• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
McInerney over. I dared to dream, but some selfish play, some bottled nerves and a timely sub have swung the momentum. Aus lead 17-7 and look to be significantly more cohesive.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This has been the biggest turnaround I've ever seen. Scotland must've been deflated by only being up by 2 at HT.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Ref is not to blame, but christ, he's not really watching the game, canary hands all over that ruck. Got an odd interpretation of high tackles too.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
First 2 tries after the break were all good work, and you deserve to be winning based on that, but he's given you a really easy ride fir tge kast 10 minutes or so,

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It's a hammering and it really really shouldn't be. No energy or enthusiasm left, you should get another 2 or 3 before the game is over.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Horne should have started. As classy as Vellacott is, George is a wee livewire.

On a somewhat positive note, there's enough '96 births in the squad to make the experience worth it.

Final score 31-21, Aussies shoukd count themselves lucky, and we're left wondering what if.

Got a lot that can be fixed up, but it's a good group to build with towards next season's U20s 6 Nations and JRWC.

Anyways, onto Ireland or Wales, and hopefully a 7th Placed finish.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
NZ scrum is like ours.

- In reverse gear.

Baby blacks have the skills though - nice try. Le Frogge is grunt.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Woke up in time to see the Baby Boks v Soap Dodgers, I fully expected Saffies to be dominant in the forwards like against us Aussies, but it was the other way around.

Terrible vid ref call at the end of first half, ruled out obstruction when it was clear it was, so led to a scrum in England's favour with the resultant pushover try right on half time.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
What's the conclusion of the last years of this tournament?

In 10 years England will crush to NZ, OZ and SA at senior level?

:eek:

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Brian, you've shown your true colours in your anti-QLD rants and when pressed to name the players from NSW who would have made a difference you've come up with nothing.

How about you actually put your money where your mouth is, name these NSW players who would have stated in the XV and who would have made a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As per @Hugh Jarse's post he has named some very very competent players. Would they have made a difference? Hypothetical only now. I honestly don't think I am anti qld. I am sitting in brisvegas as I type. What I am against is the politicing to get player A on the tournament instead of player B. I think you will find I was one of the most vocal a couple of years back in the schoolboys, when, due to the politics in NSW, you had a halfback that could not pass left to right. But enough of that. As far as spruiking the kids are S15. You came 13th.
Yes, the Waratahs had a real shit period too. If you look back you will see the teams of that time reflected a high volume of now elder qld players.
The great sadness is that you have punters out there thinking that the state of 20's Rugby is great. I don't know the answers to Aus school/20's/Rugby, but everyone here seems to. Good luck to the men in their final game

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The ARU Match report from the overnight game against Scotland has been posted on the ARU web site. Click on the Show Spoiler button to see details.
150516%20Alex%20Newsome%20edit%202.jpg

Alex Newsome on the burst
Australia defeat Scotland at World Rugby U20 Championship

A dominant second half from the Australian U20s against Scotland has seen Australia claim a 31-21 victory in the fifth v eighth playoff at the World Rugby U20 Championship.

Two tries to Australia’s Jonah Placid helped the Australian side to the win with the young Aussies to play the winner of Ireland and Wales in the battle to finish fifth in 2015.

Australian U20s Head Coach Adrian Thompson:

“I was impressed with our performance in the second half with the forwards providing a good platform for the backs to go forward.

“We had to work hard against a committed Scottish defence for all of our points and they certainly asked plenty of questions of us.

“Our aim now is to finish the tournament in fifth place and we will start our recovery and preparation for our final match.”

Australia’s next match will be played on Sunday 21 June at 12.30am AEST.

The Match:

The match started with Australia controlling possession and territory in the opening stanzas but a lack of ball control prevented the men in gold from crossing the line early.

It was in fact Scotland, despite having minimal possession of the ball who crossed the line first when Alec Coombes ran a great inside line to slice through the Australian defence. The successful conversion took the score to 0-7.

With a lack of sting in defence, Scotland continued to apply pressure to Australia U20s as they gained more possession and territory.

With the backs looking to create space, Australia’s Jonah Placid put the ball up high, to steal it from the outstretched arms of his opposite number, allowing the fullback to score Australia’s first try in the corner.

Flyhalf Andrew Deegan’s kick shaved to the left, leaving the score at 5-7 in favour of Scotland.
As both sides looked to win the battle in the forwards Australian Prop Matt Sandall showed his leadership ability with a huge defensive work rate, making countless tackles and making his presence known at the breakdown.

Australia was placed under significant pressure in the dying stages of the first half as Scotland asked serious defensive questions.

Despite earning a scrum penalty, Scotland was unable to reap the benefits of their territory and possession leaving the score at 5-7 at halftime.

The second half saw a fired up Australian outfit turn the tables on Scotland from the kick off with a dominant scrum providing the platform.

Back to back tries to Lukan Lealaialoto-tui and Connal McInerney came from the Australian forwards using the pick and drive to great success on the Scottish line.

A conversion from Andrew Deegan brought the score to 17-7 in favour of the men in gold.
With Scotland reduced to 14 men after a high tackle from flyhalf Rory Hutchinson, Australia’s fullback, Jonah Placid was able to cross for his second try of the match as he sliced through Scotland’s defence to score.

Deegan converted the try to take the score to 24-7.

Matt Sandall was rewarded for his solid performance with a try in the 63rd minute as Sandall powered through several Scottish tackles to score underneath the posts.

The successful conversion brought the score to 31-7.

Two late consolation tries to Scotland through Richard Galloway was the only defensive blight for Australia in what was a dominant second half taking the score to 31-21.

Australia was able to hold out Scotland’s late surge to leave the final score at 31-21. Australia will now face the winner of Ireland v Wales in the battle to finish in fifth.

Australia 31 (Jonah Placid 2, Lukan Lealaialoto-tui, Connal McInerney, Matt Sandall tries; Andrew Deegan 3 cons;pens) defeated Scotland 21 (Alec Coombes, Richard Galloway, penalty try tries; Blair Kinghorn 3 cons;)

http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsAr...Scotland-at-World-Rugby-U20-Championship.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.