• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2024

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
It's a loooooong season and depth will be key. The Butcher Stripes have plenty and will be favourites in my book. The Melbourne Rebels (aka West Bulldogs) will be right there in Prems if someone picks up the airfares. The Magpies are my "smokey" this year. Discipline and fitness has always been an issue there but I think they are cooking up something good this year. Tiggers will struggle this year after a number of key players moving on. GPS always a question mark. Norths and Sunnybank will cause a few upsets and gets the locals excited. UQ will be in the 4 with some influx of new talent and some good depth. Can't wait for the weekend.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Souths are the big movers for mine, they have recruited well bringing in Roibiluku and Vest with Sean Farrel also back from Italy and Toutai Kefu joining the coaching setup. They should still get Harry McLaughlin-Phillips for most of the season too. They're otherwise less exposed to any Rebels related chaos (Wests) or Wallabies selection off the back of Reds success (Brothers) than last years finalists.

Bond will be the other interesting one, if only to see what Heenan can do with them.

The Engine Room

Ward Prentice (10)
Souths are the big movers for mine, they have recruited well bringing in Roibiluku and Vest with Sean Farrel also back from Italy and Toutai Kefu joining the coaching setup. They should still get Harry McLaughlin-Phillips for most of the season too. They're otherwise less exposed to any Rebels related chaos (Wests) or Wallabies selection off the back of Reds success (Brothers) than last years finalists.

Bond will be the other interesting one, if only to see what Heenan can do with them.
Can't get a read on Bond. Have not appeared much in pre-season chatter and seem to be bunkered down in the GC. The disappointment of last season's capitulation will hang heavy on them I think and their grade depth is very questionable (they can never field more than 3 grades). Henno will work his magic but I'm not convinced. What has been their player movements?? or any intell from the few trials??

Last edited:

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Can't get a read on Bond. Have not appeared much in pre-season chatter and seem to be bunkered down in the GC. The disappointment of last season's capitulation will hang heavy on them I think and their grade depth is very questionable (they can never field more than 3 grades). Henno will work his magic but I'm not convinced. What has been their player movements?? or any intell from the few trials??
I know only trials but have heard they’ve been starting 4 colts in 1st grade.

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
Is it the drive early on a Saturday that deters potential players?

They have a partnership with a university, TSS nearby, and a monopoly on QPR grade rugby in GC. It's not like they're Norths which has to compete with Brothers next door.

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
I think the stronghold of rugby league is a big part of it.

While yes union has TSS, at the same time you have powerhouse league schools like Palm Beach and Keebra. Then you have Tweed Seagulls and Burleigh Bears for club and then titans.

A lot of boys from TSS have chosen league for the opportunities and went straight from school to Mal Meninga cup at Burleigh in the hope of getting picked up by NRL clubs (if they hadn't already from school) and then will play for Bond if they don't get anything.

Family friends son was at TSS. Played union all his life, Made all the school union rep teams but didn't get any contracts. Decided to have a crack at league before the union season at bond and subsequently got NRL contract.

Unless you're a union player through and through and have desires on playing professional union, i guess the lure of opportunities from league is what gets players.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Red Heavies bringing back the collar this year, new title favourites:
1712106793210.png

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Having a little internal chuckle to myself with this rain.

Wests had a fence around their paddock all summer and turned a dusty mud pit back into a world class green paddock.

if the downpour persists do we see QPR games rescheduled or do we see Wests say “F It… its game time!”

imagine a few training sessions around Brisbane tonight have been cancelled?

Red Twist

Allen Oxlade (6)
Having a little internal chuckle to myself with this rain.

Wests had a fence around their paddock all summer and turned a dusty mud pit back into a world class green paddock.

if the downpour persists do we see QPR games rescheduled or do we see Wests say “F It… its game time!”

imagine a few training sessions around Brisbane tonight have been cancelled?
Similar thoughts crossed my mind.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Prems team lists are starting to come out. What are the forums thoughts? I was hoping we would see more Reds players for the important first round.
Yeah, a bit surprised at the lack of Reds names from the wider squad given its the bye round. Might be that most of them take the chance for a bit of leave over this weekend though (rather than being held back by the Reds).