• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 Australia vs New Zealand - 18 August

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 between NZ and Australia?

• The Men in Gold - The Wallabies

Votes: 50 45.9%
  • The Darkness - The New Zealand Rugby Team

Votes: 59 54.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
SBW has been cleared to play in the first two Bledisloes.

The All Blacks will probably play Nonu at centre, which he hasn't played for a long time. That midfield won't lack for physicality, but both have a tendency to sometimes slip off tackles in their desire to hit hard.

Vito or Messam at 6 ? - probably Messam because he looks in very good form.
Romano or Retallick to partner Whitelock. I think we have a slight edge here.
Gear or Savea on the left wing to partner Corey Jane.

Other than that, I don't expect any major surprises.
This first game, with home advantage, makes the contest pretty even.
That said, if the ABs play to their potential, I think they will be a little too strong.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
When you look at world rugby currently, there are very few centres who are both excellent attackers and defenders. It really seems that most centres are being picked on the back of excellent defence and that is being seen as crucial in modern rugby, particularly as the offload becomes more and more prevalent.

Outside of NZ, there aren't a lot of centres who really provide great ballplaying ability as well as being excellent defenders.

Many of us agree that Australia needs a better 12 and to convert McCabe into a 13. Hopefully JOC (James O'Connor) plays at 12 for the Rebels next season but this year he has obviously been injured. McCabe being injured currently doesn't help the situation either.

It's a shame we're not seeing Cooper at 10 and Barnes at 12 for the upcoming tests.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
Sorry if this has been answered already but is there going to be a third Bledisloe Cup match this year?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Geez....it's gonna be good to see SBW and Nonu pair up. I wonder if they'll consider pushing SBW to 13 and keeping Nonu at 12.

Nonu has developed a great long-pass over the last few years and SBW off-load ability could be very dangerous with fantastic wings like Jane and Gear outside him.

The question mark would obviously be over SBW's defensive ability at 13....

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Perhaps he'll revert to mungoball defence.
Nek Minnit.....

images

Q

Quade Cheapshot

Sorry if this has been answered already but is there going to be a third Bledisloe Cup match this year?

20th of October, as Braveheart says, in Brisbane.

All going well the motivation for this match will be attaining a world first: a century of Test victories over an opposition.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I have a feeling that we will be pulverised this weekend. A centre pairing of Nonu (12) and SBW (13) is really unfair.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I have a feeling that we will be pulverised this weekend. A centre pairing of Nonu (12) and SBW (13) is really unfair.

I'll be surprised if SBW isn't at 12 and Nonu at 13. SBW has been one of the best in the comp, Nonu on the otherhand.

Status
Not open for further replies.