• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2025

Oldgoldminer

Herbert Moran (7)
We need experienced and with a profile. Maybe some of you live with your head up your ass, but Waratahs have been woeful for a decade and have no profile.
They have some real talent coming and coming through at the 19-23 age group. This generation has been a failure like none before them and only a recognised coach will fit the bill. Cheika is the only Australian option.

There might be a couple from OS who might strip him in certain aspects of coaching, but not many. I doubt he would come back to this level now anyway. The Waratahs are so far down the pecking order and the cost of living in Sydney doesn’t make it all that attractive with the exception of the Kiwis that have fallen in a massive financial hole.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Cheika's an interesting one. It doesn't look like a particularly attractive option for a successful international coach, but he is a Sydney boy, grew up in Coogee, Randwick Boys High and played all his rugby there. He also seems to be attracted to battling sides needing a lift, as was the case with Lienster, who were staring at relegation when he arrived, and his last visit to the Tahs, who were (as they are now) Aus rugby's massive under-achievers.
Interestingly, some pundits are suggesting he will be approached to take over the coaching job at Parramatta in the NRL, and it's no secret he's always been attracted to the concept of coaching an NRL side.

Oldgoldminer

Herbert Moran (7)
J
Cheika's an interesting one. It doesn't look like a particularly attractive option for a successful international coach, but he is a Sydney boy, grew up in Coogee, Randwick Boys High and played all his rugby there. He also seems to be attracted to battling sides needing a lift, as was the case with Lienster, who were staring at relegation when he arrived, and his last visit to the Tahs, who were (as they are now) Aus rugby's massive under-achievers.
Interestingly, some pundits are suggesting he will be approached to take over the coaching job at Parramatta in the NRL, and it's no secret he's always been attracted to the concept of coaching an NRL side.
Just another sign of how far the tweed jackets let the game slide.

Agent

Darby Loudon (17)
I think he just subscribes to the old "get the press to focus their attention on my crazy antics" method of coaching, taking the pressure off his players

Our old mate EJ (Eddie Jones) tried that method - it went slightly pear shaped! Having said that I think Cheik is a lot less crazy than Eddie and is the best man for the job.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He did but they are arguably the most resourced program in the world. As soon as the French and Irish started climbing he wasn't able to maintain it. Feels like the Wallabies he took over first time around.

Eddie did what he's done everywhere. Can get something from a group but it always ends in tears and a mess. He just did it in record time here second time around.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Coaching is tricky. There is a need for a deep understanding of rugby and how it is best played, then an ability to outthink the opposing coach. Plus you live or die by who you bring in and who you keep.
Then to trump it all you need a deep understanding of human nature to be able to get them up for a battle every weekend of the season.
Some coaches have some of this but the Tahs need all of it. Maybe they need a coach who will take them back to basics and build the team from there.
Whoever gets the job will have my sympathy and my eternal thanks if he can lift them up.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah it'll be a big shift by whoever gets it but your points show why it's important to get assistants who will be effective as well as a GM who can facilitate the system so we don't need to build the team from basics or pick players and hope.

Assistants should be doing a majority of the teaching aspect and identifying the next crop. I struggle to think of a successful sporting side that doesn't have a coaching team and not just the head honcho being of a high standard.

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
He did but they are arguably the most resourced program in the world. As soon as the French and Irish started climbing he wasn't able to maintain it. Feels like the Wallabies he took over first time around.

Eddie did what he's done everywhere. Can get something from a group but it always ends in tears and a mess. He just did it in record time here second time around.

And his greatest screw-up of them all seems to have been forgotten - the season when he killed the Reds.

Oldgoldminer

Herbert Moran (7)
Waratahs need a hard nosed approach from someone like Cheika. The guy took Argentina to a WC semi final, along with provincial championships. He is a winner and his record stands up next to anyone. Tim Horan said exactly the same thing overnight. The Waratahs, like it or hate it, are the key brick in the rebuild of the Wallabies. This has to be a major signing at the Cheika level.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Any staff from the Rebels? Or bin 'em all?
I'm not sure I'd be in a rush to grab any of them. Parling is probably the one I rate most highly and he's off with the Wallabies. Sampson the next most likely either as an outside chance for head coach or more likely as an assistant.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Why do I like Wessels more than Foote, Foote has had better results.. Maybe I think Foote had more chances.
Foote looks to have under performed with the squad available to him much more than Wessels ever did I think. Wessels did look to be building something once he finally worked out how to integrate Force players, which he admitted to getting wrong initially. Just couldn't quite get through that covid period and fell on his sword, somewhat admirably.

There's an argument that Wessels would be a great candidate for the tahs if they are going to try and absorb a bunch of Rebels players, given his experience doing that and with the players in question, but I don't think there is anyway he's leaving his new high performance role with South Africa.

Homer

Larry Dwyer (12)
Just get Mackellar back. Schmidt has already said he wont be around forever and there needs to be a succession plan.
Dan and Palmer fit the mold.