• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Game 2 New Zealand vs Australia - 25 August

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I just watched the game again as I was keen to see how many NZ points came from bad refereeing decisions..16.

The wallabies only let one try in, I am convinced that we have the players, just the wrong game plan and poor coaching..which are probably the same thing..go back over the ditch please Robbie.

kiwi_rugby_fan

Frank Nicholson (4)
I have not made a comment in a long time but Deans must go, wallabies are not motivated by a kiwi coach. Especially when he pick players out of form.
when we have a coach that has a game plan and picks players in form then we might have a chance. Bring on Ewen..

yep, he could move Sanchez to 1st five

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok KOB perhaps the ABs only really won 6-0 :rolleyes:, I am pleased to say I know most Wallaby supporters wouldn't embarass themselves with that kind of post, unless you just fishing of course?

kiwi_rugby_fan

Frank Nicholson (4)
I just watched the game again as I was keen to see how many NZ points came from bad refereeing decisions..16.

The wallabies only let one try in, I am convinced that we have the players, just the wrong game plan and poor coaching..which are probably the same thing..go back over the ditch please Robbie.

.....home of the Ostrich

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You just have to look at the stats and it tells the tale. We only had 39% of the pill. Why because we kept kicking it away and our set piece at times was below Int standard. I don't know maybe they wanted the defence practice! It was obvious that we didn't do enough at the tackle to secure our own ball, whereas the ABs exceeded 7 phases when we had zero. It doesn't make sense to have a game plan to kick down field when you know that the ABs are just going to run it back at you. If you don't have the ball how can you win the game or in this case be competitive? Is it that they don't have faith in themselves to hold onto the ball and attack?

Why kick it away?

Well, we couldn't breakdown their defence. Their line speed was excellent and their work at the breakdown required the Wobs to commit for players. When we kept the ball in hand we were turned over after running out of support players after a few phases of quick ball.

I thought the ABs played bloody smart, last week we starched up the mid field and they went around. This week we played more ball players and they ran lines through the mid field, took the momentum and looked for offloads.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)

We are also missing a real leader in the forwards. Kev is a presence that inspires who will step up while he and poey are injured.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I thought the ABs played bloody smart, last week we starched up the mid field and they went around. This week we played more ball players and they ran lines through the mid field, took the momentum and looked for offloads.

That stat Fox put up with a few minutes to go was telling: off loads 2-25.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Interesting response Epi, seeing as my comments are neither off-topic nor inflamatory!
You need to read up on NZ rugby history and the extent to which the All Blacks are imbedded in NZ life, culture and society. You may not think so, however, my question re SBW was genuine, as most AB players consider being a member of that squad to be an honour and a fullfilled lifetime ambition, not a stepping-stone to a better contract elsewhere. Maybe Brad Thorn could also be considered to be a 'journeyman' although to a lesser degree, and maybe there are others?

BTW you aren't "feeding me", you're just expressing an opinion (which you have every right to do), that I don't happen to agree with.

We don't need to 'read up on NZ rugby history'.....we grew up in it. If you think SBW has no loyalty, that's your opinion. Plenty of NZers have no issue at all with how SBW handles his own affairs......and I dare say the same thing about most of the guys he plays with as well.

M

Mr Magoo

Why kick it away?

Well, we couldn't breakdown their defence. Their line speed was excellent and their work at the breakdown required the Wobs to commit for players. When we kept the ball in hand we were turned over after running out of support players after a few phases of quick ball.

Agree, but what is the point of recruiting the big fat blokes if we don't get them to cart the ball a few times? Surely they have other attributes other than being able to devour a whole chicken in 15 seconds or anchor the boat race. Why is it that the smallest bloke in the pack made more metres?

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Do people think that these blokes are dogging it - i.e. they're not trying?
I dont hold this view of even those I think should not be there or those I think should never have been there.
Blame implies a moral shortcoming - lack of effort - so I am not in favour of blaming them.
I fear that we do not have the guys to match the ABs - but I wonder who does.

No way! They're just confused, as I am when Robbie gives interviews about possible tactics, (or any other subjet, for that matter)! I brings back memories of listening to Alan Jones post-training "chats" to our players when he coached our club in country NSW. His lengthy deliverances on topics such as "committment" were hard to absorb by players just wanting to get out of the cold and into the clubhouse for a few rums!

T

TOCC

I say bring in Cummins to 13, some physicality in the backline couldn't hurt.

Bring Shipperly to wing, he mightn't be as versatile as AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) but at least he knows his way to the try line.

Start Shatz for Dennis, he just didn't cut the mustard, too often he was caught just falling off tackles.. He was either mentally or physically overwhelmed.

Drop higginbotham... Move Timani to number 8 and promote someone like Fardy/Neville.

Drop Barnes, too many cooks spoil the broth.. Good player, just doesn't play well with Cooper.

W

What2040

IMO
1. Beale and Barnes continue to be poor
2. Genia was poor last night - yellow card deserved = 6 points and a change in the game
3. Tamani was terrific whilst Sharpie not so good - some stupid moments
4. Moore should always start over TPN
5. Robbo good for 10-15 minutes - has no motor at all
6. Scrums in 1st half under immense pressure - both by Alexander and Robinson - 2nd half scrums much better with Alexander and Slipper
7. Higgers now has a definite question mark over selection in test rugby
8. Cooper played OK and couldn't provide the necessay spark to ignite the rest.
9. Wallabies scrambled well otherwise would have been by 50
10. Whilst I hate the AB's - they are in a dominant place ATM in world rugby - maybe, we, as Australians want tio win so badly w cannot accept being 2nd best ATM

It wouldn't matter what game plan Deans has - some of our blokes just can't execute anyway. Mindless, mindless and stupid kicks

Agree with TOCC about Shipps and Schatz

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I agree with pretty much everything you've said there TOCC but would prefer Mowen in the side over Shatz or Dennis and give Higginbotham one more chance playing at 6. IMO Mowen was the form backrower for most of the season and is a solid lineout option so its beyond me why he wasn't able to make the squad.

Bill McLean (32)
LETTER TO BOB:

Mr Bob Dwyer
PO Box 650
Rose Bay NSW 2029

Dear Bob,

RE: Wallabies Coaching Position

Ever since you left Australian Rugby it has never been the same. Again we need your uncanny ability to select '2nd Grade Randwick Props' from relative obscurity and turn them into supermen (just be sure not teach the same people post career media skills because they suck badly)!

With the benefit of hindsight I now personally believe that Robby Deans' appointment to the top job was really a covert NZRFU plan to infiltrate the Wallabies to bring them down!

BUT BOB ALL I REALLY WANT TO SAY IS THAT "ALL IS FORGIVEN BOB, PLEASE COME HOME SOON."

Yours Sincerely,

El Prezzo
ARU

:D :D :D

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
All I see page after page of attacks of players, criticizing them for playing to the base level plans that Deans puts out there. Given the base structures that Deans puts in place how the hell can we expect players to perform to their best when they are struggling around as individuals in a group. They are not functioning as a team.

So many here called for massive changes after last week. Well you got them, in base plan and selections. How did the selections this week match up with the plan. As has been said in the interviews the plan was to play territory, so I ask how the F^&% were the selections made in keeping with that plan?

The critique of the players is not a true representation of their abilities when they are trying to perform in a system which does not support their skill set or form a team around them. It is why I ceased doing my "Player Ratings" threads after each game, as I came to realise that so many good players were being tainted and discarded by Deans and Co. because they couldn't perform without some semblance of structure.

The only exception to this rule is those players who have been selected out of form and unfit, but again they shouldn't be in that position in the first place so put the blame where it should lie.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Olden days:

AB's bigger/stronger, but WOB's smarter.

These days:

AB's bigger/stronger, and AB's smarter.

This is exactly what I've been trying to express. Thanks for putting it so succinctly.

I don't think anyone is saying we're better than the ABs, but in the past we have worked out methods to beat them.

Status
Not open for further replies.