• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 IRB Junior World Championship - France

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You do not need much more money as they travel around with the senior squads playing on the same day as the curtain raiser. So they travel on same plane and use same hotels etc etc as senior team.

Still all those business flights and extra hotel rooms add up.

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
Anyone have an idea what the individual record is for tries in a tournament? Senatla is currently on 6 and will probably play at least two of South Africa's three remaining games.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Still all those business flights and extra hotel rooms add up.

Locally, they'd only fly economy. One to two hours in economy is fine.

The hotel rooms would be a killer though. They could do deals with local clubs and get boarding with volunteers.

It's all manageable if the will or desire was there, I'd say.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In the ITM cup last year the cash strapped Otago team stayed at High School Boarding Hostels in Palmerston North and Napier to save money. - Luckily it was school holidays.

No reason why similar frugal thinking practices wouldn't work here.

Still plenty of camping grounds and caravan parks around for use during School times.

Sleep under the grandstand on camp stretchers.

T

TOCC

I'm sure RUPA may have some grievances with camp stretchers, that said there is still room to have the team play against some of the better colts teams to at least get a respectable level of competition. As BR mentioned, PNG doesn't quite fit the bill.

A 2 game tournament against NZ would even further the development, or even a mini Rugby Championship each year, have a round robin comp run concurrently to the rugby championship, to save on travel costs have the tournament staged in one country and rotated annually, a GF of 1v2 and 3v4..that's 4 weeks of rugby potentially compressed into 2 or 3 weeks if they opt for midweek matches.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

The hotel rooms would be a killer though. They could do deals with local clubs and get boarding with volunteers.

Has to be business class, unreasonable to expect players to recover properly in economy even for a few hours. Imagine the locks. Flights are where teams do most of their analysis as well.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Has to be business class, unreasonable to expect players to recover properly in economy even for a few hours. Imagine the locks. Flights are where teams do most of their analysis as well.

I think you will find that even the pro teams fly economy when they fly within Mel/Syd/Bne. For instance, I have been on a flight with the Crusaders team flying economy between Sydney and Brisbane. On most of those flights there is not even enough business class seats to even sit the team.

Tight loose

Bob McCowan (2)
On a separate not Australia seemed so concerned with size ( Thompson said so) that quite a few talented players that went on the camps, and are currently playing perm rugby, got told they didn't make it purely on size. I think the Ireland game showed that whilst size is important, it isn't everything, and they more than matched the Baby Blacks up front yet still lost? Maybe a rethink next year on strategy, then select based on a better game plan?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
On a separate not Australia seemed so concerned with size ( Thompson said so) that quite a few talented players that went on the camps, and are currently playing perm rugby, got told they didn't make it purely on size. I think the Ireland game showed that whilst size is important, it isn't everything, and they more than matched the Baby Blacks up front yet still lost? Maybe a rethink next year on strategy, then select based on a better game plan?
In what positions was that said to be the sole factor?
Also a selector/coach attributing non-selection to size does not strike me as quite the same as picking a worse player for his size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
The Aussie boys didn't look very big to me. They were quick and mobile however, they looked underdone against Ireland but much better New Zealand. They are under done coming into the tournament with no prior proper matches unlike the Six Nations countries.

R

rus

For France play two props who can play for Russia NT in future. Parents of Oleg Ischenko and Khathik Vartanov born in USSR.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)

Ain't Quantas one of the Wallabies sponsors? So the flights are free?

For France play two props who can play for Russia NT in future. Parents of Oleg Ischenko and Khathik Vartanov born in USSR.
Ain't the u/20's France's 2nd team?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Ain't Quantas one of the Wallabies sponsors? So the flights are free?

Ain't the u/20's France's 2nd team?

While Qantas sponsor the Wallabies I'm sure they don't allow them free flights everywhere. All contra benefits would be built into the overall cost of the sponsorship. If they want extra fights the ARU would have to pay at some point.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
While Qantas sponsor the Wallabies I'm sure they don't allow them free flights everywhere. All contra benefits would be built into the overall cost of the sponsorship. If they want extra fights the ARU would have to pay at some point.
Still the extra game will mean more broadcast rights to sell with a increased revenue.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think a U20's RC would be a great idea. They could even chase new sponsors for the U20's team to cover costs. Would be great if it was on TV too. Something to compete with the Toyota Cup (Whatever the NRL U20's is called now)

Status
Not open for further replies.