• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
they deleted the post, i think he made the squad but i dont think easts were allowed to formally annouce it lol

I thought that was a bit premature / cheeky, but posted it here as it was an 'official' public announcement, rather than secret squirrel whispers. There were at least 150 views on it yesterday.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Name Club State
Cameron Orr West Harbour NSW
Folau Fainga'a Sydney University NSW
Matthew Sandell Sydney University NSW
Ned Hanigan Randwick NSW
Harrison Williams Sydney University NSW
Olly Kamp Randwick NSW
Andrew Deegan Randwick NSW
Andrew Kellaway Randwick NSW
Alex Newsome Eastern Suburbs NSW
Lukhan Lealaiauloco Southern Districts NSW
Harry Jones Warringah NSW
Henry Hutchinson Randwick NSW
Aaron Pleash University of QLD QLD
Adam Korczyk University of QLD QLD
Lolo Fakaosilea Sunnybank QLD
Michael Gunn Easts QLD
Duncan Paia’aua GPS QLD
James Dalgleish University of QLD QLD
James Tuttle GPS QLD
Campbell Magnay GPS QLD
Harry Nucifora Bond University QLD
Brad Wilkin Easts QLD
Connal McInerney Tuggeranong ACT
Tyrell Lomax Tuggeranong ACT
Riley Winter Wests Scarborough WA
Hayden Anderson Wests Scarborough WA
Fereti Saaga Melbourne Uni VIC
Sione Tuipolotu Southern Districts VIC
Jonah Placid Melbourne Uni VIC

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Does anyone know if the 29 listed above is the final squad, or do they cull this down to 25-26?

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Quick squad breakdown
Props:
Orr
Saaga
Pleash
Sandell
Lomax

Hookers:
Fainga'a
McInnerny

Locks:
Nannigan
Williams
Winter
Tui

Backrow:
Korsyck
Anderson
Gunn
Wilkin
Kamp
Fakaosilea

Halfs:
Tuttle
Nucifora

Flyhalf:
Deegan
Paia'aua
Dalgleish

Centres:
Magnay
Kellaway
Newsome
Tuipolotu

Wing/Fullback:
Jones
Placid
Hutchison

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Congratulations to players and their family associates. Stay fit and uninjured, because there is a bloke who wasn't selected that will be doing just that and will not hesitate to step up into your spot if they get a phone call.

There is a lot of quality in that squad which IMHO was largely predictable, with only a couple of minor "surprises", and shows no real evidence of interstate quotas or bias. Even so, the aggrieved will probably be out polishing up their tin foil hats. This year the challenge for the Selectors was probably who to leave out as the worst of the best, rather than who to select as the best of the worst. Very reliable snouts have confirmed over the weekend the all lads that were in my mental squad but not listed above have been told they are in the Shadow squad.

There was always going to be some disappointment. Those in that category can either knuckle under and get better, or pack up the tent and stop trying.

Bear in mind that Hugh's rule applies and there will be at least 2 players called up from Shadow due to injuries, poor performances at the Oceania Tournament, or others not being released from their Pro contracts.

Always good to see some without extensive schoolboy and junior representative scrapbooks get rewarded for their efforts in Colts and Grade.

For the lucky ones selected, how many games will we see them playing on suburban ovals for their clubs before the Jnr RWC?

muddy

Peter Burge (5)
very solid sqaud, i think if hey are going to cut players , i think maybe only 2 or 3 the max , i think maybe one back and 2 fowards or vice versa

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Does anyone know if the 29 listed above is the final squad, or do they cull this down to 25-26?

They seem to take 28 to the Jnr RWC.

In playing the numbers games on the announced squad, remember Hugh's rule that 2 from Shadow will get called up.

Using @Hans breakdown above, so far we have:
Prop: 5
Hooker: 2
Lock: 4
Loose Forward: 6
Halfback: 2
Flyhalf: 3
Centre: 4
Back Three: 3

Pigs: 17
Princess: 12
Total:29

Using history as a guide, I reckon there will be one more back added, and they have banked on losing one of Wilkin, Gunn, or Fakaosilia to Pro Duties.

A squad size of 28 goes to the Jnr RWC.
Previously the functional breakdown of the young Men in Gold squad was:
2014 Squad (from Wikipedia):
Lock: 3
Loose Forward: 5
Flyhalf: 2
Back Three: 5

Pigs: 15
Princess: 13
Squad: 28

2013 Squad (From G&GR Blog archive):
Prop: 4
Hooker: 3
Lock: 3
Loose Forward: 5
Halfback: 3
Centre: 2
Back Three: 5

Pigs: 15
Princess: 13
Squad: 28
<snip>

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
Good squad should do very well. My only comment is there is not a lot of options to cover the back three if there are any injuries there. A player like Pat Toeta could have covered those positions and fly half too. Might have been a handy utility player. Congratulations to all the young men that made the cut. And to those who didn't, work hard and your chance will come, you were in the mix and it is a credit to you to get to Nationals.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
They seem to take 28 to the Jnr RWC.

In playing the numbers games on the announced squad, remember Hugh's rule that 2 from Shadow will get called up.

Using @Hans breakdown above, so far we have:
Lock: 4
Loose Forward: 6
Back Three: 3

Pigs: 17
Princess: 12
Total:29

Using history as a guide, I reckon there will be one more back added, and they have banked on losing one of Wilkin, Gunn, or Fakaosilia to Pro Duties.

Based on the balance of the squad and the versatility of the backs, if they are to cut 2 or 3, i would expect a lock, and probably a centre to go, possibly 2 centres/wings. I expect Kellaway will be a centre/wing cover, with the stock of flyhalfs covering fullback for Placid.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I noticed this at the bottom of the presser:
"2014 Australian Under 20s representative and Queensland Under 20s winger, Conrad Quick was not considered for selection for the FORU Under 20s Championship due to injury."

While he will miss the FORU tournament, if match fit in time he would be a welcome addition to the Jnr RWC squad.

Bill McLean (32)
Alex Mafi was also missing from the Qld squad due to injury. Does anyone have an update on his status? I thought he'd be a shoe in for a spot.

With that said my largest applause would go to Folau Fainga'a on his selection. As @Hugh Jarse can testify I have been mentioning this lad for a few years. IMO he was always worthy of junior selection but it was never forthcoming. The fact that he played up a year for most of his junior career probably didn't help his cause.

Anyway cream always rises to the top and he has achieved a feat that most others dearly covet. I am sure his very parochial and supportive mum is making young Folau and extra pot of Taro tonight as a reward for good effort; "eat up son this food be Tongan steroids!" ;)

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
I noticed that they specifically mentioned Quick, and was a bit puzzled, as lots of boys would be out for injury I would have thought (eg, Alex Mafi). Is he a special case for some reason?

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Cameron Orr
Matthew Sandell
Sam Croke
Lolo Fakaosilea
Andrew Kellaway
Conrad Quick

Jonah Placid

RugbyReg posted the above list in the 2014 equivalent thread as the list of those players from last year's squad who would be eligible for selection this year.

Apart from Croke (who must be on a short list of reserves) & Quick, the others have all been selected, so perhaps that's why Quick deserved special mention due to his injured status.

rugby roo

Peter Burge (5)
Wow just saw team list for squad.
Generally a good squad from my obsvervations but
Yes I am "surprised" with a few selections.
I would have included Short the Nsw halfback he has a lot of skill and potential already.
I also thought Croke the NSW loose forward who set up A.Kellaway for the try of the tournament in Canberra already has skill and potential and experience was a gimme.
Also Placid for all above reasons but I have since heard he is injured.
And Kellaway at centre ???. I know a lot of scribes say he is a 13 but j believe he works best with space directly in front of him with sideline as a marker
I saw him at JWC last year when they tried him at fullback and he didnt excell there at all because his forward running and thinking game was clouded with so many options it affected his processing.t
He is a brilliant finisher who can get to highest level by working on his positioning like he did in Canberra sniffing a loosie who was breaking the line and coming off right wingg .That is what needs to be acknowledged. But dont put him at 13 yet its a different role particulary at set pieces.
I just hope the selectors and coaches dont try and take on say a junior Boks at their own game though it will be a mistake
I am told the selectors are mindful of picking a versatile squad.I can see that with a few positional selections but I hope they have the skills to implement versatile game plans to suit confitions and opponents as well.
Anyway well done to all the boys and good luck for forthcoming schedule of games especially the big one v All Blacks juniors.
We are all behind you and support you 100%.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Rugby Roo, the "selection" of Kellaway at Centre a couple of posts above is just one of us keyboard selectors view of the world, and may or may not be where Coach Thompson intends to playing him.

B

Bobby Sands

The backline atleast will look something like;

Tuttle, Deegan, Jones, Tuipolotu, Magnay, Kellaway, Placid.

T

TOCC

Alex Mafi has only just come back from injury

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.