• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
You guys have arguably the best draw. Let's you go big on both weekend games and rest a few against the Baby Azzuri.

As for us, as long as the big 5 play, we're in with a shot in any game (Tighthead Zander Fagerson, Lock Scott Cummings, Flanker Jamie Ritchie, Fly Half Adam Hastings and Fullback Blair Kinghorn). Just need them all iniury free through the end of the Season and Cotter not selecting Fagerson for the Japan tour.

Has there been an announcement of your full squad for Gold Coast, or is it just dribs and drabs from ITKs?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ive nothing against us nabbing QLD boys, being born and bred on the Gold Coast myself. Makes them easier to work with haha

He's a good one to nab. I suspect almost the best of the bunch. Reckon he will come through the system pretty quickly. His future battles with Tupou should be epic.

I'm also ok with the competitive market. I think Oz rugby is much better off with the big fellah getting consistent game time over there rather than battling it out over here.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
BMW Australian U20s squad for the Oceania Rugby U20s Championship:
Forwards

Faalalie Sione (Brumbies U20s)
Tyrel Lomax (Brumbies U20s)
Vunipola Fifita (NSW Gen Blue U20s)
Shambeckler Vui (Western Force U20s)
Josh Taylor (Queensland U20s)
Alex Mafi (Queensland U20s)
Declan Moore (NSW Gen Blue U20s)
Lukhan Lealalauloto-Tui (Queensland U20s)
Ryan McCauley (NSW Gen Blue U20s)
Harry Hockings (Queensland U20s)
Rob leota (Melbourne Rebels U20s)
Liam Wright (Queensland U20s)
Maclean Jones (Queensland U20s)
Angus Scott–Young (Queensland U20s)
Max Girdler (NSW Gen Blue U20s)
Harley Fox (Melbourne Rebels U20s)

Backs
James Tuttle (Queensland U20s)
Moses Sorovi (Queensland U20s)
Mack Mason (Queensland U20s)
Billy Gray (Melbourne Rebels U20s)
Sione Tuipolotu (Melbourne Rebels U20s)
Campbell Magnay (Queensland U20s)
Jordan Jackson-Hope (Brumbies U20s)
Liam Jurd (Queensland U20s)
Ah-Mu Tuimalealiifano (Melbourne Rebels U20s)
Joey Fittock (Queensland U20s)
Latu Latinipulu (NSW Gen Blue U20s)
Jack Maddocks (NSW Gen Blue U20s)

2016 Oceania Rugby U20s Championship, Bond University, Gold Coast:
Australia v New Zealand, Tuesday 3 May, 6.30pm AEST
Australia v New Zealand, Saturday 7 May, 4.00pm AEST

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
for those in the know, are there any "new" names amongst this, i.e. players who haven't previously either played schoolboys or U20's for Australia. i can't recall whether Billy Gray has represented Australia before, the other Rebels players have.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
for those in the know, are there any "new" names amongst this, i.e. players who haven't previously either played schoolboys or U20's for Australia. i can't recall whether Billy Gray has represented Australia before, the other Rebels players have.

Billy hasn't represented Australia before, so really pleased for him. Josh Coward actually started at FB against the Waratahs, Brumbies & possibly even in the final with Billy on the bench, but his composure & ability to play against big bodies (already has a full year of Dewar Shield behind him for Power House) would have helped him here.

Ah-Mu played for Samoa U20s on the wing last year & has played Aus Schoolboys A as well.

Are there any contracted players people are surprised missed out, e.g. Nick Jooste?

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
BMW Australia U20s named for Oceania Rugby U20s Championship
Seven Super Rugby contracted players have been named in the BMW Australia U20s side to play New Zealand at the Oceania Rugby U20s Championship at Bond University, Gold Coast this May.

Harley Fox (Melbourne Rebels), Jordon Jackson-Hope (Brumbies), Lukhan Lealalauloto-Tui (Queensland Reds), Rob Leota (Melbourne Rebels), Tyrel Lomax (Brumbies), Campbell Magnay (Queensland Reds), Sione Tuipolotu (Melbourne Rebels) and James Tuttle (Queensland Reds) will add experience to the squad that will play New Zealand twice as a precursor to the World Rugby U20s Championship in Manchester in June.

Adding further experience to the young Aussie side will be the fact that there are six players who will be returning from the 2015 Australian campaign at the World Rugby U20s Championship.

Australian U20s Head Coach Adrian Thompson: “I extend my congratulations to every player that has been selected in the BMW Australia U20s.

“Our players learnt throughout the Super U20s of the standard required to compete at National level and we look forward to seeing these players take that next step to compete on the world stage.”

The players were selected following the inaugural Super U20s Championship, a six week tournament that saw all the best U20s players represent the five Australian Super Rugby franchises across the country.

Source: http://www.aru.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1699/ArticleID/17883/BMW-Australia-U20s-named-for-Oceania-Rugby-U20s-Championship.aspx

Breakdown by State:

Forwards
  • Qld 7
  • NSW 4
  • ACT 2
  • VIC 2
  • WA 1
Backs
  • Qld 6
  • NSW 2
  • ACT 1
  • VIC 3
  • WA 0
Total
  • Qld 13
  • NSW 6
  • ACT 3
  • VIC 5
  • WA 1

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Beat me to it @Seymour Butz.

Trained you well, I have. :)

The ratios seem about right, and reasonably accurately reflect team performances throughout the Curtain Raiser Cup.

Well done to the lads selected. Train hard, stay fit, listen to your coaches, and cuddle your mothers, because there are a stack of others in the Shadow Squad that will be training hard etc who will jump at the chance to take your spot.

Don't forget Hugh's Law that states at least two players from Shadow will be called up to Bond to cover injuries before or during the FORU tournament.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I think they'll keep HH in cotton wool for Rio as he's already an influential part of the Sevens' side. Forget Kennewell - he's been crocked the whole season.

I'm not surprised that NSW got only two backs in the side and I thought even that Latinipulu was lucky; but Maddocks was good in a DHP way. To be fair they were pushing the proverbial uphill when they lost their first three flyhalves and best scrumhalf, and it showed wider out. But even before then they did not have the sparkle of the 2015 team.

The four best NSW forwards are in the side though prop Harry Johnson-Holmes couldn't have done more as a 2015 schoolie; but look for him in 2017. McCauley and Girdler from the Scots 1s XV last year are to be congratulated for being picked so young but they will be better in 2017—and I hope that Moore throws the ball straight into the lineout because he is a force of nature otherwise.

And talking about such forces it is great to see Victorian no 8 Robert Leota released to be in the team in his U19 year. And watch out for Robert Valentini later on - I asked one of the coaches about him and he said he was only 17 - but he is like a thrashing machine for the future. He played as a short lock in Sydney but will move from there later in his career.

The Rebels player who is unlucky is fullback Josh Coward who was dynamite in Sydney and if the selectors are worried about his size the Chiefs aren't worried about how big McKenzie is.

It is good to see Lukhan in there but I didn't see a lot of size and bruising play from Qld, NSW and the Rebels—skill, work rate, courage and diligence maybe, and a bit of toe, but not a lot of power play.

This will be noticeable playing against the usual suspects though England had a poor U20 6N as I recall.

And behind the pack I think they lack the class they had in parts in recent years

Geez Fox still has a roll of fat around his side and guts as he had as a schoolboy, but he keeps getting picked; so he can't be that bad.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Geez Fox still has a roll of fat around his side and guts as he had as a schoolboy, but he keeps getting picked; so he can't be that bad.

i sat near him at a recent Rebels game and was surprise at how "chubby" and short - relative for a No8 / back row forward he was.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
A Tuttle/Mason/Tuipolotu/Magnay 9-13 Could do some damage. Need Lomax to make an impact alongside Tui & Leota in tight however. Mafi is a good hooker, shame about Tupou!

Johnny13

Peter Burge (5)
i sat near him at a recent Rebels game and was surprise at how "chubby" and short - relative for a No8 / back row forward he was.

He is a great player. He will be hard to stop. No 8 is his position but after watching the game against nsw, he played openside and got through a lot of work especially in the last 20 minutes.

B

Bobby Sands

@Rugby Reg, By those rules are Joey Fittock, Izzak Rhodda, Reece Hewat, & Lukhan L-Tui considered to be NSW players?

There are quite a few U20 eligible schoolboy players plying their trade with the Brumbies and Rebels as well as Shambeckler has done with the West. The Ponies made no secret of their intention to recruit from interstate to bolster their gene pool.

Joey - TSS.
Rhodda - IGS
Hewat - Nudgee.

But Lukhan is NSW.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
He is a great player. He will be hard to stop. No 8 is his position but after watching the game against nsw, he played openside and got through a lot of work especially in the last 20 minutes.

He played on the blindside v NSW but you're right in saying his best position is no. 8; he's a skilful player and is good picking up crap ball from the back of the scrum - and I suspect there will be a bit of that in Manchester.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If I'm reading that right, the players are named

Props (5)
Hookers (2)
Locks (3)
Backrowers (6)
Scrum halfs (2)
Fly halfs (2)
Centers (4)
Back 3 (4)

It would have also been interesting if Rob had been fit, how the Rebels back row would have lined up. Ta Hosea was the captain and both Fox and Rob are contracted, but none are really opensides. Moot point now, but fun to think about nonetheless.

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
If I'm reading that right, the players are named

Props (5)
Hookers (2)
Locks (3)
Backrowers (6)
Scrum halfs (2)
Fly halfs (2)
Centers (4)
Back 3 (4)

It would have also been interesting if Rob had been fit, how the Rebels back row would have lined up. Ta Hosea was the captain and both Fox and Rob are contracted, but none are really opensides. Moot point now, but fun to think about nonetheless.

I could be wrong, but I thought Taylor was the Reds' second string hooker ?

Josh Taylor (Queensland U20s)
Alex Mafi (Queensland U20s)
Declan Moore (NSW Gen Blue U20s)

Status
Not open for further replies.