• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Round 4 Game 2 Australia vs Argentina - 15 Sep

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Round 4 Game 2 between ARG and AUS?

• The Men In Gold – Australia

Votes: 34 69.4%
  • Los Pumas – Argentina

Votes: 16 32.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Nonu was the first choice AB 12 for a long time and on successful teams prior to him developing him these new passing skills you refer to. Is it good that he has improved in that area? Sure. Is there any evidence that we should select a ball-passer in place of someone that can get across the line? Hardly.

I'd actually put O'Connor at 13 since he has a decent in-and-away and he likes running around in some space.

Actually, his place was under pressure from the likes of SBW and Kahui constantly. That AB midfield chopped and changed for a while until Nonu made the position his own.

I like O'Connor in the centres, but for some reason not at 13. Call it a mental blank or something, but I don't like the sizing with him there. Defensive reads are super important out there though and I don't know that we've seen any evidence of him being able to do that yet.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
there is nothing retrospective about it: use the yardstick I offered you.
Carter would never go for the flashy play when the situation could be advanced by resort to the simple play.
Cooper is the opposite.
Who is the best in the world?
What should QC (Quade Cooper) do to make himself better? Play more like Carter: think more feel less.
Over and out.

I would prefer Cooper to play more like Larkham as that is closer to his skill set. Better decision making, more composure and better defense would be nice and hopefully that will come with time.

You build a team around the skill sets of the players you have, not about players you wish you had.

H

H...

Actually, his place was under pressure from the likes of SBW and Kahui constantly. That AB midfield chopped and changed for a while until Nonu made the position his own.

Stop it. Nonu has played 12 for New Zealand more than any other player ever FFS.

H

H...

I would prefer Cooper to play more like Larkham as that is closer to his skill set. Better decision making, more composure and better defense would be nice and hopefully that will come with time.

You build a team around the skill sets of the players you have, not about players you wish you had.

How long were you thinking?

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Managed to get 3 non-rugby south australians (tautology?) to watch the midnight viewing of the game with me. I had to spend a fair bit of the game explaining why Union is more exciting than League. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have mentioned the Vichy regime.

The most exciting moment in the game for them seemed to be when Digby set off running the ball back from our in-goal area. Shame he got pulled back.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
A FEW THOUGHTS ON THE GAME
Douglas looks like a decent workhouse of a forward and our second row stocks for next year are starting to look better. It was one area of concern at the start of the season when only Horwill and Simmons looked like viable options, the latter not setting the world on fire this year. But now with Horwill, Timani, Douglas and Simmons looking like potential long term options (with Pyle and Neville also waiting to show us what they’ve got) that area is no longer looking like a weakness. I think the Wallabies coaching team has final cottoned on to the idea of playing specials TH LH locks to improve the scrum. The Pairing Horwill/Timani next year looks like a powerful locking combination and should be good competition for whatever lock pair the Lions go with.

There is a major disconnect in the two sentences highlighted. Both Horwill and Timani are TH locks and Timani's lineout work is so bad that he never gets thrown to. Next year it will be Horwill or Timani (or Douglas) at TH lock with a jumper at LH lock. Someone has to be the lineout king at 5/6.

In terms of tight head locks we now have three in the stable (Horwill, Timani, Douglas) and one or two in development (Neville and Fardy) that will provide us with good injury cover so we will always have a good TH lock available for selection. Where we are weak is at LH lock. Sharpe is retiring; after he goes we will have Simmons, who has had a lot of chances but whose form is only patchy and Pyle, who is not a Deans favourite, so whose form at international level is unknown. That's why Deans had to beg Sharpe to stay on even though throughout his time as coach Sharpe has been the first lock not selected, regardless of form. In the next twelve months we may well end up selecting two TH locks, none of whom are accomplished jumpers, though Douglas is the best jumper of the three of them. That limits our selections at 6 and 8 because these players must then be able to jump to cover for our deficiencies at four and five. No Gill as sub unless its at 7! (I can hear the typewriter keys thumping in protest north of the border as I type).

The EOYT as a development project will be absolutely vital for a number of positions, loose head lock being one of them. We need to find another Sharpe quickly (or better still another Eales). Candidates (apart from those mentioned above) are Carter at the Brumbies, Wykes at the Force, and then we are into the unknowns.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't think there is anything wrong with Douglas at lh. And he is more than adequate at line out.

I think Harris should be brought in to 12 and everyone moved out one spot. I think having some like Harris would take pressure of cooper. 1. Has some he works with well on at least side of him 2. I know Phipps scored that try but other than that his vision isnt top notch. 3. If cooper has a person working with him to steer the ship (by keeping the ball in hand) than I think we will see some consistency develop.

As a whole it's wrong Harris isn't in the team even at fullback he would be more serviceable than Barnes judging on his run there in 2011

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I always thought its wrong.......he is mister consistent and was more than serviceable in the Wales test. Probably had better super form than his inside back compatriots as well

H

H...

Jeez is it Mike Harris day or something? Where has this sudden rush of pro-Harris sentiment come from?

Apparently now it is 'wrong' that he isn't in the team!

You're right. We wouldn't want to upset a winning formula

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
It was more of a put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to the wing and put McCabe to 13.....

Hey, I am just throwing ideas put there....what do we have to lose? But Imagine they will put Barnes to 12 and move it all out one if shipps can't play

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd be guessing that Beale will play on the wing.

Or Cummins will make his debut.

I'd be really surprised if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) moves back to the wing at this point.

W

What2040

I agree Lee. I saw him play for Joey's and he was unbelievable. I would be tempted to give him another go at 10 for the wallabies.

Didn't see him play at Joey's but at Aussie Schoolboys Carnival. No question the kid was extremely talented. Still think his rise rise and rise was assisted, only assisted by Ella. No different to many young blokes who are identified by a "great" and give that little bit of extra leg-up. Whether they take it or not is then up to them.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I think if the ARU want to go for a Gold Coast Test next year, they should schedule it as an afternoon match.

Like a 3pm kick off to be played prior to the AB's game rather than after it.

Would've been a nice sunny afternoon and that will avoid a clash with the Nrl finals so maybe they'll get free-to-air coverage.

Also a large percentage of the crowd on Saturday had gone down from Brisbane which is 80 minutes on the train to get back to Bris Central so making that trip at 5:30pm would be a lot better than 10pm.

We drove & parked at the park & ride near Mudgereeba which had a heap of shuttle buses, too easy! Probably wouldn't have made the trip for an arvo game personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.