• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I reckon they've kept Thorn on a year too long. His results were already sliding badly last season and his team had the exact same issues from the beginning of his tenure.

Moving on from him after last season would not have been unreasonable.
Moving on from a coach one season after winning a conference title, and following a season plagued by injury, would be a pretty rash decision wouldn’t it?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Indeed that is true, kinda the problem isn't it?

Not really, we can’t keep everyone. Van Nek was coming through the system when we had what seemed to be a dominant forward pack and had just been to the Super AU final and then the following year won that comp. He was right to look for other opportunities.

As much as we hate to lose QLD products who then end up flourishing, no sporting organisation keeps 100% of their talent.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I just hope that whoever is chosen, assuming Thorn goes is universally considered capable of the role, this will at least allow for all fans to support whatever direction is chosen
I would hope they appoint Samson as I thought he did a good job with the force. He's a Qld'er which may help.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Moving on from a coach one season after winning a conference title, and following a season plagued by injury, would be a pretty rash decision wouldn’t it?
Not really. Only won that comp on a missed knock on call. Then got towelled up by Kiwis, two years in a row. By the end of last season it was pretty clear they were on the road to nowhere. Not sure their injury list has been markedly worse than other squads, everyone missing key players; good squads and coaching make it work.

The entire house of cards relied upon Tupou playing 80 mins every week.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
'Spose this is subjective but Rugby Australia certainly didn't hesitate to chase Eddie when he became available.

I reckon they've kept Thorn on a year too long. His results were already sliding badly last season and his team had the exact same issues from the beginning of his tenure.

Moving on from him after last season would not have been unreasonable.

Is McKellar of the level that you can effectively offer him the gig starting from the next year without pursuing any other options? You would also know that of any appointment you could make it might not sit well with your players and fans.

I feel like it would have had an unbelievably high chance of backfiring because they'd have been unlikely to sign McKellar and their team would have all found out about the fact that they were looking to find a replacement for Thorn before the season even started.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I can get people bringing up some past successes but as of right now the Reds look to be floating backwards. From an outside point of view there seems to be very little plan and not much in the pipeline. Make a call now and build it back before it gets to a point where it's a shit job for a good coach to go.

I also don't just want to lump it all on Thorn. GM and others should have their positions looked at also.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Is McKellar of the level that you can effectively offer him the gig starting from the next year without pursuing any other options? You would also know that of any appointment you could make it might not sit well with your players and fans.

I feel like it would have had an unbelievably high chance of backfiring because they'd have been unlikely to sign McKellar and their team would have all found out about the fact that they were looking to find a replacement for Thorn before the season even started.
Available, experienced and moderately succesful Super Rugby coach. One of a kind, basically. Who are they looking at now? Thorns equally ill equipped assistant.

Yeah, definitely be a risk. The unsettled player issue is unbelievable to me. They all suck. Who gives a fuck what they think? Besides, cant be much more unsettled than they already are. List of lost Qland talent is as long as my arm.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Available, experienced and moderately succesful Super Rugby coach. One of a kind, basically. Who are they looking at now? Thorns equally ill equipped assistant.

Yeah, definitely be a risk. The unsettled player issue is unbelievable to me. They all suck. Who gives a fuck what they think? Besides, cant be much more unsettled than they already are. List of lost Qland talent is as long as my arm.

He wasn't available to their knowledge. He was still employed as an assistant coach with the Wallabies.

Unless they had some inkling that he was interested in returning to Brisbane, I can't see how it would have resulted in anything other than not signing McKellar and pissing off all their players.

Their core group of players in Wilson, McDermott, McReight etc. is important to them. Even if they're not enough for them to have a winning team they still desperately need them.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
A lot of people probably give a fuck what guys like McReight, Wilson, Tate, Flook and Petaia think. It's not good for Rugby Australia if these guys all decided to jump ship. Same goes for the Reds as an organisation, they've got sponsors to get over the line. Considering the rugby itself isn't really a drawcard at the moment, it would be detrimental to the organisation if they lost all the players that actually make them slightly better.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
But so much so that they are unwilling to take a moderate risk to improve performances beyond shit? How do you progress as an organisation in that situation?

An approach to replace your failed manager shouldn't result in your entire playing staff revolting. Particularly when those players comprise a handful of fringe Wallabies.

This is probably an unpopular opinion but guys like McReight and Wilson simply arent good enough to be able to hold so much sway in how an entire franchise is run.

Last edited:

Alex Ross (28)
He wasn't available to their knowledge. He was still employed as an assistant coach with the Wallabies.
Blind Freddy could see that once Eddie was given the Wallaby job on a long contract that McKellar would be looking for an exit.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Blind Freddy could see that once Eddie was given the Wallaby job on a long contract that McKellar would be looking for an exit.

Sure, but there's a significant difference between McKellar searching for a new job and the ability to resign from his current one and another Australian team trying to headhunt a Wallabies assistant coach right before the season started.

McKellar would have known Thorn was off contract at the end of the season and if he was at all interested in that job he could have asked.

If the Reds make the approach I reckon there is a miniscule chance they would have been able to sign McKellar for 2024 and a very high likelihood that the news of them trying to recruit Thorn would have become public and would have completely undermined their 2023 season right before the season started.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think McKellar going to the English Premiership is a great move for his coaching career. If he has success there and potentially somewhere else he will be undeniable for an international job should he want it down the line. Sure, if he coached the Reds to success it would be good but he's had success in Australia and might want a change of scenery as well following a bumpy last 12 months with the Wallabies and RA changes.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Not one mention of Andy Friend, he’s leaving Connacht and returning to Australia. Spent time in Super Rugby, overseas and 7s. Knows how to play with a squad with tighter resources than some of his competition (kiwi teams).

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Players typically will back the incumbent. The downside to not doing so can be detrimental to careers. Players backing a coach in my eyes means that there probably isn’t anything wrong with the existing coach and his methods, however you could always bring in someone that offers more than the current level of coaching and organization.

For the Love of the Game

Stan Wickham (3)
I would hope they appoint Samson as I thought he did a good job with the force. He's a Qld'er which may help.
Fully agree, think he played 173 1st Grade games for the Bank. Qld'er through and through. Liked what he did at the Force. Think they can kick themselves for not hanging on to him for another couple of seasons.