• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Game 2 New Zealand vs Australia - 25 August

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
If I had to tip my hat to Deans on one thing it would be this- we finally saw tonight what Timani is capable of. In the toughest test of all (ABs in NZ) he stepped up and made some big plays. Would be interested in seeing his stats.

If only every other one of Deans selections could do the same.

The two players who have really disappointed me the last two games have been Higgers and Dennis. Both looked so good at Super level, but just haven't stepped up. I expected better, and feel a bit let down. We've been bitchslapped in the backrow twice now, and these guys need to shoulder a lot of blame for that.

abrixon

Bob McCowan (2)
Not sure why people are getting up Horne. He did some good things out there. Got zero opportunity in attack but he played with passion and urgency and tackled well considering Barnes was drifting in to coopers channel leaving Horne (& ant when he came on) with virtually a consistent overlap to defend. Im not sure who where going to throw at 13 that's going to do better. Especially since Horne is our top wallaby try scorer for 2012.

I agree. People are asking for wholesale changes. If we do that the Boks and Pumas will run over us and then people will ask for wholesale changes again. To me it looked like Horne pulled up lame. When the ball was loose he put it on the toe and was very slow to chase. Either that or he was buggered from a frantic five minutes they had just played starting from his kick scramble.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
They had a game plan. At his post match interview, Cooper said it was to play in the AB's half, which explained all the kicking.

However they are not fit. My son commentedon just how clearly overweight a lot of the players seemed to be. A suspicion of an incipient pot belly on at least 2 backs. There were very few lean players. I thought some of the backs looked distinctly pudgy.

As I write this, I am watching the SA v Arg game .Argentina up ten nil with 21 minutes gone, playing at a frenetic pace. They could be ahandful as the tournament goes on.

Is kicking the ball back to the AB a game plan, FFS.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Is kicking the ball back to the AB a game plan, FFS.

Quade looked like he was trying to execute that game plan. Barnes didn't. Chip kicking from our 22 does not get us down the other end. These guys have all got to be on the same page. Maybe Robbie gives them each a secret envelope containing game plans they are not to discuss with eachother. Therefore no one can be blamed when it all fucks up.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I expected better, and feel a bit let down. We've been bitchslapped in the backrow twice now, and these guys need to shoulder a lot of blame for that.

Do people think that these blokes are dogging it - i.e. they're not trying?
I dont hold this view of even those I think should not be there or those I think should never have been there.
Blame implies a moral shortcoming - lack of effort - so I am not in favour of blaming them.
I fear that we do not have the guys to match the ABs - but I wonder who does.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Stop saying there was no game plan. It makes you look clueless. Of course there was a game plan! A stupid ineffectual, poorly executed game plan. But a game plan all the same. And I'm certain there was a plan 'b' too. Again stupid, ineffectual and poorly executed.

nb: talking in general here not to anyone in particular.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Quade looked like he was trying to execute that game plan. Barnes didn't. Chip kicking from our 22 does not get us down the other end. These guys have all got to be on the same page. Maybe Robbie gives them each a secret envelope containing game plans they are not to discuss with eachother. Therefore no one can be blamed when it all fucks up.

i reckon your spot on, this from rugby gold

The Wallabies had little in attack, with little direction from Quade Cooper and at least half-a-dozen chip-kicks frittering away possession and the chance to build pressure.

It should read,
The Wallabies had little in attack, with little direction from Berrick Barnes and at least half-a-dozen chip-kicks frittering away possession and the chance to build pressure.
Cooper never got much of the ball as Barnes was 1st receiver mostly and kicked it away, and with Cooper's chip kick, the very little he did at least he had Chases..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought our accuracy at the breakdown was really poor.

Too often the first player there is just falling into the New Zealand opponent at the ruck and not cleaning them out effectively. Once that happens the Wallaby is in the way of anyone else trying to clear out that player making it even harder. From that point we either give away the ball or a penalty.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
i reckon your spot on, this from rugby gold

The Wallabies had little in attack, with little direction from Quade Cooper and at least half-a-dozen chip-kicks frittering away possession and the chance to build pressure.

It should read,
The Wallabies had little in attack, with little direction from Berrick Barnes and at least half-a-dozen chip-kicks frittering away possession and the chance to build pressure.
Cooper never got much of the ball as Barnes was 1st receiver mostly and kicked it away, and with Cooper's chip kick, the very little he did at least he had Chases..

They both kicked poorly really. Barnes was awful but Cooper was responsible for plenty of bad long kicks. How many times did he kick to Dagg on the full? Plus there was the penalty where he didn't find touch on. He was far from blameless.

Clearly it was part of some stupid game plan to keep kicking the ball away. I don't get it at all. If we are going to kick for territory we need to play a few phases until an opportunity to find some space develops. Unless we're clearing our own line, any other territory gaining kick needs to find the turf.

kiwi_rugby_fan

Frank Nicholson (4)
ABs obviously don't throw forward passes, as I've seen a plethora tonight, and Owens and his two assistants have missed them!

Yep forward passes have been missed, but doesn't alter the dominance. BTW don't forget Sanchez is usually good for 2 a game, more often than not they're missed!! Those bloody refs are biased, give us a fair go...lol

D

daz

It would be suicidal & unsettling to sack Deans now so you've got to go back to drawing board, pick the best 22 players you have and play yourselves out of a form slump.

I wonder if 5 years of "going back to the drawing board" is enough?

At some point the fucking blueprint needs to be executed and a product made from the plans.

M

Mr Magoo

You just have to look at the stats and it tells the tale. We only had 39% of the pill. Why because we kept kicking it away and our set piece at times was below Int standard. I don't know maybe they wanted the defence practice! It was obvious that we didn't do enough at the tackle to secure our own ball, whereas the ABs exceeded 7 phases when we had zero. It doesn't make sense to have a game plan to kick down field when you know that the ABs are just going to run it back at you. If you don't have the ball how can you win the game or in this case be competitive? Is it that they don't have faith in themselves to hold onto the ball and attack?

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
You are a troll by the way. Normally don't feed em but made an exception.

Interesting response Epi, seeing as my comments are neither off-topic nor inflamatory!
You need to read up on NZ rugby history and the extent to which the All Blacks are imbedded in NZ life, culture and society. You may not think so, however, my question re SBW was genuine, as most AB players consider being a member of that squad to be an honour and a fullfilled lifetime ambition, not a stepping-stone to a better contract elsewhere. Maybe Brad Thorn could also be considered to be a 'journeyman' although to a lesser degree, and maybe there are others?

BTW you aren't "feeding me", you're just expressing an opinion (which you have every right to do), that I don't happen to agree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.