• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 S15 SA Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers:15 Joe Pietersen, 14 Gio Aplon, 13 Juan de Jongh, 12 Jean de Villiers (captain), 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Gary van Aswegen, 9 Dewaldt Duvenage, 8 Nick Koster, 7 Duane Vermeulen, 6 Siya Kolisi, 5 Andries Bekker, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Brok Harris, 2 Tiaan Liebenberg, 1 Steven Kitshoff

Substitutes: 16 Scarra Ntubeni, 17 Frans Malherbe, 18 De Kock Steenkamp, 19 Nizaam Carr, 20 Louis Schrueder, 21 Peter Grant, 22 Gerhard van den Heever

The Sharks
1.Dale Chadwick
2.Bismarck du Plessis
3.Wiehahn Herbst
4.Steven Sykes
5.Ross Skeate
6.Jacques Botes
7.Marcell Coetzee
8.Keegan Daniel (Captain)
9.Frederic Michalak
10.Patrick Lambie
11.Lwazi Mvovo
12.Meyer Bosman
13.JP Pietersen
14.Louis Ludik
15.Riaan Viljoen
Replacements
16.Craig Burden
17.Jannie du Plessis
18.Anton Bresler
19.Lubabalo Mtembu
20.Charl McLeod
21.Marius Joubert
22.Paul Jordaan

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
They're some pretty green looking props lining up for the Sharks.

Is Jannie du Plessis on the bench because he's carrying some niggling injury or has he lost his place on merit?

Also hoping to see some more of young Jordaan. Hopefully at 13.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
They're some pretty green looking props lining up for the Sharks.

Is Jannie du Plessis on the bench because he's carrying some niggling injury or has he lost his place on merit?

Also hoping to see some more of young Jordaan. Hopefully at 13.
Sharks site
Upfront, we want to give Wiehahn Herbst an opportunity, he's had a really good pre-season and it's a good time for him," explains Plumtree. "It's the same with Ross Skeate who comes in to the second row. We've had to make a change amongst the loose-forwards obviously with Ryan Kankowski out and with Jacques Botes playing really well against the Bulls last week, he gets a chance.
"It's disappointing for us that Willem Alberts hasn't made it this week, but Tera (Lubabalo) Mtembu has done pretty well in the pre-season, so it's an opportunity for him as well."

Amongst the backline, there is just one enforced change at centre. "Fred Michalak gets another chance this weekend and hopefully it will go better for Pat Lambie. Unfortunately, Tim Whitehead is out with a groin injury so Meyer Bosman comes in with Marius Joubert named on the bench."

With just one week's Vodacom Super Rugby action behind us, there is still time to provide a test of the team's depth, The Sharks coach explains. "It's still early days, just the second round and a good opportunity for the other guys."

As with all South African derby games, another physical onslaught can be expected when the teams run at each other.

"You have to bring physicality into the game, that's a big part of it," he adds. "But also being smart, making sure that we play in the right areas and in front of the gain line. Basic principles of rugby apply when you play against the big teams."

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
An example of the limitations of the role of TMO in the Cheetahs v Bulls game. TMO clearly saw a double movement in the scoring of the try but because of the instructions of the Ref he can't tell him so try awarded.

Charlemagne

Frank Nicholson (4)
I have watched all the matches so far this weekend and is it just me or do the SA teams and the Nz teams for that matter look a hell of a lot sharper than our lads?

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Bonus point try for the Bulls with the last play of the first half. Hopefully the Cheetahs make more of a game of it in the 2nd half.

Would agree Charlemange the top NZ and SA teams have looked sharper compared to some patchy & sloppy play from the Aus teams. Winning sloppy could stand the Aus teams in good stead for later in the season when things aren't going for them and they half to pull a win out by any means necessary.

S

spooony

I want that Bulls team tested for steroids.

Greyling what a talent he is

That Bulls pack was giving the Cheetah pack a hiding. But its the highveldt thinner air so will they keep up the onslaught for another 40 minutes. Normally they start out on fire with a big tempo get a big lead then sit back and play conservative 10 man rugby till the finish.

An example of the limitations of the role of TMO in the Cheetahs v Bulls game. TMO clearly saw a double movement in the scoring of the try but because of the instructions of the Ref he can't tell him so try awarded.
I will get back to you with that. I am going to ask the duty ref at Sareferee.co.za about it and see what explanation there is around it.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Strange red card there, not from the point of view of the offense which was open to a red card as it was a tip tackle. What surprised me was that the touch judge said he brought him safely to the ground but when Joubert asked him if there was any reason not to give a red the touch judge said nothing. Surely if the touch judge believed he was brought safely to the deck that's a reason not to give a red.

Personally I think it was a red as the tackler made no attempt to return him safely to the ground and it was actually the other Cheetah player that made the impact less severe. Again the commentators mention "no malicious intent" when the lay that governs these tackles clearly states that the intent should not be taken into account when making a decision.

Cheetahs finally got a try at 15 v 14. Last 15 mins will be a little more exciting now.

S

spooony

Now last week it was a white and a yellow. This week it is a red. Consistency and interpretation sucks with the refs

Pierre Spies hahaha what a tackle

S

spooony

Jacques Potgieter is sent to the sin bin down to 13 and watch them still not scoring

Prince Charming is actually playing rugby today and not selling shampoo commercials

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Agree with John Smit in the post match analysis he said it was a good call by Joubert and in terms of tackling hit the guy as hard as you like as long as you're not lift him off the ground.

S

spooony

Yes but sometimes shoulder meet ribs and the guys goes up not down. See the Irish way of defending is not tackling the guy to the ground but holding him up where the Welsh tackle them to ground then try and win the ball. Bulls also used the holding the player up method to try and get turn over ball.

Now that is the end of one dull game. Like watching 2 boxers that is paid to lose

Stormers 15 - Sharks 12
Peterson missed a couple

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Solid performance by the Bulls. Most encouraged by the defense that looks very well organised although hit must be said that the Cheetahs weren't asking too many questions.

Nice to build up the points difference. I have no doubt is will be important in the final conference analysis. Jacques Potgieter my MOM. Immense physicality. Dewald Potgieter has little chance of making it back into the starting lineup. Classic case of an injury gibing a new guy a chance that he grabs 100%. Needs a haircut though.

People want to rush Goosen into the Boks because he can kick the ball 60m. I see little else in his game that convinces me. Give the guy a couple of years but right now he's not that flash. Bok 10 will come from Morne, Lambie or Jantjes who all have a better all round game than Goosen.

The less that's said about the Stormers v Sharks game the better. Both teams looked scared to play rugby. The Stormers backs looked like they were under instruction to do nothing as to not make mistakes. Wtf?

I don't get it. Why do the Stormers not just bloody try and play? They have the players? Their game plan seems stupid.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Bulls the form team in SA but they sure had Jouberts help on saturday. I havent seen him this bad before and had two sets of rules for the teams. Brutes got away with murder at the breakdowns while he penalised the Cheetahs no ends. Anyway the Brutes was just to good all over the park on the day.

Agree on the Goosen 10 bit Blue but he sure is talented. Fought a lonely battle against the Brutes and sure can kick the leather off the ball and playing attacking rugby.

Stormers vs Sharks was a tight battle. Good to see our young guns standing up against the might Sharks tight five and rewarding with a tight head to clinch it at the end. Etsebet, Ginga, Malherbe, Kolisi performed yet again and Marcell Coetzee for the Sharks. I am just hoping that Coetzee will rate the importance of a fetcher, I knew we would struggle against Botes and Bismarckt. Important 4 points.

Lions disappointed. Really thought they can down the Hurricanes and they let it slip. Would have thought that Mitchell know you cant run it from everywhere against the Canes. One mistake and you pay the price.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Bulls the form team in SA but they sure had Jouberts help on saturday. I havent seen him this bad before and had two sets of rules for the teams. Brutes got away with murder at the breakdowns while he penalised the Cheetahs no ends. Anyway the Brutes was just to good all over the park on the day.

Agree on the Goosen 10 bit Blue but he sure is talented. Fought a lonely battle against the Brutes and sure can kick the leather off the ball and playing attacking rugby.

Stormers vs Sharks was a tight battle. Good to see our young guns standing up against the might Sharks tight five and rewarding with a tight head to clinch it at the end. Etsebet, Ginga, Malherbe, Kolisi performed yet again and Marcell Coetzee for the Sharks. I am just hoping that Coetzee will rate the importance of a fetcher, I knew we would struggle against Botes and Bismarckt. Important 4 points.

Lions disappointed. Really thought they can down the Hurricanes and they let it slip. Would have thought that Mitchell know you cant run it from everywhere against the Canes. One mistake and you pay the price.

Goosen is talented. Let's see him consistently play to that potential before we get too excited.

"Good to see our young guns standing up against the might Sharks tight five"

The might? Two rookie props that are lucky to play super rugby and two journeymen locks? I agree those young Stormers sure are exciting but they have not really been tested.

The Stormers look to have the same problem as last year. Just can't convert pressure into points. It's a big worry.

This was the weakest Sharks pack in years, at home for the Stormers and your guys were lucky to win. There is a lot of work to be done.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Goosen is talented. Let's see him consistently play to that potential before we get too excited.

"Good to see our young guns standing up against the might Sharks tight five"

The might? Two rookie props that are lucky to play super rugby and two journeymen locks? I agree those young Stormers sure are exciting but they have not really been tested.

The Stormers look to have the same problem as last year. Just can't convert pressure into points. It's a big worry.

This was the weakest Sharks pack in years, at home for the Stormers and your guys were lucky to win. There is a lot of work to be done.
Well the Stormers started with Harris and replaced him with Frans Malherbe round about the same time Dr Jannie Doep joined Bismarckt. From then on the Stormers scrum was impressive. I'd love to see the Stormers young guns against the Brutes at this very moment. Have to wait till 31 March, not to far away.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Oh I htin kthe Stormers will be favorite for that game but I still think you guys have serious backline issues. The attack is just clueless. One feels like the only way tries will come will be from some individual brilliance in broken play. You need more than that to win this comp and your backline needs to find something.

It looks exactly like it did last year. Hopefully Bash can spark something. I hope he is not broken like last year.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Oh I htin kthe Stormers will be favorite for that game but I still think you guys have serious backline issues. The attack is just clueless. One feels like the only way tries will come will be from some individual brilliance in broken play. You need more than that to win this comp and your backline needs to find something.

It looks exactly like it did last year. Hopefully Bash can spark something. I hope he is not broken like last year.
The local derbies you cant afford too slip your home games. You just win them no matter what because for the Sharks it was double points on offer. I agree we play it tight and my biggest concern is the Stormers coping without a fetcher. Bismarckt and Botes were huge at the breakdowns and we cstruggle to put phases together. We were much better against the Canes who have a good defensive backline. It all starts with the tight five and forwards and hjopefull we got this right. Pretty sure our backline will fire as the competition go on, there is way to much class there.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
South African Conference

Pos Team P W D L PF PA PD TF TA BPts Pts
1 Vodacom Bulls 2 2 0 0 69 32 37 6 2 1 9
2 DHL Stormers 2 2 0 0 54 38 16 3 2 0 8
3 MTN Lions 2 1 0 1 55 55 0 3 4 1 5
4 Sharks 2 0 0 2 25 33 -8 1 0 2 2
5 Toyota Cheetahs 2 0 0 2 44 78 -34 2 6 1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.