• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Are there any Queensland people out there?

Helloooooooooooooo !!!!

Anybody in Canberra to tell us who is doing well there - or has got news of form etc.

I'm sure you'll find a couple on the blog complaining about NSW bias and no one reporting about the Queenslanders.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
I'm sure you'll find a couple on the blog complaining about NSW bias and no one reporting about the Queenslanders.

Tough for anyone to be talking up the QLD'ers when they appear to be struggling a bit behind the performances being put out by NSW.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tough for anyone to be talking up the QLD'ers when they appear to be struggling a bit behind the performances being put out by NSW.

I was referring to the fact that blog posts in particular get lots of comments saying the site is NSW-centric whereas there's always a call for writers from outside NSW to contribute specifically so we can get more information about the other states.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
I was referring to the fact that blog posts in particular get lots of comments saying the site is NSW-centric whereas there's always a call for writers from outside NSW to contribute specifically so we can get more information about the other states.

Now i see. That is a fair point.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought Mafi was a hooker?
I think @Newbie's rationale is that he feels that he has the size and body shape to be able to play both Prop (at a pinch) and Hooker. The body shape of some hookers such as Craig (NSW) and Roach (another Woody) before him are such that they can realistically only play one front row position. That being said against weaker teams, hookers built like Craig/Roach could, and do, play well as a flanker.

With quick turnaround games being a feature of tournament play, Head of Selection Panel @Newbie was looking for players who could play in more than one position because of the flexibility that offers the Coaching staff.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

The good ones don't ... ... ... and there are a few NSW Gaggerlanders that are as feral and one eyed as the best of the Banjolanders.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well done that man. Congratulations to Michael and his connections.

Seriously weakens the Red piggies for the big game today, assuming he will now be unavailable.

I reckon they'd let him play today and fly him back to Brisbane tonight for the captain's run tomorrow.

Wednesday is presumably the Reds day off like it is for the Tahs and other teams.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Just looking at the Qld 20's list from game v. Fiji. A few new names. Does anyone have any background - club/school/prev rep etc for the #13 Brannagh Corcoran ? I think Qld will have their hands full with the NSW back 3 today.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Secret Squirrel mentioned him as somebody who didn't play that well on Monday.

His centre partner and he were big enough but didn't pose too many challenges to the Fijians, he said.

But SS is nuts.

He played in the Qld U16 team in Sydney a few years back with Jonah Placid and Jack Tuttle according to my old programme - but I can't remember him now.

Well done to Michael Gunn: I remember watching him in the NRC at Brookvale, and I thought he would be in a Red's jumper one day. He's a bit like Liam Gill and he's even better than Gill in the open, I reckon.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Brannagh Corcoran is a 2012 graduate of Iona College. Attended 2011 U16's as part of Qld Red (winners). Not selected for Qld Schools in 2012, possibly to concentrate on the Loig "career".

Seems to have spent time with Wynnam Manly Seagulls Mungos last year in the QRL Colts Competition.

big hit from brannagh corcoran cant see the actual contact but can still tell

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Just looking at the Qld 20's list from game v. Fiji. A few new names. Does anyone have any background - club/school/prev rep etc for the #13 Brannagh Corcoran ? I think Qld will have their hands full with the NSW back 3 today.
This is only googled and I don't know the player but it looks like he was from Iona College, played for Qld rugby U16 in 2011 and has also played (or plays) colts rugby league (QRL) in the forward pack.

EDIT: HJ and LG beat me to it.

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
There is very little info coming through to Qld from the tournament.

Jurd, Edwards & Moroney are UQ prem colts.
Jurd is normally a #13, ex Toowoomba Grammar, Aus A 2013.
Edwards a #11, ex BBC #11/13, Aus schools shadow 2014, Aus 7s youth squad 2015
Moroney a #7, ex Gregory Terrace, Aus schools 2014

I've no idea of injury extents, but Jurd, Corcoran, Edwards & Moroney were flown in last Sunday.

Sincere thanks to @cdeegan/@distant2011 & other forum members for game comments & reports.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
From the Q 20's list I can only see 3 names from last years Colts GF (Bros 2 and S' Bank 1) I know Bros beat Uni 3 from 3 for the year and S'Bank beat Uni twice (I think ?). How much Colts rugby did Coach Gilmour see last year ? Is he now the sole selector ?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Secret Squirrel reports:

Sustained attack from Fiji results in try in corner

Great break by no 7 Joel Brown, Baas awarded penalty
Resultant play sees great hands for Pat Toeta, playing 15 today, to score

Fiji 7-5 v. Barbarians after 15 mins.

Bill McLean (32)
@Newbie, is James Tuttle an outside back or a halfback, i had him down as a 9?

As @Hugh Jarse said above I have selected some players on utility. Tuttle is one that could (if required) fit into most places of the backline. Good player, though I regarded his older brother more highly!

Admittedly I have left out Mr. Gunn in my selection - remiss of me! In fact you could probably throw more into a wider training group. So much talent for so few places!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Great attacking play and skills from Fiji 14 and he's in in corner

Baas 15 Toeta looks like he's suffered serious knee injury as he is helped off.

12-all after 30

Status
Not open for further replies.