• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2014 IRB Junior World Championship – New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

woah there are some crazy team names getting around... Is it really so non-PC to label a team 'A' and 'B' or 1st and 2nd's?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The hopefuls for the NSW Colts Under 20 team have already played some trial games and the selection of the squad can't be too far away.

What are the Queensland lads doing? Playing internal trials only—or playing against other teams?

They were going to be playing against a Japan PRC team but it was supposed to be after the squad got picked—before the National Competition in Canberra a month from now. What are they doing at the moment?

The "Southern States" selection trials are underway in Adelaide. Teams from Vic, WA, ACT and the rest of the country are each playing three games.

The Oz Under 20 coach, Adrian Thompson, and his staff, will pick the Southern States squad (the third Oz team in the Canberra competition)

Tonga is an invited fourth team.

T

TOCC

The hopefuls for the NSW Colts Under 20 team have already played some trial games and the selection of the squad can't be too far away.

What are the Queensland lads doing? Playing internal trials only—or playing against other teams?

They were going to be playing against a Japan PRC team but it was supposed to be after the squad got picked—before the National Competition in Canberra a month from now. What are they doing at the moment?

The "Southern States" selection trials are underway in Adelaide. Teams from Vic, WA, ACT and the rest of the country are each playing three games.

The Oz Under 20 coach, Adrian Thompson, and his staff, will pick the Southern States squad (the third Oz team in the Canberra competition)

Tonga is an invited fourth team.

A large number of the QLD U20's are playing as part of the Reds A team, they played against the Barbarians last weekend and 8 of the U20's are playing against Force A this weekend.

QLD Country(including Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast) U20's has flown down to Adelaide for the Southern States tournament.

tejyteme.jpg

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
If possible could someone take note of the non GPS players at today's trials. I'd like to know how they are also going. It seems to me that the majority of players mentioned are the same ones constantly mentioned on the previous year or twos GPS thread.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
If possible could someone take note of the non GPS players at today's trials. I'd like to know how they are also going. It seems to me that the majority of players mentioned are the same ones constantly mentioned on the previous year or twos GPS thread.

Today, 7 Marlins colts (all non-GPS) will be playing against Argentina.

Props Rory OConnor and Alex Brand, second row Matt Philip, openside flanker Ethan Uili, No8 Vinnie Baranyi, half Fabian Natoli and out centre Benson Fakai.

Benson has been the outstanding centre.

Marlins Ellis Abrahams is GPS.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Today, 7 Marlins colts (all non-GPS) will be playing against Argentina.

Props Rory OConnor and Alex Brand, second row Matt Philip, openside flanker Ethan Uili, No8 Vinnie Baranyi, half Fabian Natoli and out centre Benson Fakai.

Benson has been the outstanding centre.

Marlins Ellis Abrahams is GPS.
Alex Brand is from a GPS school (Grammar) but didn't play GPS representative rugby.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Who cares where they come from?

The relevant thing is: who should have been invited to trial and wasn't? Or maybe even: who was invited but should not have been?

No, I don't have a copy of the list and I don't think there is one except an internal one for the Tahs who are doing the coaching and final selection of the squad. But by now people interested enough would have seen them running around in the trial games.

Have a read of the piece I did over a month ago now:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/new-aussie-competitions-part-ii-under-20s/

Under the NSW Colts section on page 1 there is a description of the process of how the trialists were selected—told to me by Cheika.

I don't think anyone could take exception to the process. I think that it is a great improvement over who was picked for the national camps last year.

Maybe nobody is taking exception and folks are just making a point of how good they reckon GPS rugby is—or isn't.

As you were then.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Who cares where they come from?

The relevant thing is: who should have been invited to trial and wasn't? Or maybe even: who was invited but should not have been?

No, I don't have a copy of the list and I don't think there is one except an internal one for the Tahs who are doing the coaching and final selection of the squad. But by now people interested enough would have seen them running around in the trial games.

Have a read of the piece I did over a month ago now:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/new-aussie-competitions-part-ii-under-20s/

Under the NSW Colts section on page 1 there is a description of the process of how the trialists were selected—told to me by Cheika.

I don't think anyone could take exception to the process. I think that it is a great improvement over who was picked for the national camps last year.

Maybe nobody is taking exception and folks are just making a point of how good they reckon GPS rugby is—or isn't.

As you were then.

Lee - someone asked about non GPS players, not sure why they asked the question but thought some could be listed and grabbed the opportunity to promote the work Manly do do from the grass roots up.

Don't want to take it off topic, right you are - so long as the right players are selected.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I guess I thought the original question had some agenda, and I got on my high horse about it not mattering.

I'm off the horse now.

There's not a lot of chat from north of the Tweed apart from what TOCC mentioned.

Anyone killing them in training or internal trials—or opposed training?

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I was seeking information on the unknowns not the usual players that are already over analysed in these parts by some. It was not a criticism of GPS rugby.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Sorry about that lily.

Just back from the trial game.

During the first 40 minute half it looked like the best of the NSW Colts were playing the best of the Argentina PRC team.

The Argies had some very mature players including some test players, including scrummie Tomas Cubelli, who started against the Wallabies in Perth last year, centre Matias Orlando who has started against England, and winger Santiago Cordero who started against Wales on their 2013 EOYT.

They outsized the young NSW Colts Under 20s up front and had them on roller skates in the first scrum and a couple afterwards but the young Colts settled down and ended their half just 20-12 down.

Argentina started the rest of their players in the second half including their youngest forwards, though a few doubled up. Their backs put on some stunning moves and tries.

The NSW Colts changed their team completely for the second 40 minute trial (they actually swapped jerseys) and it was clear that the best of the locals had been in the first half because they were whacked 30-0, I think, in the second, or it might have been 37-0.

A couple of the NSW backs played both halves.

If there is an interest I will post the two NSW teams after I walk the dogs, but won't bother to type them out unless there is.

Use the Like button if you want them—I need love and attention anyway.

PS—Tim Rapp was appointed the coach of the NSW Colts team during the week.

Tim is the Newington College Director of Rugby and is one of the Oz Schools coaches and selectors. He played for the Waratahs and Oz Sevens back in the day.

PPS—I will put up a blog about the game and something about the NSW Colts team after the weekend because there will be a lot of blogs going up today and tomorrow.

T

TOCC

There's not a lot of chat from north of the Tweed apart from what TOCC mentioned.

Anyone killing them in training or internal trials—or opposed training?

Reds U20 are also playing a trial match against West's Premier Grade team tonight
usubasa8.jpg

T

TOCC

Seems like there is a significantly greater emphasis on the U20's by both major rugby states with the U20 squads training together and also nationally with the U20's tournament.. Such a massive improvement on the practically non-existent selection/development process in past years.

This can manly bode well for the National U20's team, now we need to develop some form of Rugby Championship U20's tournament to take it to the next level.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Sorry about that lily.

Just back from the trial game.

During the first 40 minute half it looked like the best of the NSW Colts were playing the best of the Argentina PRC team.

The Argies had some very mature players including some test players, including scrummie Tomas Cubelli, who started against the Wallabies in Perth last year, centre Maties Orlando who has started against England, and winger Santiago Cordero who started against Wales on their 2013 EOYT.

They outsized the young NSW Colts Under 20s up front and had them on roller skates in the first scrum and a couple afterwards but the young Colts settled down and ended their half just 20-12 down.

Argentina started the rest of their players in the second half including their youngest forwards, though a few doubled up. Their backs put on some stunning moves and tries.

The NSW Colts changed their team completely for the second 40 minute trial (they actually swapped jerseys) and it was clear that the best of the locals had been in the first half because they were whacked 30-0, I think, in the second, or it might have been 37-0.

A couple of the NSW backs played both halves.

If there is an interest I will post the two NSW teams after I walk the dogs, but won't bother to type them out unless there is.

Use the Like button if you want them—I need love and attention anyway.

PS—Tim Rapp was appointed the coach of the NSW Colts team during the week.

Tim is the Newington College Director of Rugby and is one of the Oz Schools coaches and selectors. He played for the Waratahs and Oz Sevens back in the day.

PPS—I will put up a blog about the game and something about the NSW Colts team after the weekend because there will be a lot of blogs going up today and tomorrow.
Thanks Lee, look forward to the blog

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Actually there were seven Argentina test players playing against the NSW Colts Under 20s in the first half today; one of them debuted in 2005.

Here's the list I borrowed from the manager but I hadn't much time to write the names down and I can't read my writing in some cases.

NSW Colts

1st half team

1. Cameron Orr
2. Sam Kitchen
3. Tomas Robertson
4. Cameron Skelton
5. Matt Philip
6. Jack Dempsey
7. Ben Jack McCalman
8. Mitch Whiteley
9. Mitchell Short
10. Andrew Deegan