• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The level of Colts rugby in QLD must be low if you believe School Footy is at the same level.

I watch (& have watched) a lot of both school and Colts rugby and the best NSW school 1st XV's would not make the finals in Colts 1 and would also struggle to make Semi-finals in Colts 2.

The better performing players in previous U20 competitions have generally been playing Grade, pro or pro supplementary squad, or NRC type footy. The tougher level of competition that the player is regularly involved in, the tougher that player will generally be.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Don't underestimate the ability of our lads to bounce back. They were awful in their first game vs NZL at Bond this year. Look what happened in game 2, with a few changes in the squad.

All is not lost for Aust Rugby. Coach Thommo for all his defects that others see can only play with the hand he has been dealt. I'm sure that he would want to have the likes of Mafi, Moore, Porter, Perese, Clancy, Fittock, Hutchison, Latinipulu, McGregor, Crichton et al available for selection. I reckon Aus Team Rehab/unavailable U20s would probably defeat the team in Manchester.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Agreed Sage but I'll give you one example. Young kid Tyler Campbell (TSS 2015), never got looked at here in Qld and moved to the Chiefs and was picked in the Waikato NPC squad last week (19).

What Qld GPS team did he make?

Did he play Qld schools?

Was he playing colts or grade in Brisbane before moving to NZ?

For all the talk about how we ignore excellent young players because they're not 'favourites' or something there is little evidence that is the case.

Is he now in the adult squad or an under 19 squad?

The comment that someone was never looked at suggests that no one ever watched games they played. Seems unlikely if they were at a GPS school.

There will never be a situation where every eligible player gets invited to a training camp to try out. It's never going to work like that.

It really seems like we are identifying the best players pretty accurately. There are almost no examples where players are emerging on the scene from nowhere now.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
What Qld GPS team did he make?

Did he play Qld schools?

Was he playing colts or grade in Brisbane before moving to NZ?

For all the talk about how we ignore excellent young players because they're not 'favourites' or something there is little evidence that is the case.

Is he now in the adult squad or an under 19 squad?

Tyler Campbell was included in the NZ u20 training camp prior to Oceania warmup games. It seems the NZ 20s do plan ahead and get younger guys in even if they won't be used until next year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So he played Australian schoolboys last year, didn't get selected at the end of last year for the Queensland under 20s squad as an 18 year old and has pissed off to NZ? Did he by any chance go there to study? His club team seems to be University (whichever one that is).

I don't know how anyone could argue this guy isn't getting a look in.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Tyler Campbell was included in the NZ u20 training camp prior to Oceania warmup games. It seems the NZ 20s do plan ahead and get younger guys in even if they won't be used until next year.
A fairly large proportion of this years NSW Gen Blue U20 were from the "Born in 1997" (U19) cohort, some may say too many of them. Many of them played like they had not played a single game of Senior Rugby, which was no surprise because they hadn't.

There were about 23 NSW Class of 2015 players who were selected for Aust Schoolboys or Schoolboy Barbarians. To the best of my knowledge all of those, less those returning to school, overseas, or involved in mungoball were invited to attend the initial Gen Blue 2016 selection process in late 2015. A few players from National Schoolboys Championships who were overlooked by the ASRU selectors for higher representative honours, or were injured/not available, also participated in the U20 selection process.

I can't speak for how the other teams ran their U20 selection process, but I believe that Queensland's process was similar. Vic and ACT also have a few players from the Class of 2015 in their Curtain Raiser Cup squads so NZ 20s are not the only mob who "plan ahead and got younger guys in".

Good luck to Tyler Campbell. I hope he does well in his endeavours in NZL. Borrowing from the wit of a previous NZL Prime Minister, I am sure that his presence there will increase the average skill level of both nations.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Looking to the future, I think the curtain raiser cup has a lot going for it, but it'd be a whole lot better imo if it was a home and away comp. Would it be feasible within the time available and would the cost be bearable?

A full comp would give both selectors and players more opportunity to decide the makeup of the squad to go to the Worlds.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Aligned with the Super Season, and no final a double round robin takes you to round 10, which was the last week in April this year.

That gives a month of work together before the tournament. Is that enough time? Obviously at the end of the day, the U20s is a developmental vehicle for the pro game, and that would probably be more useful for the Super sides overall, but the Championship is a goal worth pursuing in and of itself.

Tough call. Ideally of course a Global calender gets sorted out and the mid year internationals get shunted to late July early August, but that's 4 years away at best.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Apart from the broken bodies in Team Rehab, what players from the Curtain Raiser Cup Squads are not in Manchester with the Jnr Wallabies?

How would having two rounds of Curtain Raiser Cup games help the selectors finalise the makeup of the squad for the World Champs that one round doesn't?

The players would be better off back in their clubs playing hard rugby week in week out with their status being monitored by ARU HPU staff.

If the player is not playing regular tough club rugby then ... ... ... Perhaps like ADF Members, sailors and similar, they may have to move to somewhere that they can get the necessary experiences. Not a lot of call for electric passenger train drivers in Wagga Wagga, Submariners in Bathurst, or Professional Darts Players in Oodnadatta.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
The level of Colts rugby in QLD must be low if you believe School Footy is at the same level.

I watch (& have watched) a lot of both school and Colts rugby and the best NSW school 1st XV's would not make the finals in Colts 1 and would also struggle to make Semi-finals in Colts 2.

The better performing players in previous U20 competitions have generally been playing Grade, pro or pro supplementary squad, or NRC type footy. The tougher level of competition that the player is regularly involved in, the tougher that player will generally be.

Colts rugby in Qld is still U19. Fairly certain no one in QRU HQ has yet realised the rest of the known rugby world has colts as U20.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Apart from the broken bodies in Team Rehab, what players from the Curtain Raiser Cup Squads are not in Manchester with the Jnr Wallabies?

How would having two rounds of Curtain Raiser Cup games help the selectors finalise the makeup of the squad for the World Champs that one round doesn't?

The players would be better off back in their clubs playing hard rugby week in week out with their status being monitored by ARU HPU staff.

If the player is not playing regular tough club rugby then . . . Perhaps like ADF Members, sailors and similar, they may have to move to somewhere that they can get the necessary experiences. Not a lot of call for electric passenger train drivers in Wagga Wagga, Submariners in Bathurst, or Professional Darts Players in Oodnadatta.

I think there might be a couple of potential benefits.

First, if players are missing two or three games through injury (Gen Blues come to mind this year) then there would be opportunity for them to get back in for later games and press for selection.

Then, home and away would level the playing field for all teams, with none having a surfeit of home ground advantage over the others, as happened this year, and could well have determined the preponderance of Reds' players in the final squad makeup.

Then of course, the extra games would surely add to the conditioning and skills development of all players involved, perhaps raising them to the levels achieved by the NH sides in their Six Nations competition.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Yeah good effort by Italy. Looking better at the moment; they want the ball more and doing what's required to get it. Ozzies need to lift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Some questions may need to be asked about the capacity of the coaching team.

That was yet again another poor performance from the young Wallabies.

Johns

Stan Wickham (3)
Scrum getting dominated. Aus back row has no presence.

This lateral play has come from having a 10 whose first instinct is to plant and pass, and a 12 who is not a 12. We need someone there capable of getting over the gain line.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Jooste is not a 12 he is a 10/15. No penetration at all. If he has been picked in the team as a 12, I fear we are in trouble with the quality of our u20 selection panel.

Johns

Stan Wickham (3)
Jooste is not a 12 he is a 10/15. No penetration at all. If he has been picked in the team as a 12, I fear we are in trouble with the quality of our u20 selection panel.

Should be at 10 no doubt.

10. Jooste
12. Tuipolotou
13. Magnay

Should have been the way

Status
Not open for further replies.