• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
There are no NSW pathway selectors. The system is that anyone can round up a crew and turn up to the junior selection trials in April, where their performances will be assessed by the National selectors. NSW Rowing and NSWIS are currently co-ordinating a pathway crew for the girls, but not the boys, as there is no interest from the GPS. There would not have been an official pathway selector at the scull race on Friday. There are a couple of Sydney clubs trying to round up rowers to take part in the junior trials in April, and there is a possibility that they will end up competing with each other, rather than combine resources. So the crews that try out for National selection may not even be the best crews in NSW.
I thought I was being ironic. Oh well...

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
No, you need to be 18 or under in the calendar year. So it is possible to race the HOR and School events at the State's and Nationals when you are 18 and a half, but you cant race the U19 age category.
That's not right. You can. If you don't turn 19 you can still row in the U19s (by the way that is being 18). It's that simple. If you don't want to row in the U19s events at Nationals or State and want to row as part of a schoolboy/girl event, then that's your perogative.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
You don't get 5 points automatically. You need to show that you have competed at a National or high level, and competed successfully. So that rules out most of the Year 12 GPS rowers, as only a small percentage of them are competing at the Nationals. If were to get 5 points for just being a rower, the 3rd eights race would have 100 entries.
I made two points - 1. your need letter from school; & 2. up to 5 ATAR points
My experience is based on 2 children, who competed at nationals - what is yours?
One was given the letter by their school, the other wasn't - no letter from school = no pickup from Sydney Uni.
It is at the University's discretion as to how many they will allow - ie a base of 94.75 is unlikely to be promoted to 99.75.

Also interested in your reference for School eligibility - can't see on the RowingNSW site.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
I made two points - 1. your need letter from school; & 2. up to 5 ATAR points
My experience is based on 2 children, who competed at nationals - what is yours?
One was given the letter by their school, the other wasn't - no letter from school = no pickup from Sydney Uni.
It is at the University's discretion as to how many they will allow - ie a base of 94.75 is unlikely to be promoted to 99.75.

Also interested in your reference for School eligibility - can't see on the RowingNSW site.
You don't get 5 points automatically. You need to show that you have competed at a National or high level, and competed successfully. So that rules out most of the Year 12 GPS rowers, as only a small percentage of them are competing at the Nationals. If were to get 5 points for just being a rower, the 3rd eights race would have 100 entries.
I think my filters are wearing out.... Help...!

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think to stay in a sport for pathways, you may have to compete at National and or International level. not 100% sure of this

Not to my knowledge. The school may support the student's wish to do pathways simply so the student can add lustre to that school's sporting reputation. The student is not required by the BOS to be selected in representative teams as a condition of staying on a pathways program.

edit - if you are talking about rowing pathways not HSC Pathways, ignore everything I wrote!

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
UNDER 19
A competitor ceases to be Under 19 on 31st December of the year in which
he/she reaches the age of 18 years.
I was referring to the pathways rowers in their second year of doing Year 12 (as if they had repeated). They cant row U19's at the Nationals if they turned 18 in the prior calendar year. They can be 18 at the Nationals and still ineligible. So there is a difference in eligibility if you were born on the 1st January vs 31st December.

"If you turn 19 in the calendar year you are ineligible for the U19 events held that year."

"If you don't turn 19 you can still row in the U19s (by the way that is being 18). It's that simple. If you don't want to row in the U19s events at Nationals or State and want to row as part of a schoolboy/girl event, then that's your perogative."

Barry read my previous posts... you seem to ignore the above. Is there another crew I should go off to row in???

L

LBA

I am sorry I asked about the age thing - great debate or just two males slogging it out I do not know really!

fpiglet I think I got the Newington zootie mixed up with the Kings zootie so I might have been looking at the wrong boy - heading back out to SIRC this Saturday will check out the Newington 1st VIII stroke - in a non cougar manner OK. All this GPS stuff is still very new to me.

Now to clarify my topic of Pathways - last Sunday 24 little female rowers all travelled to Mosman - some of them were asked and some of them nominated themselves. The ladies who were sent an email had been watched for want of a better description and invited to attend the selection program.

Please find below the information I obtained from Rowing Australia website.
In order to facilitate the transition for athletes moving from the school rowing programs to club programs and the national talent pathway, Rowing Australia in conjunction with the relevant state rowing associations have developed the Schools Pathway 8+ initiative.

This initiative provides the opportunity for each state to nominate a Men’s and Women’s Junior 8+ to participate in Junior Selection trials. In a first across the line format, the winning crew will be invited to participate in the speed order trials on the final day of trialling to earn a place on the Australian Junior Rowing Team to participate in the FISA Junior World Rowing Championships to be held in Hamburg, Germany in August 2014.

Eligibility

School Student:
Athletes must be enrolled at a secondary school in 2014.

Athletes must be born on or after 1st January 1996 to be eligible.

Details of Travel and competition:
Junior trials in Penrith, Sydney, NSW 23-27th April, 2014 (Likely travel period 21st-27th April 2014)
FISA Junior World Championships, Hamburg, Germany 6-10th August. (Likely travel period 16h July -13th August)

L

LBA

Barry knew about this happening for the girls but what about the boys?

Oh and yes "Little pig" I did see parents in the passenger seats :):)

I do not mean to be disrespectful to the AAGPS association in anyway but what the?

1) the sculling trials are used as a selection technique to select an honorary GPS VIII. From the first time trials they grade them, race them and select the top 12. They then should seat race the top 12 and select an VIII. That's why they do it.

Do they ever race anybody? Would you ever see in a Regatta Draw - Honorary GPS VIII lane 2.

Wouldn't that be like saying I own a V8 sportscar but I do not drive it - I just have it in the garage? Why bother? Get it out clear the cobwebs out of the cylinders and let the engine bed in. See if this baby can purr.

I am sorry I cannot stop laughing - Good afternoon my name is Mr whatever and I was selected as stroke of the Honorary AAGPS VIII - unless you knew all about the association - you would be thinking - what rhymes with banker again behindtheshed?

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
I am sorry I asked about the age thing - great debate or just two males slogging it out I do not know really!

fpiglet I think I got the Newington zootie mixed up with the Kings zootie so I might have been looking at the wrong boy - heading back out to SIRC this Saturday will check out the Newington 1st VIII stroke - in a non cougar manner OK. All this GPS stuff is still very new to me.

Now to clarify my topic of Pathways - last Sunday 24 little female rowers all travelled to Mosman - some of them were asked and some of them nominated themselves. The ladies who were sent an email had been watched for want of a better description and invited to attend the selection program.

Please find below the information I obtained from Rowing Australia website.
In order to facilitate the transition for athletes moving from the school rowing programs to club programs and the national talent pathway, Rowing Australia in conjunction with the relevant state rowing associations have developed the Schools Pathway 8+ initiative.

This initiative provides the opportunity for each state to nominate a Men’s and Women’s Junior 8+ to participate in Junior Selection trials. In a first across the line format, the winning crew will be invited to participate in the speed order trials on the final day of trialling to earn a place on the Australian Junior Rowing Team to participate in the FISA Junior World Rowing Championships to be held in Hamburg, Germany in August 2014.

Eligibility

School Student:
Athletes must be enrolled at a secondary school in 2014.

Athletes must be born on or after 1st January 1996 to be eligible.

Details of Travel and competition:
Junior trials in Penrith, Sydney, NSW 23-27th April, 2014 (Likely travel period 21st-27th April 2014)
FISA Junior World Championships, Hamburg, Germany 6-10th August. (Likely travel period 16h July -13th August)
All good, LBA. Cougar or non-cougar, it's up to you!

Yep. That's what happens and Mosman RC, for example, are very organised at doing this. If a crew wins (with a decent prognostic... though debatable as to what they set as a decent prognostic) then they can cut through selection (i.e. seat racing or sculling times) and can take the crew as is. That's how the two boys sweep oar crews got into the Juniors this year from two clubs. Dunno about the girls.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Barry knew about this happening for the girls but what about the boys?

Oh and yes "Little pig" I did see parents in the passenger seats :):)

I do not mean to be disrespectful to the AAGPS association in anyway but what the?

1) the sculling trials are used as a selection technique to select an honorary GPS VIII. From the first time trials they grade them, race them and select the top 12. They then should seat race the top 12 and select an VIII. That's why they do it.

Do they ever race anybody? Would you ever see in a Regatta Draw - Honorary GPS VIII lane 2.

Wouldn't that be like saying I own a V8 sportscar but I do not drive it - I just have it in the garage? Why bother? Get it out clear the cobwebs out of the cylinders and let the engine bed in. See if this baby can purr.

I am sorry I cannot stop laughing - Good afternoon my name is Mr whatever and I was selected as stroke of the Honorary AAGPS VIII - unless you knew all about the association - you would be thinking - what rhymes with banker again behindtheshed?
Unfortunately it's the case. Finding a race for them has been discussed a lot over the years but different sports take precedence after the HOTR. (Though to be fair they just pick a top VIII in no particular seat order)

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
I didnt ignore your earlier posts - you said the following "If you don't turn 19 you can still row in the U19s". That is not correct. If you turned 19 the week after the Nationals you would not be allowed to row U19s at the Nationals. You could row in the shool events, but not U19.

Read the previous comment to that one!! (below)

"If you turn 19 in the calendar year you are ineligible for the U19 events held that year."

L

LBA

Correct. It's a shame but it's all apparently too hard. That's why the sculling part of it is important.
Why is it important? The results are not released - of what real benefit is it to anybody. I am a huge fan of sculling but Iam referring to the AAGPS sculling - I am beginning to understand why Shore did not waste their time. A day off school - travelling out to SIRC etc..
I would like to clarify a couple of things so I have got it right in my head -
there is no money in rowing (I did already know that) - not like Rugby or Golf or Tennis. The AAGPS runs a series of Regatta's during the Summer Sports season of GPS schools. The majority of boys the give up rowing after Yr12. Winter sports or athletics kicks in straight after the AAGPS season. But the AAGPS select a crew that if they got a chance to row together they could do well at Nationals and then could go to Junior Worlds and possibly see each of the boys receive additional marks for their ATAR.

So "eyes on the prize" so to speak - is one race not even all of them - the 1st VIII AAGPS HOR - after looking not all the winning crews even get a trophy.

Regardless of the above if I am correct - the racing was very exciting and the margins - 3rd IV 1.71 between 1st and 3rd - 2nd VIII - 2.66 between 1st and 3rd those are just two that stood out.

As a coach "bloody hell" - what would you say? Boys - you did really well but if you could only just go 2.66 seconds faster you would have won! I think this week it would be good to be a fly on the wall in the sheds. In my limited experience of racing a bad start start could cost you 2.66 or more !!

alfred

Bob McCowan (2)
First impressions

Yr 10 VIIIs - could be a very fast year.
Shore look good with Kings, and Scots in the mix.
Scots and Kings yr 10 1st VIIIs have raced over 7kms in the last two weeks to be separated by less than 2 seconds.
Shore yr10 1st VIII appears a class above already. Tall and technically solid. The record for a yr 10 VIII is 6.10.75 at SIRC. These guys did a 6.15.48 at the first regatta of the season.

2012 shore yr 10 VIII rowed a 6:10.03 but i think kings 2004 may have gone sub 6:10

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
NSW Rowing website - Competition section / Laws of Boat Racing / Part 8. Status Rules - the school reference is part 4(a)
Who was the last student who did pathways and rowed? An example would be helpful, otherwise this argument is irrelevant to rowing.
PS not a lawyer but I think their definition of U19 throughout the season refers to age at beginning of year, ie not 18. As soon as they turn 18 they cease to eligible for the following season.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Thanks for the correction.
I only had a quick unscientific look through the regatta results and
I missed that 2012 time for Shore but the Kings 2004 time I found was 6.10.90something. There were only a handful of times I found under 6.15 including a 6.09 by Scotch in U17 school VIII at the Nats in 2013
All the low times I found were in the latter part of the season usually at SRC, Kings/PLC or HOR regattas. Pre Christmas SIRC regattas for GPS are relatively new but The best pre Christmas time I saw was a 6.22 by Shore. There seems to be about a 10 sec improvement in yr10 VIIIs over the season so 6.15 this early is an indicator fast times after Christmas
Agree - the time is extraordinary for term 4 with no strong wind assistance.

L

LBA

Hey Lincoln - I mentioned the Pathways program not to cause an argument and to be frank it did not cause an argument - discussion yes!

I mentioned it because I am interested in the progression of these young man who have trained bloody hard and achieved great results. Is the GPS Rowing program a stepping stone. It appears NOT.

As mentioned previously in this forum the Australia Junior rowing results to date have not been that crash hot. I thought like Rugby boys might be selected to progress from their GPS rowing experience.

That is it nothing more nothing less. I came to this forum to learn about GPS Rowing. Asking questions is an intelligent way of learning - or that is my understanding.

L

LBA

Another concern! Did anybody else hear the announcement that cox's did not have to weigh in - what the? And I saw boys not wearing socks in the boats. To the best of knowledge rowing rules are rowing rules - 50kg for cox's and they need to weigh in 1hr before the race.

Wearing socks in shoes is rowing 101.

Also the boys went to get bow numbers and they needed money - I had one mother sitting next to me scratching in her purse for $10 - I looked on the website and there was nothing to say that.

The boys who do end up at Nationals are going to get a rude shock.

Oh and I was not panicking I was impressed and relieved I am not a coach.

L

LBA

I have never witness anybody taking money to leave as a deposit. What happens if it blows off and ends up in the drink? You loose your money and what the school goes out and buys a new number at the bow number shop.

I have had a small collection of bow numbers in my bag that I have collected from the bank at Nepean / Hen & Chicken - in the car park of a boat shed. I have tried my best to return them but I have two at the moment. PLC does not say which one and a Normo again does not say which one.

This GPS thing is a beast of it's own.

Socks in boats basic hygiene really - stop blisters - I always see people getting in and pushing off only to stop a little way out for everybody to get their socks from being tucked in the bottom of their zootie and settle in. I would not have it any other way.

Yuck is a word that springs to mind - I have seen girls wearing rubgy socks I have seen boys wearing rugby socks. Socks to me 101. Not wearing socks is just wrong.

I am a girl but - as we now all know.

Status
Not open for further replies.