• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
There are 5 teams who play 4 matches each.

5 x 4 = 20 - then divide by 2 because there are 2 teams in each match = 10 games.

You can have only 2 games per week so 4 rounds are not enough - you have to have 5.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
There's more permutations, but those look the most likely. Any other confirmation on Fixtures I've missed?

Well done Highlander; so with your scheme (the one starting in Rd 1 of Super Rugby and finishing in Rd 5, with the final in Rd 6) there is only one game that is not a curtain-raiser.

There may have to be a toss of the coin to see who misses out on that curtain-raiser game.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Well done Highlander; so with your scheme (the one starting in Rd 1 of Super Rugby and finishing in Rd 5, with the final in Rd 6) there is only one game that is not a curtain-raiser.

There may have to be a toss of the coin to see who misses out on that curtain-raiser game.

With 8 hours of sleep behind me, the 1st set of fixtures would be more likely, as that would fit the 2 home, 2 away schedule, whereas the 2nd set of fixtures gives ACT 3 away games, and NSW 3 home games. Might not even need a coin flip, it could just be tough titties ACT.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
^^^^
I didn't look at the second one because it involved Rd 6 which is when the final is scheduled.

But your 1st one looks spot on.

However it assumes that the Super U20 comp starts in Rd 1 of Super Rugby and not in Rd 2 which was postulated earlier.

Is there any link to info that the U20 may start in Rd 2 - or is it just hearsay?

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I heard (I stand corrected) the Reds u20 first game is against the Force, which would mean they possibly have a bye in rd 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Possibly:
Rd1
WA vs VIC
ACT vs NSW
QLD bye
Rd2
QLD vs WA
NSW vs VIC
ACT bye
Rd3
WA vs ACT
VIC vs QLD
NSW bye
Rd4
ACT vs QLD
NSW vs WA
Vic bye
Rd5
QLD vs NSW
ACT vs Vic
WA bye

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
There was a suggestion (back on page 8 of this thread) that NSW would run 2 teams in the Super Rugby Curtain Raising competition.

@Lee Grant, has there been any suggestion/confirmation of this from your discussions with the Waratahs U20's folk.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
There was a suggestion (back on page 8 of this thread) that NSW would run 2 teams in the Super Rugby Curtain Raising competition.

@Lee Grant, has there been any suggestion/confirmation of this from your discussions with the Waratahs U20's folk.

There has been no mention but I will ask this afternoon.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
There has been no mention but I will ask this afternoon.

Thanks Lee on the ground as always. Would be interested in your view if there are any "smokies" who impress you today outside of the usual schoolboy rockstars who are often mentioned in these forums. e.g. Will be interested how Ted Pye (former country half) matches up to Goddard,Strang and co, the battle for positions in the forwards will also be most interesting. Hopefully i can get out there to watch.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Pye has looked good in training and impressed me when he played for NSW Country in an U20 trial last year at Moore Park.

Like Ned Yeomans and others he has moved to Sydney to further his career - and was selected as starting scrum half for the NSW Under 19s earlier in the year out of the Easts club.

The two ace Australian Schools scrummies of 2015 should find it difficult to get above the older Pye but you never know - Strang and Goddard are the best pair of Sydney schoolboy scrum halves to play in the same year that I can remember - and they both "play old".

Both are all-round performers. Strang doesn't seem to have a weakness and has played in NRC so he will be well regarded; Goddard, who has the attributes to play in other positions, is probably the more brilliant player, but he seems to be carrying a slight injury.

Smokies?? I don't know if you would call Jack Hayson a smokey but he has the biggest engine of the forwards, with Hugh Summerhayes up there too. Hayson could be a Sevens player.

Flyhalf Jack McGregor may be considered a smokey since he was at school this year - and I mention him because they just couldn't tackle him in a few of the exercises.

But how they play today will be of more importance.

It's good to see that Adrian Thompson (the Aus U20 coach amongst other things) is reading Green and Gold.

He just sent me an email saying that he read the recent blog and will give me the details of the Super Rugby Under 20 comp early in the new year. They're still working out funding and participation rights.

PS - Centre Sione Afu and fullback Guy Porter were in rehab training on Tuesday; so they probably won't be in the hit-out today.

There's others that I haven't noticed at training either, but to be honest there's some of the 60 odd players I don't know, and even a few of the 2014 Schoolboys who I knew fairly well are almost unrecognisable now.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
A lot can happen in the first year out of school.

One correction to the above is that Strang didn't play any NRC, although he was selected in the Sydney Stars Squad. As well as being required for the Schoolboy Games in Brisbane against Samoa and NZ, he also had a little issue of HSC to deal with, and would have been needed for his School 1st XV for the AAGPS rounds which were still going when NRC started IIRC. WA Schoolboy, Nick Jooste was able to play in some of the early NRC games because School 1st XV footy was probably finished for him by then.

As good as Goddard and Strang are, for the next stage of the pathway they face intense competition from North of the Tweed where Sorevi, Nucifora, and Tuttle are all hot contenders for the Gold #9 jumper. These three all have a year out of school headstart, and a full NRC season, as well as Tuttle being an incumbent U20 player.

Personally I'm more interested in how things are shaping up in the Engine Room. How are our Bulldozers and Giraffes looking? These unsung heros win matches, and it is an area where our U20's have been a little under done in the past. The blinking Banjolanders pinched our Work-In-Progress (Lukhan Longname*) which won't help the NSW cause.

It is good to see that the "powers that be" are working on finalising the details for the Super Rugby Curtain Raiser Cup. If the money can be found, I reckon that NSW could field a second team that would be competitive and with a 6 team comp, this would also negate any bye games. If it happens, this team could be supported with a couple of "just below the radar" lads from Queensland, as a Barbarians/Combined States model.

* Lukhan LEALAIAULOTO-TUI

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
HJ

Yeah Lukhan was the surprise of 2015 as I foretold might be the case this time last year, but just when I get to spell his name without looking it up he moves up north.

Lukhan has the sniff of a journeyman about him - in the sense that I think he will journey a bit in the sport. He left league to grab a chance in union after the start of the 2014 winter, then moved from Southerns to Randwick, and now he is north of the border.

Nothing wrong in any of that - the market place usually works - but I hope that he doesn't go offshore early after getting exposure in this country.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Definitely not two NSW U20 teams "this year" in U20s according to Rapp - read into that what you like.

It was a good hit out today - will write a blog about it tonight or more likely tomorrow. Chris Malone didn't know what to expect because he hadn't seen some of them play before but was pleased with the quality and intensity.

In my eyes it was better than 12 months ago but folks know what my memory is like.

Even without Lukhan it will be a big side for 2016.

More current year schoolboys stood out today than they did in the hit out 12 months ago, which is a plus for 2017 but not necessarily 2016.

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
ACT under 20's Named

Congrats to all included

FORWARDS
Marcus Cutler
Tyrel Lomax
Tom Ross
Falelie Sione
Angus Wagner
Sam Samuela
Suita Tai
Tevita Unga-Wolske
Oliver Adams
Cameron Holt
Zac Shepherd
Darcy Swain
Angus Allen
Sam Allen
Lewis Bozzarto
Sione Fualalo
Brodie Leber
Bruce Jnr Monu
Dean Paragali
Levi Goodwin-Shaw

BACKS
Jacob Abel
Mitchell Douch
Ryan Lonergan
Jordan Jackson-Hope
Nick Jooste
Harry Tyson
Ben Darmody
Jordan Fulivai
Trai Henderson
Iziah Tittor
Thomas Hall
Jamie Kotz
Kealii Leuluai
Geoffrey Robertson
Samuel Ross
Cole Davis

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
some good young blokes in this side. a number coming back from the Barbarians side from last year and some good additions with the likes of Levi Goodwin-Shaw and Ryan Lonergan. the addition of Nick Jooste from WA will be a big inclusion, how this bloke was not in the Baa Baas side last year is beyond me.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Some shrewd recruiting from QLD by the Politicians.

4 of this years QLD Schoolboy Graduates are in the Mountain Kingdom's U20's.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Some shrewd recruiting from QLD by the Politicians.

4 of this years QLD Schoolboy Graduates are in the Mountain Kingdom's U20's.

I spotted 3 straight away (Allen, Swain and Robertson). Took me quite a while to find the 4th (Shepherd). Am I right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.