• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 S15 South Africa Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I dont have the Lions list, only the S15 wider squads. Siddie there is a differense between International and National players, no way you can expect the Lions not to have their players back, most of them are gone on a loan basis to the other S15 franchise and still under their contract.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lions players in the S15 wider sqauds
Name Surname Team School Sch Union
Louis Fouché Bulls Rustenburg Leopards
Rudy Paige Bulls Bastion Lions
Willie Wepener Bulls Helpmekaar Lions
Paul Willemse Bulls Monnas Lions
Ulrich Beyers Bulls Ermelo Pumas
Sarel Pretorius Cheetahs Reitz Griffons
Dusty Noble Cheetahs Gen Hertzog Pumas
Edgar Marutlulle Kings Potch HS Leopards
Jaco Engels Kings Potch Volkskool Leopards
Hannes Franklin Kings Bekker Lions
Demetri Catrakilis Kings St Johns Lions
Wiehahn Herbst Sharks Klerksdorp Leopards
Riaan Viljoen Sharks Klerksdorp Leopards
Jacques Botes Sharks Potch Gim Leopards
Wandile Mjekevu Sharks KES Lions
Willem Alberts Sharks Monnas Lions
Julian Redelinghuys Sharks Monnas Lions
Brok Harris Stormers Bastion Lions
Elton Jantjies Stormers Florida Lions
Bryan Habana Stormers KES Lions
Siyabonga Ntubeni Stormers KES Lions
Jaco Taute Stormers Monnas Lions
Duane Vermeulen Stormers Nelspruit Pumas
Gary van Aswegen Stormers Standerton Pumas

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
Seems little unfair to count the Puma, leopard and Griffon players as part of the lions feeder area. In my experience the Griffon's are essentially freestater, any thing west of Potch is Griquas and the Pumas all support the Bulls.

I also doubt the accuracy of your source. I have a friend that went to school with Werner Kruger and Louis Ludick in Kempton Park and they are not on your list. Also isn't Gary van Aswegen (shit and) a gimmie?

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
I dont have the Lions list, only the S15 wider squads. Siddie there is a differense between International and National players, no way you can expect the Lions not to have their players back, most of them are gone on a loan basis to the other S15 franchise and still under their contract.

The Lions' contractual relationship with the players I mentioned should be irrelevant (or at least as irrelevant as the Kings' contracts with their foreign signings). The rules applicable to South African super rugby sides state that they are only allowed to select 2 foreign players AND that they must comply with the rules of the competition, inter alia that a player cannot represent more than one super rugby in a single season.

The Lions and SARU shouldn't be allowed to pick and choose which rules suit their agenda any particular week.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Seems little unfair to count the Puma, leopard and Griffon players as part of the lions feeder area. In my experience the Griffon's are essentially freestater, any thing west of Potch is Griquas and the Pumas all support the Bulls.

I also doubt the accuracy of your source. I have a friend that went to school with Werner Kruger and Louis Ludick in Kempton Park and they are not on your list. Also isn't Gary van Aswegen (shit and) a gimmie?
Sorry Griffons is Cheetahs like Griquas, Pumas and Lui Perde is part of the Lions franchise, Valke Limpopo Brutes. Nope Gary aint a Gimmie.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Lions' contractual relationship with the players I mentioned should be irrelevant (or at least as irrelevant as the Kings' contracts with their foreign signings). The rules applicable to South African super rugby sides state that they are only allowed to select 2 foreign players AND that they must comply with the rules of the competition, inter alia that a player cannot represent more than one super rugby in a single season.

The Lions and SARU shouldn't be allowed to pick and choose which rules suit their agenda any particular week.
The promotion/relegation match have nothing to do with S15 or Sanzar, its an internal Saru match.

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
The promotion/relegation match have nothing to do with S15 or Sanzar, its an internal Saru match.

So the rules that apply to the super rugby has nothing to do with who is allowed to compete in it?

I have to come clean here, I am not particularly pro kings, but I am against the Lions competing in Super Rugby after a decade and a half of being absolutely dreadful and Port Elizabeth is the only remaining metropolitan area in South Africa with the means to run a professional rugby team.

Many of the arguments being promoted in favour of the Kings would actually favour the Lions more. If we are looking for the best black rugby potential in South Africa, we would be much better served looking at St Johns, KES and St Stitians than rural eastern cape. Earlier on this same thread you and I discussed that there are 30-odd schools that produce 90-odd percent of professional rugby players, the thing all these schools have in common is that they are relatively affluent. If you are looking for affluent schools with a large black demographic there is no better place to go looking than the greater Jo'burg area.

The problem we are facing is that club rugby is essentially dead in Jo'burg, with the exception of Monument their schools aren't producing players, Ellis Park is empty and the few people who do show up are plumbers from Benoni and not the stockbrokers from Sandton or entrepreneurs from Soweto.

Rugby in Jo'burg needs to culled, root and branch (wat is die teenoorgestellende van 'n anglisisme?) and allowed to develop healthily. That means that the union we currently know as the Lions must die out completely. Super rugby has been life support keeping the union ticking over without flourishing. Kill it now and allow something better to replace it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
So the rules that apply to the super rugby has nothing to do with who is allowed to compete in it?

I have to come clean here, I am not particularly pro kings, but I am against the Lions competing in Super Rugby after a decade and a half of being absolutely dreadful and Port Elizabeth is the only remaining metropolitan area in South Africa with the means to run a professional rugby team.

Many of the arguments being promoted in favour of the Kings would actually favour the Lions more. If we are looking for the best black rugby potential in South Africa, we would be much better served looking at St Johns, KES and St Stitians than rural eastern cape. Earlier on this same thread you and I discussed that there are 30-odd schools that produce 90-odd percent of professional rugby players, the thing all these schools have in common is that they are relatively affluent. If you are looking for affluent schools with a large black demographic there is no better place to go looking than the greater Jo'burg area.

The problem we are facing is that club rugby is essentially dead in Jo'burg, with the exception of Monument their schools aren't producing players, Ellis Park is empty and the few people who do show up are plumbers from Benoni and not the stockbrokers from Sandton or entrepreneurs from Soweto.

Rugby in Jo'burg needs to culled, root and branch (wat is die teenoorgestellende van 'n anglisisme?) and allowed to develop healthily. That means that the union we currently know as the Lions must die out completely. Super rugby has been life support keeping the union ticking over without flourishing. Kill it now and allow something better to replace it.
You have to take into account that the Lions franchise include the Lui Perde (Pukke) and Pumas aswell. Pumas alone can compete with the Kings at this very moment. Anyway this is only short term thinking, two more years and both franchises will be included in the SA 6 teams conferense. Will be much better if both franchises (Kings & Lions) build their structures, prepare to play S18 in 2016 and both be powers in the competition. The promotion/relegation have one benefit, it put zoom into our SA teams not to end up in this zone.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Two live televised warmup matches
Kicks off at 15:00 on Saturday 2 February 2013 at the Orlando Stadium in Soweto, and is hosted by the Bulls.
The match will also be broadcast live on SuperSport.
Bulls: 15. Jürgen Visser, 14. Travis Ismaiel, 13. Lionel Mapoe, 12. Jan Serfontein, 11. Sampie Mastriet, 10. Tian Schoeman, 9. Jano Vermaak (v/c), 8. Arno Botha, 7. Jean Cook, 6. Deon Stegmann ©, 5. Grant Hattingh, 4. Paul Willemse, 3. Frik Kirsten, 2. Willie Wepener, 1. Juan Schoeman.
Replacements: 16. Bongi Mbonambi, 17. Hencus van Wyk, 18. Wiaan Liebenberg, 19. Cornell Hess, 20. Ruan Snyman, 21. Handrè Pollard, 22. Ulrich Beyers, 23. Jacques du Plessis.
Lions: TBA

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Cheetahs vs Stormers
Kick-off at the Free State Stadium is at 17:00 on Saturday, with the match to be broadcasted live on SuperSport.

Teams:

Cheetahs:
15 Hennie Daniller, 14 Jannie Boshoff, 13 Johann Sadie, 12 Rayno Benjamin, 11 Rocco Jansen, 10 Riaan Smit, 9 Sarel Pretorius, 8 Phillip van der Walt, 7 Davon Raubenheimer, 6 Johannes Prinsloo, 5 Doppies Vermeulen, 4 Rynhardt Landman, 3 Lourens Adriaanse, 2 Adriaan Strauss (captain), 1 Trevor Nyakane.

Substitutes: 16. Ryno Barnes, 17. Caylib Oosthuizen, 18. Lood de Jager, 19. Francois Uys, 20. Frans Viljoen, 21. Juan Smith, 22. Lappies Labuschagne, 23. Piet van Zyl, 24. Elgar Watts, 25. Barry Geel, 26. Willie le Roux, 27. Hansie Graaff

Stormers:

15. Jaco Taute, 14. Gio Aplon, 13. Juan de Jongh, 12. Damian de Allende, 11. Bryan Habana, 10. Kurt Coleman, 9. Louis Schreuder, 8. Duane Vermeulen (captain), 7. Don Armand, 6. Nizaam Carr, 5. De Kock Steenkamp, 4. Eben Etzebeth, 3. Frans Malherbe, 2. Martin Bezuidenhout, 1. Steven Kitshoff

Substitutes: 16. Stephan Coetzee, 17. Pat Cilliers, 18. Ruan Botha, 19. Michael Rhodes, 20. Rayn Smid, 21. Dewaldt Duvenage, 22. Pat Howard, 23. Gerhard van den Heever, 24. Joe Pietersen

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lions: 15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Deon Helberg, 13 Nicolaas Hanekom, 12 Alwyn Hollenbach, 11 Anthony Volmink, 10 Marnitz Boshoff, 9 Michael Bondesio, 8 Willie Britz, 7 Derick Minnie, 6 Jaco Kriel, 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Hendrik Roodt, 3 Ruan Dreyer, 2 Francois du Toit, 1 JC Janse van Rensburg (captain).
Replacements: 16 Robbie Coetzee, 17 Jacques van Rooyen, 18 JJ Breet, 19 Warwick Tecklenberg, 20 Ross Cronje, 21 Lionel Cronje, 22 Ruhan Nel.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Bulls: 15. Jürgen Visser, 14. Travis Ismaiel, 13. Lionel Mapoe, 12. Jan Serfontein, 11. Sampie Mastriet, 10. Tian Schoeman, 9. Jano Vermaak (v/c), 8. Arno Botha, 7. Jean Cook, 6. Deon Stegmann ©, 5. Grant Hattingh, 4. Paul Willemse, 3. Frik Kirsten, 2. Willie Wepener, 1. Juan Schoeman.
Replacements: 16. Bongi Mbonambi, 17. Hencus van Wyk, 18. Wiaan Liebenberg, 19. Cornell Hess, 20. Ruan Snyman, 21. Handrè Pollard, 22. Ulrich Beyers, 23. Jacques du Plessis.

I know it's only a trial, but this Bulls side looks extremely young.

I know there have been a few comments about young talent going to the Bulls to die, but by my count that bulls starting 15 has three players from the 2012 Junior World Championship winning team. Travis Ismaiel, Jan Serfontein and Paul Willemse, plus Handré Pollard on the bench.

I'm also excited to see more from Arno Botha. I've only seen a little, but I've liked what I've seen.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I know it's only a trial, but this Bulls side looks extremely young.

I know there have been a few comments about young talent going to the Bulls to die, but by my count that bulls starting 15 has three players from the 2012 Junior World Championship winning team. Travis Ismaiel, Jan Serfontein and Paul Willemse, plus Handré Pollard on the bench.

I'm also excited to see more from Arno Botha. I've only seen a little, but I've liked what I've seen.
The Stormers also have a talented young lot coming through. 12. Damian de Allende, 7. Don Armand, 6. Nizaam Carr, 4. Eben Etzebeth, 3. Frans Malherbe, 1. Steven Kitshoff, 18. Ruan Botha, 20. Rayn Smid, 22. Pat Howard

Kitshoff, Botha & Howard also played in the 2012 JWC team. You,ll see a lot of them coming through.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Etsebeth out
Stormers
Etzebeth ruled out for 6-8 weeks - Sunday, February 10, 2013
DHL Stormers lock Eben Etzebeth will miss the start of his team's 2013 Vodacom Super Rugby campaign, after being ruled out of action for six to eight weeks.
Etzebeth limped off in the first half of team's 57-0 pre-season win over the Regent Boland Cavaliers on Saturday and a subsequent scan revealed that he tore ligaments in his left ankle after landing awkwardly at a line-out.
The Springbok lock will be out of action for a minimum of six weeks and DHL Stormers coach Allister Coetzee said: "It's unfortunate for the team and Eben, but like I said after the match yesterday injuries are part and parcel of the game.
"We are fortunate to have players in our squad who can step in and fill that role and that's our focus for now - to find a player to fill that No.4 lock role.
"At the same time, however, our medical team will also ensure that Eben recovers well and comes back strongly for the DHL Stormers."
The DHL Stormers have completed their pre-season playing schedule, after taking part in warm-up matches against the Cheetahs and Boland on February 2 and 9, respectively.
The 2011 and 2012 SA Conference winners will open their 2013 Super Rugby season against the Bulls in Pretoria on Friday, February 22 (kick-off 19h10).

meantime Schalk will probably back for the Brutes one

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
Excited to see Juan Smith back!
His achillies injury hasnt come right after numerous operations so he has hung up his boots.

One of the few (maybe THE only) Free Stater who loved his Province more than the greenbacks that other bigger clubs offer our young stars, and throughout his 69 test career point blank refused any offers from both local and foreign clubs. He was an inspiring captain who loved his rugby, kept his nose clean, but played the game hard.

Thanks for everything Juan!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Cape Cobras add the cricket CC to the rugby CC.
Cape-Cobras-A2-poster-layout_2012.jpg

59851_10152197975260542_578718404_n.jpg

to restore order and the Cape is Dutch again!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Paarl, there was all this talk late last year of Fourie du Preez coming back but I guess that's not going to happen any longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.