• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2011 Team Of The Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Surely Barnes has a way to go yet before he makes a shortlist, since he's only played one game against the USA. I'm sure he will though, class act.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
My bad, change that to Russia (with half a game against the USA too). My point's still that those games don't really warrant a second place on a team of the tournament shortlist. Certainly not above Roberts, who has had very strong games against the boks, etc.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
There was no order to the list, I'd also have Monro ahead of O'Gara and The Beast ahead of Roncero.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Looks like this thread has branched out.

Folks should make it clear if they are voting for a Team of the Tournament or the Emerging Team. I am loathe to start yet another thread as my purpose has been to limit the number of them.

Let's see how it goes - making it clear.

My Emerging Team (made up from players whose teams did not make it to QF), and yes there are some established "stars" there but the selection criteria is they play for a team that is not in RWC11 QF.

1. Sona Taumalolo (Ton)
2. Shota Horie (Jap)
3. Mihaita Lazăr (Rom)
4. John van der Giessen (USA)
5. Leone Nakarawa (Fij)
6. Aaron Carpenter (Can)
7. Maurie Fa'asavalu (Sam)
8. Victor Gresev (Rus)
9. Alexander Yanyushkin (Rus)
10. Tusi Pisi (Sam)
11. Alesana Tuilagi (Sam)
12. Paul Emerick (USA)
13. DTH van der Merwe (Can)
14. Vladimir Ostroushko (Rus)
15. Chrysander Botha (Nam)

Edit:

Bench:
Mahonri Schwalger (Sam)
Martin Castrogiovanni (Ita)
Heinz Koll (Nam)
Sergio Parisse (Ita)
Kahn Fotuali'i (Sam)
Siale Piutau (Ton)
Sean Lamont (Sco)

Coaching Staff:
Head Coach I Maka (Ton), Asst Coach N Mallet (Ita)

Non Traveling reserves
Mamuka Gorgodze (Geo)
Anthony Perenise (Sam)
Jamie Cudmore (Can)
George Stowers (Sam)
Hirotoki Onozawa (Jap)
Danie Van Wyk (Nam)
Chris Paterson (Sco)

The selectors of the HJ Invitational RWC11 Team of The Tournament will be meeting after RWC11 Final to announce their Team.

Country Kid

Chris McKivat (8)
Looks good HJ

Wouldn't it be a buzz to see your emerging team actually get a run against quality opposition, say a super team ?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's hard to look past Georgian backrower Gorgodze....

Particularly after his consecutive motm performances against England and Romania, and has been consistently great throughout the tournament...

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
My Team of the Tournment so far

1- Cian Healy
2- Bismark du Plessis
3- Martin Castrogiovanni
4- Luke Chateris
5- Dannie Roussouw
6- Jerome Kaino
7- Sam Warburton
8- Mamuka Gorgodze
9- Kahn Foutili'i
10- Rhys Priestland (this is a tough one, no one has really stood out for mine).
11- Richard Kahui
12- Ma'a Nonu
13- Jamie Roberts
14- George North
15- Israel Dagg

Reserves: Stephen Moore, Mike Ross, Richie Gray, Sean O'Brien, Piri Weepu, DTH van der Merwe, Sean Lamont.

HM: Sergio Parisse, Juan Martin Fernandez-Lobbe, Felipe Contepomi, Patricio Albacete, Manu Tuilagi, George Stowers, Francois Steyn, Schalk Burger, Henrich Brussouw, Marius Tincu, Victor Greesev, Aaron Carpenter, David Pocock, Alexander Yanyushkin, Danie van Wyk, Vincent Clerc, Maxime Meddard, Dimitri Yachvilli

Note: Warburton over O'Brien because SOB has been playing out of position.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's very good tigerland12, I would've had Luke Charteris instead of Gray.

O'Brien instead of Gorgodze.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
1. I thought E.Murray from Scotland in there just based on his performance against the Poms. He absolutely took them to the cleaners and surely deserves to be in contention.
8. Parisse or Gresev for mine, both have carried their countries. Gresev was MOTM against the Wallabies and Parisse has been everywhere for the Azzuri, he has shown great ball handling and tremendous skill.
9. Yachvilli probably also deserves a HM
10. Monro (CAN) has been a revelation for mine and walks straight into the 'emerging team' but I think as backup 10 for this side O'Gara would have to be there. He offers a cool head and has been superb since replacing Sexton, in fact, probably won a few games on the back of his kicking.
11. Clerc, one of the leading try scorers and easily the best french back. He has been great so far, I'd have him over Lamont as my outside back on the bench.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
My Team of the Tournment so far

1- Cian Healy
2- Bismark du Plessis
3- Martin Castrogiovanni
4- Luke Chateris
5- Dannie Roussouw
6- Jerome Kaino
7- Sam Warburton
8- Mamuka Gorgodze
9- Kahn Foutili'i
10- Rhys Priestland (this is a tough one, no one has really stood out for mine).
11- Richard Kahui
12- Ma'a Nonu
13- Jamie Roberts
14- George North
15- Israel Dagg

Reserves: Stephen Moore, Mike Ross, Richie Gray, Sean O'Brien, Piri Weepu, DTH van der Merwe, Sean Lamont.

HM: Sergio Parisse, Juan Martin Fernandez-Lobbe, Felipe Contepomi, Patricio Albacete, Manu Tuilagi, George Stowers, Francois Steyn, Schalk Burger, Henrich Brussouw, Marius Tincu, Victor Greesev, Aaron Carpenter, David Pocock, Alexander Yanyushkin, Danie van Wyk, Vincent Clerc, Maxime Meddard, Dimitri Yachvilli

Note: Warburton over O'Brien because SOB has been playing out of position.
Paul O' Connell and Stephen Ferris don't even get an HM, an Irish girl must have really broken your heart Tigerland that is the only explanation!?!

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I believe POC violates the long-standing 'no rangas' rule in all G&GR World XV Selections.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Paul O' Connell and Stephen Ferris don't even get an HM, an Irish girl must have really broken your heart Tigerland that is the only explanation!?!

THere has been way better backrowers then Ferris. I'll admit O'Connell probably deserves a mention, I forgot him, but those loosies I've mentioned were/are playing so much better then he was. Most of them (Parisse, Greesev, Stowers, Carpenter) were stand outs in losing sides aswell.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think you made a mistake.......Genia has definatly not been the best 9

Don't think that's been his fault. Like Gregan before him, he's not great when the forwards are backpedalling. Behind the forward 'pack of the tournament' he'd be back on top form

P

PTB

Putting out my top 3 nominations in each spot now, should be able to cut these down after the finals.
1. Roncero (ARG), Mtawarira (RSA), Perenise (SAM)
2. du Plessis (RSA), Schwalger (SAM), Servat (FRA)
3. Castrogiovanni (ITA), Murray (SCO), Figallo (ARG)
4. Rossouw (RSA), Albacete (ARG), Leo (SAM)
5. O'Connell (IRE), Pape (FRA), Cudmore (CAN)
6. Kaino (NZL), Brussouw (RSA), O'Brien (IRE)
7. Pocock (AUS), Warburton (WAL), Burger (NAM)
8. Parisse (ITA), Felatau (WAL), Gresev (RUS)
9. Yachvilli (FRA), Fotuali'i (SAM), Youngs (ENG)
10. O'Gara (IRE), Monro (CAN), Steyn (RSA)
11. Clerc (FRA), North (WAL), Ashton (ENG)
12. Nonu (NZL), Barnes (AUS), Roberts (WAL),
13. Fourie (RSA), Bill-Williams (NZL), VD Merwe (CAN), Lamont (SCO)
14. Kahui (NZL), Tuilagi (SAM), O'Connor (AUS)
15. Williams (SAM), Dagg (NZL), Amorosino (ARG)[/QUOTE]

based on pool stages my team would be
1. Roncero (ARG)
2. Du Plessis (SA)
3. Castrogiovani I(ITA)
4. Rossouw (SA)
5. Albacete (ARG)
6. O'Brien (IRE)
7. Warburton (WAL)
8. Gresev (RUS)
9. Foutuali'i (SAM)
10. Monro (CAN)
11. Kahui (NZ)
12. Nonu (NZ)
13. DTH Van Der Merve (CAN)
14. Earls (IRE)
15. Dagg (NZ)

16. Schwalger (SAM)
17. Healy (IRE)
18. Wyn Jones (WAL)
19. Felatau (WAL)
20. Parra (FRA)
21. SBW (NZ)
22. Williams (SAM)

I

International Badboy

Im glad noone is putting any english in the team, they have been disgraceful on and off the field, the fact that Johnny Wilkinson is still their first choice flyhalf is a joke and their forwards are a bunch of fuckwits

Status
Not open for further replies.