• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 TV ratings and crowd figures

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A sydney based SS based comp isn't the means to grow the game In Australia, no one outside of Sydney cares about it.

However, using parts of the SS as a foundation could work..

Well, yes. The problem with the NRC is that very few people care much who wins, none of the teams have any kind of tradition, no folklore, no history, no personality.

To me one of the key ingredients in any domestic competition is authenticity of the teams.

I would be interested to watch Vikings play Sunnybank, for example, each of them has a history. And a personality of their own. They are not artificial entities.

I am becoming more and more convinced that a domestic competition based on traditional clubs is the way to go.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I would be interested to watch Vikings play Sunnybank, for example, each of them has a history.

Rugby history is great. I regularly scrounge around for words and pictures of it, and invariably it involves humble beginnings.

Both the clubs you mention have about 3 decades' worth of note, and neither would have existed when you were a nipper (unless I'm mistaken about your approximate age :) ).

Sometimes you've got to actually make history.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Problem with the NRC is when they run it. It should be running now, just like the Mitre 10 cup is in NZ and it should be a full home and away season.

The Mitre 10 Cup has the same number of rounds as the NRC.

It starts 2 weeks earlier because our club rugby season is still going.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The Mitre 10 Cup has the same number of rounds as the NRC.

It starts 2 weeks earlier because our club rugby season is still going.

Yeah... What's up with that? Shouldn't the NRC be starting this week then? All the important Club Competitions have finished now.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Fine, but my statement was referring to trying to have a national rugby competition available as often as possible for people to watch. What NZ do is their business. NZ also have club rugby and other competitions as well. Having the NRC run alongside all the test series would be an added benefit in my opinion. Anyway, guess this is all off topic.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
@MediaweekAUS: Sat TV #rugby #BledisloeCup #NZLvAUS
Game 2 #Dunedin TEN 498k
(Syd 209k Mel 78k Bri 139k Ade 22k Per 50k)

Shute Shield on Seven in Sydney - 69k

SMH reporting high 15,000s for the crowd at North Sydney, though I've seen a few higher estimates

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Strew

Some interesting date / competition analysis coming up.

The Socceroo's could have two home games in October and November, when they are in between cricket starting and after the NRl & AFL & Super Rugby finals.

The ratings for the game this week against the Thai's.

Tue STV World Cup Qualifier #FoxSports#AUSvTHA 250k
Tue TV World Cup Qualifier GO! #AUSvTHA 462k (Syd 155k Mel 149k Bri 78k Ade 53k Per 27k)
Tue TV World Cup Qualifier GO! #AUSvTHA Regional’s 225K

250 + 462 + 225 = 937

I expect away from the business end of the NRL & AFL and before Cricket the ratings will increase.

The broader question if this turns out to be true is should the ARU attempt to organise Wallaby games in this same time competition free space. I understand it massively complex to arrange schedules but if the Socceroos experience a significant lift in ratings. The question IMO is worth asking.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I guess the question is whether we should attempt to play some midweek test matches to avoid competition from other sports.

We do have two home games in October (3rd Bledisloe and the Barbarians game) and then we are in Europe in November.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
I guess the question is whether we should attempt to play some midweek test matches to avoid competition from other sports.

We do have two home games in October (3rd Bledisloe and the Barbarians game) and then we are in Europe in November.

That's a very astute observation. and thinking about it, I 100% agree.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Strew

Some interesting date / competition analysis coming up.

The Socceroo's could have two home games in October and November, when they are in between cricket starting and after the NRl & AFL & Super Rugby finals.

The ratings for the game this week against the Thai's.

Tue STV World Cup Qualifier #FoxSports#AUSvTHA 250k
Tue TV World Cup Qualifier GO! #AUSvTHA 462k (Syd 155k Mel 149k Bri 78k Ade 53k Per 27k)
Tue TV World Cup Qualifier GO! #AUSvTHA Regional’s 225K

250 + 462 + 225 = 937

I expect away from the business end of the NRL & AFL and before Cricket the ratings will increase.

The broader question if this turns out to be true is should the ARU attempt to organise Wallaby games in this same time competition free space. I understand it massively complex to arrange schedules but if the Socceroos experience a significant lift in ratings. The question IMO is worth asking.
The FFA have the "luxury" of having massively meaningful games with lots of consequence for each match.

Contrast this with the always dismal ratings for Aus v Arg usually when neither team can win anything.

I don't think there's any doubt that ratings would be better mid week, but could/would the Argies make that work?

The ARU already make sure the Bled.and SA home games are generally on a bit earlier than the big finals in other sports

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Clearly the inability to tailor our TRC fixture hampers us in regards to competition from the other codes, as well as being drawn to stat off against the All Blacks every single year.

Last week, the AFL had their pre-Finals bye and there were a number of deadrubber NRL games - a great opportunity for Rugby to fight back. What did we have? TRC Bye...

It was also Round 1 of the NRC, and while I know the ARU want to promote afternoon rugby surely the fact that there was no other televised live sport after 8pm on Friday night last week meant it was a great opportunity to start the season in the evening and attract a whole new range of viewers..

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The FFA have the "luxury" of having massively meaningful games with lots of consequence for each match.

This is the key. It's not about content, it's about meaning.

The Socceroos game rated well because it actually meant something, way more than our usual qualifiers (hence the higher ratings). It was a must-win game with WC qualification on the line.

In a weird way us missing the Cup (for now) is a positive for the FFA. They get (best case) two more crucial home games that will pull big crowds both at the ground and on TV.

One of my big beliefs in sport is that it's not just about the game itself. The second Bledisloe really resonated because of the meaning - the traditional rivalry, our historical struggles in NZ etc. Yes it was a great game, but the emotional stakes were super high as well.

It's why one of the most compelling things to watch is the back 9 of the Masters on a Sunday. Regardless of your opinion on golf as a spectator sport, I dare you not to watch someone putting from 10 feet on the 18th to win it. And yet if it's just the BMW Open or some shit, who cares?

While I don't disagree that more content in a quiet period would be a good thing, I think if it doesn't have meaning then you don't get the result. The Barbarians game will be an interesting one for mine. There are plenty of gimmicks involved, but it's a meaningless game and I would be surprised if they get more than 25k at the ground, even with no competition.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Super staurday ratings starting to come through. FTA is a bit delayed.

Fox
Port v west coast - 331k
Swans v dons - 319k
Storm v Eeles - 303k
Manly v Panthers - 274k

Wobs v SA - 134k
NZ v Arg - 94k

Status
Not open for further replies.