• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2011 IRB Player of the Year

Player of the Year 2011 will be...

• Genia

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Pocock

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Kaino

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Nonu

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Weepu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dusatoir

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
You maybe believe Harinordoquy is stronger than Dusautoir, but this year Dusautoir won the Top 14 as a captain this year and was in the H Cup semi final (great game against Leinster) whereas Harinordoquy is struggling with Biarritz in the Top 14!

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
So wait is this one all forms of footy or just international?

Because if it is club aswell Genia and Dusatouir deserve to be there.

But still no clue about Weepu

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Some of these nominations are rediculous. Agree with Pocock, Nonu and Kaino feel they are there by right. Forget any NH v SH bias bs if a player is good enough to be nominated he should be there but no way are some of those guys in the top 6 performers from 2011 especially on the international stage.

Genia you could make a case for, but still think there are players who've performed better than him that should have been there ahead of him.

Dusautoir seems to be there simply because they felt that they had to nominate someone from the other WC finalist. The spot probably would have gone to Roberts if Wales had got there. That's annoying since it demonstrates that whoever was nominated wouldn't have been considered as a contender. Dusautoir's only chance of winning is if France win on Sunday and then only because the ABs nominated will automatically become the worst players in the world based on a losing performance in the WC final. It doesn't matter how good a season he had in Europe prior to the WC it was never going to be good enough in WC year.

I think there's a lot of players such as Roberts, O'Brien, Carter, Ioane who would feel disappointed not to be up there.

As for Weepu, his nomination is a joke. He's not even in the top 6 of the AB performers for this year. I wouldn't even put him in the top half of the scrum halfs from the 8 quater-finalists. How many of the quater finalist would seriously swap their 1st choice scrum halfs for him? If it was Weepu that went down in training instead of Carter there wouldn't have been such a reaction and you wouldn't have people wondering if NZ could win the WC without him. There would have been a few pieces about how unlucky he is with injury and some speculation about who would lead the haka and that's it. But it seems now that he's on kicking duty he was nominated just incase he slots the winning kick on Sunday.

It always seems to happen WC year that the rest of the year is completely ignored. Then in two years time the world player of the year will probably come from whoever wins the Lions series.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Nonu or Kaino for me with Nonu more likely because his highlight reel will look better in the video clips

Richo

John Thornett (49)
“The IRB Player of the Year Award is the ultimate accolade for a player to receive in his career. It takes on added significance in a Rugby World Cup year and takes into account player performances in all major internationals, including matches in the RBS 6 Nations and Tri Nations,” said IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset.

snip!

The IRB Player of the Year nominees were selected by the IRB Awards independent panel of judges, which is chaired by Australia’s RWC 1999 winning captain John Eales and is made up of former internationals with more than 500 caps and four Rugby World Cup winners’ medals between them.

The IRB Awards panel comprises some of the biggest names in the Game with Will Greenwood, Gavin Hastings, Raphaël Ibanez, Francois Pienaar, Agustín Pichot, Scott Quinnell, Tana Umaga and Paul Wallace having deliberated on every major Test played in 2011, starting with the opening RBS 6 Nations match and culminating with the RWC Final.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/news/newsid=2059599.html#irb+player+year+nominees+announced

Apparently the award doesn't include club/provincial performances. Also, it turns out that Nobody isn't quite perfect. ;)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You would think that Weepu's nomination is based almost entirely on having an excellent RWC.

Like most people, I think Kaino or Nonu have to win. I'd probably tip Nonu to win the thing.

An award like this should help him secure the contract to be the new face of Covergirl Eyeliner and Mascara.

T

TheNextBigThing

Nonu for sure. Surprised at Genia who has had a worse season than last year and the exclusion of Beale (who has been better than last year when he was nominated) or Ioane.
Re: Harinordiquy he hasn't been starting since the 6 nations.
Very surprised O'Brian didn't get a look in after his six nations and World cup performances. Although Ireland were comprehensively atrocious in the warm up matches.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I agree with sudrugby that Harinordoquy is not the best French player. I like the Georgian frog, however you spell his name.

Weepu - joke; Genia - can think of plenty of better players. I'm just glad that McCaw isn't winning it again.

I would also have thought that Read would be in the list. Did he miss some games?

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
I agree with sudrugby that Harinordoquy is not the best French player. I like the Georgian frog, however you spell his name.

Weepu - joke; Genia - can think of plenty of better players. I'm just glad that McCaw isn't winning it again.

I would also have thought that Read would be in the list. Did he miss some games?

...perhaps you didn't watch the All Blacks in the 2nd half of the Tri-Nations or any of their World Cup pool games?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Any chance of Pocock actually getting this? I'd like to think that the way he has always stood out in an often beaten pack will count for him. Kaino would still be a deserved winner but he has less influence on the ABs results than Pocock ours.

J

Jay

Any chance of Pocock actually getting this? I'd like to think that the way he has always stood out in an often beaten pack will count for him. Kaino would still be a deserved winner but he has less influence on the ABs results than Pocock ours.

I suspect they'll give a huge weighting to the RWC final. I'd be astounded if the winner wasn't from whichever team wins on Sunday.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

The way Kaino has stood out in an outstanding pack could equally go in his favour.

Kaino for my money.

Status
Not open for further replies.