• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Tui injured shoulder in trial game, Harry Hockings is the stand in. Rodda I don't know. Besides that it's a pretty strong side on paper, you'd think they will have the upper hand, however NSW have not named their match 23 at this point, so who knows what they are up against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That is a pretty powerful looking pack of Reds Forwards along with some skilled and swift princesses.

The NSW blokes will be doing well to win this game, particularly given that they have some players in key positions in Team Rehab.

Tipping the Red Peril to take the chocolates in the Curtain Raiser by >10 points.

Different story (for a different thread), in the big game, SportsBet have apparently ceased taking bets.:)

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
There is talk that Magnay has been called back to the Reds bench. That leaves Riley or Jurd at 13 for the 20s. Riley has been impressive at 13 but Jurd is a year older & has the experience from last year under his belt. I'd take them both. Good luck to all the Qld & NSW 20s boys.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
WA U20s side to face the Rebels U20s:
Couple of these guys might come into Aus U20 consideration. We should have a fairly strong front row, back row and scrumhalf. Don't know many of the others too well.

1.Tristan Schneider
2.Terrell Shortland-Berryman
3. Tom Sheminant
4. Hendricus Van Der Heyden
5. Sam Offer
6. Tevin Ferris
7. Sosifa Likio
8. Blake Phillips
9. Angus Taylor
10. Tom Ingrim
11. Onehunga Havili
12. Leighton Short
13. Michael Fotu
14. Trey Moloney
15. Clay Uyen
16. Ford Hemi
17. Lorenzo Mario
18. Shambeckler Vui
19. Tim Wallace
20. James Brown
21. Hershelle Classen
22. Te Orangi Thompson
23. Kauri Cudd

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^
18. Shambeckler Vui

Another Queensland export. At least 5 former Qld in the Brumbies 20's squad, 3 (IIRC) in the Rebels, and now 1 out West. All achieved without really reducing the player depth in this Age cohort in the Reds U20's.

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
^^
18. Another Queensland export. At least 5 former Qld in the Brumbies 20's squad, 3 (IIRC) in the Rebels, and now 1 out West. All achieved without really reducing the player depth in this Age cohort in the Reds U20's.

A number of these exports are U19's. It will be interesting to see whether they put down roots or whether they head "home" for their U20's year.

Either way great to see opportunities opening up for developing players Australia wide.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The NSW Gen Blue U20s team to take on the Queensland U20s is below. The match will kick-off at 4:15pm tomorrow, Saturday 27th February on Kippax Oval (located between Kippax Lake and Anzac Parade), Moore Park ahead of the NSW Waratahs round one Super Rugby clash against the Queensland Reds.

NSW U 20s

1 Vunipola Fifita
2 Declan Moore
3 Harry Johnson Holmes
4 Ryan McCauley
5 Tom Piroddi
6 Nick de Crespigny
7 Jack Hayson
8 Max Girdler
9 Theo Strang
10 Tom Molloy
11 Sam Tabuatamata
12 Ned Yeomans
13 Latu Latinipulu
14 Guy Porter
15 Jack Maddocks

Reserves:
16 Tom Horton
17 Harry Chapman
18 Sean Dillon
19 Lachlan Swinton
20 Charlie Smith
21 Harrison Goddard
22 Sione Afu
23 James Pelowski

So it's confirmed that the 5:15 pm curtain raiser at Allianz Stadium is at Kippax Oval at 4:15pm.

And it isn't even an Oval.

That's pretty much the team that has been playing the last two trials except a few things to mention.

Hooker Ed Craig is MC at his sister's wedding celebration and Tom Horton hasn't played in the last two trials because of concussion; so he will be underdone.

It's good to see hooker Declan Moore is chosen because he looked like a basket case on Friday. He's been one of the best NSW U20s around the park but I wouldn't have him in my darts team.

11 of the 23 are 2015 schoolies including both scrumhalves, three of the starting tight five and all the reserve forwards.

Am surprised that scrummie Ted Pye is not in the team because he is big and plays old - but maybe he was injured and I didn't know. Must be because Harrison Goddard is now in and before he was out.

As expected with their three flyhalves crocked, two for the season, centre Tom Molloy is playing flyhalf. Jack Maddocks who can play there is kept at fullback to make use of his booming boot.

Another surprise is the starting of Guy Porter. The only training I have seen him do is rehab work on the side of the field and most of the time he wasn't even there. He hasn't played in the trials and the person he replaced in the 23, Sepesa Loga-Tarogi, was not the worst.

I expected Latu Latinipulu to play because he has a bit of zip - but not in the 13 jersey because he hasn't trialled there. Porter's inclusion has moved him in.

It's a bit of lucky dip team and I fear that the backs will be looking at themselves and asking "what happened?"

But they are a fit side which is well-coached and diligent - and has been training hard. The forwards should give a good account of themselves around the park but their lineouts have been consistently bad.

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
Rebels U20s

Mahe Vailanu
Jordan Uelese
Frank Uini
Will Clift
Potu Leavasa
Robert Valetini
Ikapote Tupai
Tangaroa Hosea
Angus Fowler
Andreas Livadaras
Ah-Mu Tuimalealiifano
Jonathan Savea
Elias Vole
Oisin Clarken
Billy Gray

Reserves:
JP Sauni
Lorenzo Fiu
Luteru Leota
Sunia Finefeuiaki
John Schwalger
Jade Murray
Irwin Samoa
Josh Coward

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Vics

Mahe Vailanu
Jordan Uelese
Frank Uini
Will Clift
Potu Leavasa
Robert Valetini
Ikapote Tupai
Tangaroa Hosea
Angus Fowler
Andreas Livadaras
Ah-Mu Tuimalealiifano
Jonathan Savea
Elias Vole
Oisin Clarken
Billy Gray

Reserves:

JP Sauni
Lorenzo Fiu
Luteru Leota
Sunia Finefeuiaki
John Schwalger
Jade Murray
Irwin Samoa
Josh Coward

No full timer drop downs from the squad (Fox, Leota and Tuipulotu), and of the names from previous years, I don't see Blake, or the magic man. Can't say much other than go Rebs and in particular, go Ta, congrats on captaincy, have a blinder.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
NSW U 20s

1 Vunipola Fifita
2 Declan Moore
3 Harry Johnson Holmes
4 Ryan McCauley
5 Tom Piroddi
6 Nick de Crespigny
7 Jack Hayson
8 Max Girdler
9 Theo Strang
10 Tom Molloy
11 Sam Tabuatamata
12 Ned Yeomans
13 Latu Latinipulu
14 Guy Porter
15 Jack Maddocks

Reserves:
16 Tom Horton
17 Harry Chapman
18 Sean Dillon
19 Lachlan Swinton
20 Charlie Smith
21 Harrison Goddard
22 Sione Afu
23 James Pelowski

Seven Scots boys in the starting XV (plus one on the bench). Is that some sort of record?

Correction that should be six in the XV. I blame the long lunch I was at!!!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Seven Scots boys in the starting XV (plus one on the bench). Is that some sort of record?

Correction that should be six in the XV. I blame the long lunch I was at!!!

Nothing wrong with long lunches, most of us have been there, and nothing wrong with a school having so many graduates from their 1st XVs in the NSW U20s team either, even though it will annoy the adherents of other GPS sides (except those of Newington) who think the field is not level and their point has been proved mathematically.

But once the lads put on the blue jersey, all that has to go by the board: they are representing NSW and well done all the boys, whatever school they went to.

(Geez, I can get on my high horse every now and then, but my heart is pure - most of the time.)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This may be the largest number of former TSC students named in a NSW U20 team ever.

Other Records for trainspotters that worry about this sort of stuff are:
  • The largest ever number of former Canberra Grammar Students in a NSW U20 team.
  • The first ever time a former Mereweather High School Student in their first post school year has been named in the NSW U20 team before they have even played a Colts game.
  • The first Scots College 3rd XV player, who was also not selected in one of the four AAGPS representative teams when they were in Year 12, to be selected in a NSW U20 run on team.
and so on...

The players are representing NSW and really don't give a flying fig what school their team mates went to, whether they played for Australian Schoolboys, NSW I or NSW II, or how old they are.

Same with the young men pulling on a jumper for QLD, Brumbies, Rebels and WA.

Roll on the Competition.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
^^
18. Shambeckler Vui

Another Queensland export. At least 5 former Qld in the Brumbies 20's squad, 3 (IIRC) in the Rebels, and now 1 out West. All achieved without really reducing the player depth in this Age cohort in the Reds U20's.

We have fairly decent props. I'd trade him for having Nick Jooste back from the ACT or Jayden Ngamanu back from QLD.

Status
Not open for further replies.