• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Round 5 Game 2 Argentina vs New Zealand - 29 September

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Round 5 Game 2 between ARG and NZL?

• Los Pumas - Argentina

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Darkness - The New Zealand Rugby Team

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)
That was performance I was waiting for!
Great venue, great crowd.
Does Cory Jane have the best fend in the game? I think so.

Reactions: ACR
J

Jay

yep that was marginal call at best.

That call, for me, was another example of Marshall trying too hard to be neutral IMO. He was going on about it not being a ruck while missing that the Argie was off his feet when he played the ball. Likewise there was a later call when he was going on about a guy being on his feet when he played the ball, but missing that the ruck had formed before he played it.

J

Jay

"That's downward pressure" from the commentators.

That is rubbish. Read the rules. Downward pressure is a requirement for a try from another game.

The only requirement in Rugby is for the tryscorer to apply pressure to the ball.

Law 22.1 (b) Player presses down on the ball. A player grounds the ball when it is on the ground in the in-goal and the player presses down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck inclusive.

I'd say "downward pressure" pretty accurately sums that up.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
Im very nervous about this one. I would hate the All Blacks to be focusing on the other match ie the Boks in SA and forget to give this the attention it deserves. Argentina while not doing anything different than I imagine most people expected have been awesome in the tournament so far.

I can only assume that the Northern Hemisphere teams didnt want Argentina in the 6N's to avoid embarrassment.
Well I'm pleased that I was dead wrong on this one. The all blacks were superb. The coaching staff must have spent the last two weeks going through game tape to come up with plan of attack. Or maybe argentina have peaked a bit with four games against the big boys under their belts.

At any rate the two next matches look to be intriguing. Will the walking casualty ward be able to hold off the pumas at home. Will the fired up boks be able to sustain themselves against the all black machine if it's in this sort of form.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Okay, back to school for me. I need to read the Laws more often. I'll have to crawl back into my hole.

When I last looked at the Laws, and during my coaching courses, the Referee Instructors went to great lengths to explain that it was only pressure that was required to score a try, not downward pressure.

Next thing I will need to "learn" is that the AR is now required to indicate a kick has missed by waving their flag about like a madman like a mungoball touch judge does. I still see many AR's including qualified referees doing the mungoball waving away a missed kick.

J

Jay

Okay, back to school for me. I need to read the Laws more often. I'll have to crawl back into my hole.

When I last looked at the Laws, and during my coaching courses, the Referee Instructors went to great lengths to explain that it was only pressure that was required to score a try, not downward pressure.

Next thing I will need to "learn" is that the AR is now required to indicate a kick has missed by waving their flag about like a madman like a mungoball touch judge does. I still see many AR's including qualified referees doing the mungoball waving away a missed kick.

To be fair, they do go on about 'downward pressure' in the other tryscoring situation (eg, when a player is holding the ball) which isn't required at all. They also tend to go on about 'control' in that situation which isn't in the laws, but you can infer that some level of control is required to be holding the ball.

But in a situation like Savea's second try, downward pressure is appropriate to refer to.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That must be it. I just get annoyed at Kearns et al parroting the Mungo callers and pretending to be trendy and knowledgeable.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
It's a bit like when someone says "that's a double movement" and some bright spark, thinking they are cleve,r will point out that the phrase "double movement" doesn't occur in the laws. That is true, but the phrase does describe the distinction between immediately reaching out and placing the ball (22.4(e)) and not immediately releasing the ball 15.5(b). "Double movement" pretty accurately describes the distinction IMO, and should not cause the inevitable rolling of the eyes that you often see.

J

Jay

It's a bit like when someone says "that's a double movement" and some bright spark, thinking they are cleve,r will point out that the phrase "double movement" doesn't occur in the laws. That is true, but the phrase does describe the distinction between immediately reaching out and placing the ball (22.4(e)) and not immediately releasing the ball 15.5(b). "Double movement" pretty accurately describes the distinction IMO, and should not cause the inevitable rolling of the eyes that you often see.

I reckon that's another one that bothers people cause of the league connection - 'double movement' being a phrase that's actually used in the laws of league. People seem to have no such problems with jargon like 'truck and trailer', 'shepherding', 'lazy running' etc.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
loved the standing ovation from the crowd at the end of the game. That was total class.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From what you can see via the TV feed, the Argie crowd, game and culture are in very good shape. Knowlegable, passionate and respectful.

Never been there for a game. Anyone care to comment?

They seem to have their sh!t together in many respects so I am confused what were the "logistic problems" that prevented them from running their leg of the IRB sevens this year?

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
loved the standing ovation from the crowd at the end of the game. That was total class.

I daresay Kiwi and Aussie crowds could learn a thing or two from the Argie crowds.

This is not a wind-up, but the incessant and loud booing by Reds fans of every decision that went against their team in the Sharks loss was classless. - IMO (though I know some have said that was just passion)

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
That was a fantastic game of rugby, lop sided scoreline aside. It's the best Nonu has looked in months IMO, and the NZ back 3 were fantastic. Pumas will push Australia again next week, could well be their first win in the RC.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I daresay Kiwi and Aussie crowds could learn a thing or two from the Argie crowds.

This is not a wind-up, but the incessant and loud booing by Reds fans of every decision that went against their team in the Sharks loss was classless. - IMO (though I know some have said that was just passion)

That happens at many crowds of many teams and the Reds are no exception. Sorry but the most disgusting thing that I have seen form a rugby crowd is Eden Park in Bledisloe two. Yelling shit at Quade when you are meant to be paying a moments silence in honor of the dead and in this case fallen NZ troops.

tunah

Frank Row (1)
From what you can see via the TV feed, the Argie crowd, game and culture are in very good shape. Knowlegable, passionate and respectful.

Yeah, it was really good to see.

That said, I just watched the game again. When Cruden takes the last conversion, some joker has a green laser pointer aimed at his head.

(Hard to think of any group of 44000 people that wouldn't have a couple of idiots though)

Q

Quade Cheapshot

One of the Argies in the crowd pointed a laser into Aaron Cruden's eyes during the final kick at goal of the match.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
One of the Argies in the crowd pointed a laser into Aaron Cruden's eyes during the final kick at goal of the match.
One idiot out of that crowd is not bad QS, as Ruggo said (although he didn't say it only one) there some idiot at Eden Park to, I stand by comments that crowd could teach most of us about passion and watching sport, I not talking about booing kickers etc(which is up to individual), just I thought the support they gave their team was brilliant, and standing ovation at end was very sporting, and I thought knowledgeable.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I really couldn't see an Australian crowd standing as one and applauding a game where we have been belted like the Pumas were.

Delving into the dark recesses of a tired mind, I was at the Match of the Century at Homebush, July 2000. Having just watched an awesome display of Rugby skills from both teams, with Jonah sealing the deal for the Darkness in the dying seconds of the game, the vast majority of the crowd seemed to be more interested in the stampede to the Railway station to get the flock out of there.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
If someone wants to be offended by something, there is always opportunity at every crowd I am sure.

A few months ago there were a few people openly questioning whether Dan Carter was being overtaken by Aaron Cruden. I think the last few tests have put all of that to bed. I thought Dan Carter was magnificent, and his calming presence should never be underestimated.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Having just watched an awesome display of Rugby skills from both teams, with Jonah sealing the deal for the Darkness in the dying seconds of the game, the vast majority of the crowd seemed to be more interested in the stampede to the Railway station to get the flock out of there.

Obviously that's poor form, and the argie fans are much to be admired, but...

Rule 1 of attending a Bledisloe at Homebush: If you lose, make sure you beat the winning team's supporters to the train station. I've been in a few carriages packed with gold after a wallabies win, and it is brutal. All good natured enough, but definitely worth skipping an ovation to avoid. And I imagine the travelling kiwi fans can be just as cheeky.

Status
Not open for further replies.