have stood out):
Harrison Lloyd (Brothers) - Experienced prop, probably an upgrade on Zander
Alex Davies (UQ)- Looks like a good prospect at prop
George Francis (Souths)- Not sure about his ability to make the step up to a professional program, but I think he has enough raw ability to bring in for a full pre-season to see if he can make it. Probably only if we've picked up an experienced prop as well though.
Seb Hanna (Brothers)- early days, but has had a cracking start to the season and maybe a good candidate for a dual contract with 7s
Josh Collins (GPS)- need to see more as he returns from injury but he's shown a lot of pace in the past and could be a good candidate for a dual contract with 7s

Feel like there might be a few stepping up at Souths this year, but the obvious ones are already in the academy I think.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tahs have Botha, Holz, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) when all fit. Botha's looked decent - maybe try go after Holz or Botha?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Tahs have Botha, Holz, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) when all fit. Botha's looked decent - maybe try go after Holz or Botha?
Not sure they're really what we need, Holz maybe but I think the tahs will try hard to hang onto him. If we're signing a tighthead from outside the QLD system I'd want someone who would at least be pushing Nonggorr for the start, I don't see that from Botha. I'd rather we try and bring Van Nek back first, but that shapes as pretty unlikely.

If we can get BPA back we have a lot more flexibility in the rest of the front row, his scrummaging makes a massive difference to the guys around him.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Top post Wilson.

I have heard LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is actually keen to return.

Not experienced props, but probably better options than Zander and Fa'agase, but I wonder it Tiaan Tuakipulu might want to come and hang out with his brother? Perhaps Andrew Romano might want to come back east as well.

Then what about Teddy Wilson as a Tate understudy with Thomas wanting to sit on the bench in NZL? Bring him home. Might as well grab Harry as well just to confuse people

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Top post Wilson.

I have heard LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is actually keen to return.

Not experienced props, but probably better options than Zander and Fa'agase, but I wonder it Tiaan Tuakipulu might want to come and hang out with his brother? Perhaps Andrew Romano might want to come back east as well.

Then what about Teddy Wilson as a Tate understudy with Thomas wanting to sit on the bench in NZL? Bring him home. Might as well grab Harry as well just to confuse people
Yeah, Tauakipulu would likely be a better long term option then Botha for us if we were looking at the tahs list.

Not sure we desperately need another halfback if Thomas goes with Jeans and Werchon coming through, but the Wilson's are Queenslanders at heart so I wouldn't say no. Could end up running two sons of Michael Lynagh, two sons of David Wilson and a one of Brendon Nasser for a real sons of the World Cup vibe.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I’ve seen Tauakipulu play a bit at Shute level and he’s not really anything special imo. Doesn’t stand out at all.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Van Nek's future probably hinges on what Sefo Kautai does. With Allan Ala'alatoa signed to 2027 or thereabouts, there is a bit of a logjam after him at THP with Rhys, Sefo and Tom Ross. Rhys would be a good get if he is available, but he might also want to stay where he is and where his talent has been appreciated.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Cabous Eloff would be my number 1 target, I don't know what it would take to get him, but with Tupou going to the Rebels then he is likely to be one rung lower on their team list.

He can play both sides and I am guessing will get Wallaby top ups when he becomes eligible.

Reactions: Ged

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Cabous Eloff would be my number 1 target, I don't know what it would take to get him, but with Tupou going to the Rebels then he is likely to be one rung lower on their team list.

He can play both sides and I am guessing will get Wallaby top ups when he becomes eligible.
He's got another year left on his contract but I do think the rebels would be open to a release if they needed to clear room to keep Pone.