• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 TV ratings and crowd figures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The volume of the commentating seems to fluctuate, at one point in turned it up next minute my neighbors are listening to Sean Maloney scream out of my speakers. All these things add to the production costs and overheads, which is obviously the reason why, if ratings remain solid then it may help justify it for the the future though.

They are definitely not very good at increasing their excitement levels without also increasing their volume dramatically.

My wife complains about it frequently!

One element of it is definitely on the production side but part of it is experience as a commentator.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Some interesting ramifications for our desire to get on FTA happening in the A-League world at the moment.

To say the ratings for the first couple of rounds on One on Saturday night are disappointing is probably underselling it. They got 94k for the Sydney derby last week, with just 71k of that metro.

It's above what they were getting on SBS2 (just) but significantly less than the main channel from previous years.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Any info on how the NRC games rated on the weekend?

I noted the week before they had their highest ever rating with 150k between the two televised games.

Assuming an even split, that's 75k each and that implies both outrated the Shute Shield Grandfinal (which got 69k).

Not bad for a competition that's "manufactured", isn't "grass rootz" and doesn't have the "tradition", "rivalryz" or "tribalizm" so clearly seen in the Shute Shield.

Or something like that.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

I noted the week before they had their highest ever rating with 150k between the two televised games.

Assuming an even split, that's 75k each and that implies both outrated the Shute Shield Grandfinal (which got 69k).

Not bad for a competition that's "manufactured", isn't "grass rootz" and doesn't have the "tradition", "rivalryz" or "tribalizm" so clearly seen in the Shute Shield.

Or something like that.

However the ratings were calculated by the NRC in that tweet (eg combined peaks, including streaming etc etc), it wasn't using the official oztam ratings. No shows in the top 20 again this weekend. Less than 44k on Saturday and 54k Sunday - Supercars dominated the ratings this weekend

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Or something like that.

I've seen it mentioned that that figure of 150,000 was actually from the streamed games. If so, that's seriously impressive.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Aus v Barbarians

17,021 at the ground yesterday

97k on ten
57k on Fox

Think those numbers are probably missing the regional and One numbers

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Aus v Barbarians

17,021 at the ground yesterday

97k on ten
57k on Fox

Think those numbers are probably missing the regional and One numbers

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Wow. That's actually a better crowd than I thought. As for the ratings. Meh. Was nothing more than a glorified trial game so I'm not that perturbed by them.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Japan v Aus
40,000 in the stadium (good turnout and WR (World Rugby) will be pleased to see it with the World Cup approaching)

91k on Foxtel (which, given the timezone, is pretty awful - but EOYT never really rate well. This explains why none of the FTA networks want to pay for the games)

No sign of NRC in the official ratings.

Other sports - League World Cup on 7Mate is actually doing pretty well - they are dominating the ratings list on weekends (6 out of the top 20 shows yesterday)

A-League on Fox is disappointing for them this year, and the FTA coverage on One on Saturday nights is nothing short of diabolical - 54k total with 36k Metro last night

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Japan v Aus
40,000 in the stadium (good turnout and WR (World Rugby) will be pleased to see it with the World Cup approaching)

91k on Foxtel (which, given the timezone, is pretty awful - but EOYT never really rate well. This explains why none of the FTA networks want to pay for the games)

No sign of NRC in the official ratings.

Other sports - League World Cup on 7Mate is actually doing pretty well - they are dominating the ratings list on weekends (6 out of the top 20 shows yesterday)

A-League on Fox is disappointing for them this year, and the FTA coverage on One on Saturday nights is nothing short of diabolical - 54k total with 36k Metro last night

Japan are not exactly a drawcard either. But 43,000 at the game would be encouraging for WR (World Rugby). I think the A-League is in a bit of trouble in its quest to find new audiences. They just cannot seem to get their huge participation base to translate into avid followers of the local league. The RLWC doing well isn't terribly surprising. But honestly, I've watched a few games and they haven't been all that exciting really. Lacks the theatre of international Rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.