• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 South Africa vs Argentina - 18 August

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 between SAF and Arg?

• Los Pumas - Argentina

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • The Bokke - South Africa

Votes: 24 88.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
The Argies kickers have obviously obtained Morne Steyns' second hand dodgy radar. x3 missed penalties - & they needed every one of those.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
The 35yr Old Argie Prop Roncero is a very good scrummager, shame his mate on the other side brought that last one down.

Boks are in with Habana. It was only a matter of time. Come on Argies bring the score back down.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Figallo has been pretty meh, not surprised that he collapsed a scrum. Beast hasn't been to beast like. I was hoping for a long range drop goal from Fran Steyn.

For a player with such an ordinary season, I'm surprised Habana has been doing so well. Give them 3 more games and the pumas will be clawing a team to pieces. And then losing again.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Despite the scoreline I think for a first hit out the Argies have not disgraced themselves. They actually looked better in attack then we did earlier tonight IMO. Boks did very well after losing Bismarck, will be very interesting to see them play the ABs.

That's me for the night, or early morning.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Good show by the Pumas. Not a bad first up effort at all.
SA looked a little rusty, as did all 4 teams today.

Manuel

Herbert Moran (7)
Figallo is usually a loosehead for his club. Argentina don't really have a lot of depth at tighthead. Nahuel Tetaz is second or third choice at Stade Français, Maxi Bustos is second choice at Montpellier (though no shame in being behind Jgenti, tbf), and Orlandi alternates starts and benches for Racing Métro.

As for the match, I reckon Pumas can take a few positives, but it was mostly a "welcome to the major league". They'll be gutted not to have scored and quite pleased not to have conceded the fourth try.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Have to say I wasn't impressed with any of the 4 teams in TRC today. SA & NZ both just did what was necessary to beat what turned out to be poor opposition on the day. Looked like both had extra gears they could go through if necessary.

Argentina really suffered due to their poor kicking for the post. Game should have been closer than it was but they never really looked like scoring a try. Every time they made some progress a silly error let them down. They need a lot more time together to cut those out. Should be a much improved performance next week but SA have a lot of room for improvement too.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Bismarck gone until 2013 with his knee ligaments gone. Bismarck is a huge loss because he is basically our only fetcher. The current loose forwards are ball carriers (Coetzee, Alberts) or invisible (Daniel). Strauss is also a more a ball carrier. The Boks did nothing to effect turnovers once Bissie left the park, and the Pumas have 15 phases of possession at time. Granted they defended like crazy and the Pumas went nowhere, but that play won't work against a team with better backs and more inventive tactics.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
One thing that's almost inevitable playing against Argentina is injuries. They play so hard and put everything into it and the opposition always know they've been in a game, especially in the forwards. Good forwards like SA will get the better of them eventually in games but the dominance will be hard won. Will be a lot of bruised bodies tomorrow.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Bismarck gone until 2013 with his knee ligaments gone. Bismarck is a huge loss because he is basically our only fetcher. The current loose forwards are ball carriers (Coetzee, Alberts) or invisible (Daniel). Strauss is also a more a ball carrier. The Boks did nothing to effect turnovers once Bissie left the park, and the Pumas have 15 phases of possession at time. Granted they defended like crazy and the Pumas went nowhere, but that play won't work against a team with better backs and more inventive tactics.

Don't stress. That only leaves NZ you need to worry about.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Admirable from Argentina bust jeez they are going to struggle. Where is the improvement going to come from?

Bismarck is such a huge loss. If I had to pick one player I don't want to lose it would be him.

Daniel had a very anonymous game.

M Steyn as pedestrian and uninspiring as ever.

We have to improve out of sight to threaten the All Blacks or Wallabies on the road.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Agreed. Lots of issues for us.

We lose massive with Bismarck gone. Our gainline work really suffers. Strauss is very loose.
Back row balance is farked. I want to see your back row and hope the 30 Alberts played at 8 was convincing enough.
Jacques Potgieter is not a test standard rugby player. May he never start a test for the Boks. Farcical selection. Just crazy.
Andries Bekker is anynomous. He needs to catch a BIG wakeup.
Steyn kicked his goals which will be enough for Meyer.Meh.

Why in fucks name do we not play a wider game when there is space. The backline play is robotic. On at least three occasions there was oodles of space but the players seem to be under strict instructions to force a breakdown in midfield.

I don't like much of what I am seeing under HM so far.

At least Cilliers looks like he can scrum. Now he will probably be dropped for Greyling.

Status
Not open for further replies.