• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Poor Heenan, still inheriting the same issues that Brad Thorn inherited (Cordingly).

the reds can’t prosper until Cordingly is gone. His stubbornness to close all communication channels with Piccone has set this franchise back.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I think appointing Heenan to HC right now would be the worst thing for both he and the Reds. He's got a wealth of experience at QPR, but let the guy get his feet steady at Super Rugby before throwing him completley in the deep end.

The only way it works with Heenan as HC are some truly experienced AC's who he can lean heavily on, otherwise we're creating a poor environment for him and just setting him up to fail.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Poor Heenan, still inheriting the same issues that Brad Thorn inherited (Cordingly).

the reds can’t prosper until Cordingly is gone. His stubbornness to close all communication channels with Piccone has set this franchise back.

Yeh one thing about player management that appears evident now, over the last 5 years is the Reds have been trying to create their success with gameplans centred around single dominant players.

They used Kerevi 90% of the time for their attack before the left, then when he went the void was filled with Tupou who was able to dominate at the set piece and impact around the field.

They seem to be trying to do similar with Wilson this year, he's become the focal point of attacking ball in the forwards (options are lacking).

Maybe the mindset is changing on that front, because they've banged out a number of key re-signings across the park over the past few weeks.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Atko has done a run down of coaching contenders to replace Thorn:

I'm in two minds about Heenan as a candidate, I agree he's still very green and there's a risk associated with that but it has an impeccable club cv and if we can't find away to effectively elevate the best of QPR that's a bigger issue. It might all come down to the experience we can put around him if he was head coach vs the head coach we could get keeping him on as assistant. I do like the idea of Howard in as director of rugby alongside him given they're long standing association, but I'm not sure that's enough.

If it isn't Heenan I'd want to see an experienced head coach with runs on the board to help bring him through - Deans, Cotter and Rennie are the stand outs from that article, though Rennie seems unlikely and may create too much friction with Rugby Australia to be worth it.
Disappointed that @rodha doesn't make the list tbh. It'd be hard to pass up the opportunity to bring someone on board who has such extensive coaching insights.

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Are there any promising locks, props running around in QPR that might be worth a look in? Tight 5 a huge concern for the reds and will continue to be unless they find some players with firepower to build their pack around. Smith and Nonggorr the only tight 5 forwards who deserve their spot currently imo.

Reactions: Ged

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Key take out from article above:

"On January 18, the question was put to the Queensland Rugby Union that perhaps the person they should be appointing to succeed Brad Thorn as Reds head coach was Dan McKellar, formerly of the Brumbies and, at that point, still an assistant Wallabies coach.
That was just three days after Eddie Jones had been appointed to replace Dave Rennie as Wallabies head coach for the next five years, a position which McKellar had expressed interest in.
He was ripe for a Queensland approach yet back came the response from Ballymore that McKellar would only be in the mix. “But our current Wallabies would have a strong view”, read the texted reply.
It was a jaw-dropping response. The Reds’ contingent in the Wallabies has been shrinking dramatically in recent years, long before McKellar even served as a selector. And when he was asked to help choose the team and favoured the Brumbies, form would suggest he was perfectly entitled. The fact Jones subsequently has only chosen four Reds in his 33-man squad surely says it all.

But the more important question was surely, “Why was the QRU allowing its players to decide who would coach them, especially as they have been underperforming for a number of seasons?”"

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Atko has done a run down of coaching contenders to replace Thorn:

I'm in two minds about Heenan as a candidate, I agree he's still very green and there's a risk associated with that but it has an impeccable club cv and if we can't find away to effectively elevate the best of QPR that's a bigger issue. It might all come down to the experience we can put around him if he was head coach vs the head coach we could get keeping him on as assistant. I do like the idea of Howard in as director of rugby alongside him given their long standing association, but I'm not sure that's enough.

If it isn't Heenan I'd want to see an experienced head coach with runs on the board to help bring him through - Deans, Cotter and Rennie are the stand outs from that article, though Rennie seems unlikely and may create too much friction with Rugby Australia to be worth it.
Deans and Cotter would be massive for SRP (Super Rugby Pacific). I'm not sure if any Aussie Super Rugby side can afford them

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Reds took a big punt on the appointment of Thorn with so little experience behind him and I think they have really paid the price for it. They effectively invested several years in letting him learn on the job by giving him the head coaching role and that gamble hasn't paid off at all.

It's hard to see them going down the same sort of road again with Heenan.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
The Reds took a big punt on the appointment of Thorn with so little experience behind him and I think they have really paid the price for it. They effectively invested several years in letting him learn on the job by giving him the head coaching role and that gamble hasn't paid off at all.

It's hard to see them going down the same sort of road again with Heenan.
Absolutely. Now they have to sign an experienced coach

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Hi All,

I am an avid supporter of the Tahs, but the Reds have always been my second team. Go figure.

We have our fair share of problems this year, and DC is finding out the hard way what the second-season blues are all about.

In all honesty, this year has been abysmal for Super Rugby franchises in Australia. We are going backward, it is disheartening, and I show up every week or turn on the TV with little to no expectations. Yes, I know, Brumbies aside, who have consistently performed and are well-placed.

The Brumbies are my least favourite team, and in fact, I borderline hate them, but you have to admire their setup and caching smarts (except for sending a B team to play the Crusaders, I will never forgive them for that one!! They thew that game away).

My point is:

Do the Brumbies really have better players than the Reds and Tahs? I say no, but it is their coaching and structure that give them the identity and brains to play the game. In addition, they have the right tools in place to give their players the best chance to perform.

I said earlier this season that playing Debrezini/Lonergan - White/Lolesio in 40-minute combos was a brilliant idea. They don't try and "find" a spot in the starting 15 for all 4...

In the meantime, the Thas play Donaldson/Ehmend/Gample/Hooper/etc all at once! Player out of position everywhere!

Back to the Reds, yes, they need a new coach, but more importantly, they need a coaching team that is NOT learning how to coach at the top level. They need established coaches with a plan! Enough of these inexperienced coaches that "could" be great. Aus Rugby NEEDS a strong Reds team!!!

This might be an unpopular opinion, but watching Tate score that try over the weekend made me realise the Reds don't know how they want to play; they rarely get their wingers involved. Yes, it was a great try, but any other player gives it to their unmarked winger to score that try. Classic Tate trying to do it all by himself - It paid off this time, I know.

Yes, Filipo D has regressed, and I feel that he has a foot OS, and Vunivalu lacks confidence - I suspect he is afraid of getting injured, which is playing with his head. But I don't see any backline moves or general play that gets the wingers involved or gives them a chance to score like NZ teams.

I could go on and on, and sorry about the long rant...I am one disheartened fan this season that will always stick around; geez, I can not see myself watching any other sport, BUT please gives us something!!

That goes for all Aussi teams!!!

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
What are the chances of getting Ewen McKenzie back? Has he closed the door on coaching for good? Would be good to have him (one of the best rugby brains in recent times) back at Ballymore.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Are there any promising locks, props running around in QPR that might be worth a look in? Tight 5 a huge concern for the reds and will continue to be unless they find some players with firepower to build their pack around. Smith and Nonggorr the only tight 5 forwards who deserve their spot currently imo.
I think part of the problem is that we seem to be only getting players from QPR. Can't replace wallabies with clubbies and expect it to get stronger. Yes some will improve in the right environment but this is like looking for a Head Coach and only looking in the carpark. Heenan deserves to get a chance as an assistant, and maybe next as U20 Head Coach - but so far his professional experience has been dismal, under a declining Head Coach - this does not scream ' promotion'.

Angelo Smith was QPR but Rebels got him, and Wilson Blyth already in the Reds, as is Vest, Upfield & Faifua - all whom are regular club players. Cant imagine there are any current locks who would add value to the team and make it stronger. Just more kids in the pipeline. Like having apprentices taking over the job because you don't have a Master crafstman or 2 and lean on a couple average journeyman.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I can't imagine McKellar, having just left the Brumbies to focus on the Wallabies gig full time, would've wanted to take over the Reds if he had remained in the country while still in his role with the Wallabies...

Ever done a winter in Brisbane Slim? Not many better places to live, especially one in Canberra or the UK.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I think part of the problem is that we seem to be only getting players from QPR. Can't replace wallabies with clubbies and expect it to get stronger. Yes some will improve in the right environment but this is like looking for a Head Coach and only looking in the carpark. Heenan deserves to get a chance as an assistant, and maybe next as U20 Head Coach - but so far his professional experience has been dismal, under a declining Head Coach - this does not scream ' promotion'.

Angelo Smith was QPR but Rebels got him, and Wilson Blyth already in the Reds, as is Vest, Upfield & Faifua - all whom are regular club players. Cant imagine there are any current locks who would add value to the team and make it stronger. Just more kids in the pipeline. Like having apprentices taking over the job because you don't have a Master crafstman or 2 and lean on a couple average journeyman.
One of the things I’d point the finger at is in the off season, the reds played around 3-4 games at home or in Japan. There was a lot of club guys getting opportunities which is all warm and fuzzy for community, but unfortunately warm an fuzzy doesn’t win games of rugby. It should have been high performance at all times with guys only getting opportunities if they genuinely are a chance of playing rugby next season. But I think this is a larger issue that all the Aus Super Rugby teams seem to have to battle the fine line between community and professional that other sports definitely don’t battle and other rugby teams don’t seem to battle. People in Bris don’t seem to care that Adam Reynolds, Kotoni Staggs and Payne Haas aren’t from QLD. They have kiwi and English internationals in their team and it’s not an issue. So it’s not a QLD thing, it’s a QLD rugby thing. I don’t think we are ever moving forward as a game in this country until we move forward from these rugby style identity politics.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ever done a winter in Brisbane Slim? Not many better places to live, especially one in Canberra or the UK.

The warm glow of playing finals in the English premier league, showered in all of those pounds is probably making him very comfortable...

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I think part of the problem is that we seem to be only getting players from QPR. Can't replace wallabies with clubbies and expect it to get stronger.

This all goes back to Cordingly.

he is in some idiotic argument with Piccone and his management agency who look after approx 90% of all the premiere rugby talent in Queensland.

get rid of Cordingly and find a GM who will work with Piccone and new start.