• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 IRB Junior World Championship - France

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Im biased as the bloke is from wa but i have been very impressed with Luke Burton when he has got on. Great defence good foot work and hands. Only wish he was a 13 maybe he can but some bulk on that would be great for the Force. Also knows where the line is with 2 trys already.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Honest John

Stan Wickham (3)
its interesting to read this thread re players missing out and those that are there being "golden boys" of the failed ARU academies. One thing i cannot figure out is that if there are lads out in rugby land that deserved to be in this team, why are they still playing colts? I would hope that if they are the best player in Australia in their position they would be either playing grade rugby or attached to a S15 franchise already.

This team is a vast improvement on last year, due to coaching, management and the selection process where 80 lads were screened with personal feedback given on their selection or non selection, which I don't think has ever happened.

There is a great deal of improvement needed in the team preparation as well as the selection process nationally but to suggest that a lad playing Sydney Colts I or II should be selected, seems a little hopeful to me. Maybe I am naive but at 20 years old I ask, why are they not playing grade? If they are, then why were they not looked at?

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
David Horwitz is u20 is he not? He's playing 1st grade for Randwick and doing quite well. Also played Sydney Academy and trained with the Waratahs. Why was he not selected?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Think Horwitz was injured for a lot of the early stuff.

Club footy debut was in the ANZAC day encounter at Coogee Oval vs Easts.

This was after he may have missed two of the three Selection camps, and a week after the team was finalised.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Why a player is playing colts and not grade may depend on the club he is playing with. If the club has a very good and established first and second grade side then a very good 20 year old may be left in Colts. He may be given opportunities during the year in grade and he may not. The club may also be looking at building a team in future years by keeping a certain group together. There may be a number of reasons.

Horwitz started playing Colts this year, I think, and has now been given his opportunity and taken it with big time. Early in the year it may have been a decision that an older more experienced player, though not quite as good, was a better fit for the grade team. A further example of this is Jim Stewart at Uni who has played Colts all year and was given a chance in 1st grade because of the number of players unavailable. When these players become available later in the year Jim may again be returned to Colts. Both of these players I believe are the unlucky ones to have missed selection for the team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Particularly for players playing in Sydney or Brisbane, I think it is naive to think that the various selectors and coaches of the Academy sides and U20 sides aren't checking out a lot of the potential players at various points each season.

As someone said earlier, if a player is a star in whatever team they're playing in, word travels quickly and that player attracts attention.

Just because someone might not have been invited to a training camp doesn't mean they've been entirely ignored. If they're playing 1st or 2nd grade or 1st grade colts then I think you could just about guarantee that some of their games have been viewed either live or on tape by people who can select them for higher honours.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
So we've nominated two backs, Jim Stewart (Sydney Uni) and David Horwitz (Randwick) who should've been there. The forward pack looked pretty good, the backs could've been better so perhaps we're onto something here. Another one is Paul Asquith, he's played 1st grade for Southern Districts this year and 7s.

diwi10

Stan Wickham (3)
its interesting to read this thread re players missing out and those that are there being "golden boys" of the failed ARU academies. One thing i cannot figure out is that if there are lads out in rugby land that deserved to be in this team, why are they still playing colts? I would hope that if they are the best player in Australia in their position they would be either playing grade rugby or attached to a S15 franchise already.

This team is a vast improvement on last year, due to coaching, management and the selection process where 80 lads were screened with personal feedback given on their selection or non selection, which I don't think has ever happened.

There is a great deal of improvement needed in the team preparation as well as the selection process nationally but to suggest that a lad playing Sydney Colts I or II should be selected, seems a little hopeful to me. Maybe I am naive but at 20 years old I ask, why are they not playing grade? If they are, then why were they not looked at?

FEEDBACK
Yes one player got great Feedback.
He is in the Sydney academy played in all 3 games vs Samoa, Tonga & Japan
in his preferred position and gets good Feedback on his play. He then gets asked to try out in a new position to give him more versatility he thinks they are the Coaches I will take there advice.
He makes all 3 camps but not the final team he is disappointed.
He has his "5min Feedback chat" with the so called Coaches they tell him
he lacked experience in that position. That maybe they should have played
him in the new position for the academy games. He thinks right aren't you the Coach of the academy & 20s team and didn't you recommend I play in the new position? LoL

He is now playing 1st grade in his preferred position at his club and they are in the top 5.

So maybe it's not the good players that were left behind but the inept Coaches the boys are with in France!

Honest John

Stan Wickham (3)
FEEDBACK
Yes one player got great Feedback.
He is in the Sydney academy played in all 3 games vs Samoa, Tonga & Japan
in his preferred position and gets good Feedback on his play. He then gets asked to try out in a new position to give him more versatility he thinks they are the Coaches I will take there advice.
He makes all 3 camps but not the final team he is disappointed.
He has his "5min Feedback chat" with the so called Coaches they tell him
he lacked experience in that position. That maybe they should have played
him in the new position for the academy games. He thinks right aren't you the Coach of the academy & 20s team and didn't you recommend I play in the new position? LoL

He is now playing 1st grade in his preferred position at his club and they are in the top 5.

So maybe it's not the good players that were left behind but the inept Coaches the boys are with in France!

Interesting comments - I have put this in perspective Vs last year where apparently there was no feedback during the trials and mind blowingly, after any of the games. Just a team list stuck up and that's that.

You cant get everyone to agree on the selection process and to some degree it is up to the coaches and what they are looking for. I know many lads who tried out and we rejected even a 5 minute chat is better than a silent rejection.

Country Kid

Chris McKivat (8)
Just dreaming.....

That the rugby powers could provide ONGOING high-level coaching for 17 - 20 year old club players (or schools) outside the main rugby areas.

You know, places like western Sydney, southern Sydney, country NSW/QLD, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia, Western Australia and Northern Territory.

Get ex players involved, get every rugby brain involved. Give young players the chance to mix and mingle and with current and past players and coaches to lift their rugby standards so there is upward pressure on the elite players to hold their 'advantage'

an observer

Herbert Moran (7)
David Horwitz is u20 is he not? He's playing 1st grade for Randwick and doing quite well. Also played Sydney Academy and trained with the Waratahs. Why was he not selected?
Maybe because the backs selected are better than he is? Isnt that what selection camps and trials are for?

sootyanddave

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don't think it's an issue whether Horwitz was selected or not.
He has been in Schoolboy rep teams and ARU squads for a few years, He was on their radar,and would definitely have been considered.
It's the fact that nearly all of those considered, required a similiar Schoolboy scrapbook,is why most posters have been critics.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think it's an issue whether Horwitz was selected or not.
He has been in Schoolboy rep teams and ARU squads for a few years, He was on their radar,and would definitely have been considered.
It's the fact that nearly all of those considered, required a similiar Schoolboy scrapbook,is why most posters have been critics.

The question has to be asked again.

Who exactly are all these young rugby players who go from being no-ones at age 17 to being world beaters at age 19?

It seems that people think that every player under the age of 20 deserves to be able to turn up and play in a selection trial to try and make the U20 RWC team.

I think every game is essentially a selection trial and continued good performances will get people noticed.

There are enough scouts and coaches out there trying to find players for Academy sides, the U20 side and the Super Rugby franchises that players who are excelling will get noticed.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well said Braveheart81. Sometimes life is "unfair". Some kids are just average, and there is nothing wrong with that.

A boy who was in the 13 F's in Year 7 at an "elite Rugby school" will not get the "development opportunities" of playing against A/B/C level players in the early high school years.

If they start tearing it up in year 10 (after a growth spurt) then they will get noticed, and promoted to C's or A's and may even be invited to try out for the 1st XV in Year 11.

If they remain a F/E/D level player in Year 8, 9 and 10, then should they expect to be invited to try out for 1st XV when they hit Schoolboys opens grade footy?

Shouldn't those boys who have "been noticed", gone to rugby camps in the holidays, selected into the Junior Gold Squads, played Club rep footy etc, and played in A's and B's through the age groups, get some preferential treatment when it comes to the trials for 1st XV.

Q

Quade

Jake Mcintyre is a sensational footballer and really hope he sees more game time on the tour. Even though he is still young, he has experienced two years in Australian school boys and many years in the Country rugby side.

Honest John

Stan Wickham (3)
Aus Team named for Argentina Today

NoName
1Silatolu Latu
2Maile Ngauamo
3Oli Hoskins
4Senio Toleafoa
5Thomas Staniforth
6Michael Wells
7Jack Dempsey
8Curtis Browning (C)
9Ben Meehan
10Jake McIntyre
11Alex Northam
12Luke Burton
13Lalakai Foketi
14Harry Parker
15Jonah Placid
16Andrew Ready
17Pettowa Paraka
18Allan Ala'alatoa
19Patrick Sio
20Mark Baldwin
21Waldo Wessels
22Reece Hodge
23UJ Seuteni

Q

Quade

Aus Team named for Argentina Today

NoName
1Silatolu Latu
2Maile Ngauamo
3Oli Hoskins
4Senio Toleafoa
5Thomas Staniforth
6Michael Wells
7Jack Dempsey
8Curtis Browning (C)
9Ben Meehan
10Jake McIntyre
11Alex Northam
12Luke Burton
13Lalakai Foketi
14Harry Parker
15Jonah Placid
16Andrew Ready
17Pettowa Paraka
18Allan Ala'alatoa
19Patrick Sio
20Mark Baldwin
21Waldo Wessels
22Reece Hodge
23UJ Seuteni
2 view boys in starting team :D also happy to see alstonville's Jake Mcintyre in the lineup

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I would have liked to see Waldo start, but it seems to be a reasonably balanced squad. Possible question marks over #23.

Status
Not open for further replies.