• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
56,000 at the Sydney Sevens across the three days this year
(thanks to Southsider in the sevens thread)

Down a fair bit from around 75,000 across the two days for 2017 and 2016

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
56,000 at the Sydney Sevens across the three days this year
(thanks to Southsider in the sevens thread)

Down a fair bit from around 75,000 across the two days for 2017 and 2016

I am not a big fan of sevens to be honest but I did consider going until I found out it was during the Aus Day weekend, I only watched a couple of games on TV. Having said that I am really looking forward to the 2018 season

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Ratings are pretty much the same as last year (it's a bit hard to tell exactly what session etc these correspond to, but my guesses in brackets)

Fri - less than 32k
Sat - 35k
Sun - 32k (afternoon session?), 41k (mens finals?), 46k (womens finals?)

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
It's a hard gig to beat the tennis finals on the same weekend - although I did a bit of flicking from one to the other

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Day one of the Tens at Ballymore - 23k on foxtel.
11k crowd which might be terminal
Tough for the all day events like this and the sevens to average a decent rating.

In other sports, AFLW outrated the A-League once again

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
day two in Brisbane - 32k on Foxtel
According to @bethknewman (twitter) Day 1: 11,430 Day 2: 19,326 Total: 30,756 Thanks p.Tah

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Meanwhile the womens AFL match between Fremantle and Collingwood is sold out, next weekend, 52000 tickets. Mind you, they were priced from $2 each, and the game will be the first one played at the new stadium.

Still. Pretty impressive.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
AFLx topped the pay TV ratings last night with 82k.

By all accounts a pretty rubbish spectacle but something to watch out for over this time of year

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Strew

Just over a week ago I posted in the Where is Super Rugby going thread that FFA where starting a new competition of E-Sports for teh A-League.

The E-Sport out rated the A-League.

No idea if it will continue.

Part of a much longer article in the smh.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...r-hit-than-aleague-games-20180216-h0w87y.html

Gamers using A-League teams while playing FIFA 18 is proving more popular viewing than actual A-League matches after the launch of Football Federation Australia's E-League attracted a larger audience than the average ratings for the competition.

The FFA dipped its toe into the rapidly growing world of competitive video gaming, E-Sports, with the launch of its E-League on Thursday night. It attracted an audience reach 16 per cent higher than the average A-League match, raising questions over the direction of sports broadcasting.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Strew

Just over a week ago I posted in the Where is Super Rugby going thread that FFA where starting a new competition of E-Sports for teh A-League.

The E-Sport out rated the A-League.

No idea if it will continue.

Part of a much longer article in the smh.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...r-hit-than-aleague-games-20180216-h0w87y.html

Gamers using A-League teams while playing FIFA 18 is proving more popular viewing than actual A-League matches after the launch of Football Federation Australia's E-League attracted a larger audience than the average ratings for the competition.

The FFA dipped its toe into the rapidly growing world of competitive video gaming, E-Sports, with the launch of its E-League on Thursday night. It attracted an audience reach 16 per cent higher than the average A-League match, raising questions over the direction of sports broadcasting.

Well, using similar platforms to that of E-Sports was a stated option suggested by the IPRC group. I think the audience of the launch of the E-League is more of a reflection of the growing platform and popularity of E-Sports in general.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Televised E-Sport has as much relevance to sports as reality TV.

They might as well put Super Rugby jerseys on Big Brother or Survivor contestants if they just want ratings.

It means nothing towards growing the game, developing kids skills (encouraging them to be healthy and active) or producing a successful Wallaby team.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Televised E-Sport has as much relevance to sports as reality TV.

They might as well put Super Rugby jerseys on Big Brother or Survivor contestants if they just want ratings.

It means nothing towards growing the game, developing kids skills (encouraging them to be healthy and active) or producing a successful Wallaby team.

While it does provide an interesting case study in terms of its growth in size and popularity you're essentially spot on in your assessment.

T

TOCC

It’s 2018 and Australia Rugby still doesn’t have a digital platform for reaching the mobile user. AFL and NRL apps have been downloaded around 5-7millions each, with cumulative streaming minutes of AFL matches in 2016 standing at 175million minutes, NRL has over 100million live minutes of football streamed in 2016. With both apps achieving year on year growth of anywhere between 20-50%. For both the NRL and AFL, the mobile app overtook desktop or other forms of media platforms back in 2013.

Both apps offer subscriptions with growth rates and metrics reflecting those figures above..Cricket and Netball also have similar apps.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
While it does provide an interesting case study in terms of its growth in size and popularity you're essentially spot on in your assessment.
If anyone takes anything from the experiment, other than FIFA is popular on twitch.tv (average1 million viewers an hour), then they haven't thought this through

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It’s 2018 and Australia Rugby still doesn’t have a digital platform for reaching the mobile user. AFL and NRL apps have been downloaded around 5-7millions each, with cumulative streaming minutes of AFL matches in 2016 standing at 175million minutes, NRL has over 100million live minutes of football streamed in 2016. With both apps achieving year on year growth of anywhere between 20-50%. For both the NRL and AFL, the mobile app overtook desktop or other forms of media platforms back in 2013.

Both apps offer subscriptions with growth rates and metrics reflecting those figures above..Cricket and Netball also have similar apps.

Is this because of Rugby Australia, Super Rugby or Foxtel?

I hope they get a mobile platform in the future and maybe it is worth Rugby Australia taking some short term pain and getting games on Netflix or Amazon Prime to start with.

T

TOCC

Is this because of Rugby Australia, Super Rugby or Foxtel?

I hope they get a mobile platform in the future and maybe it is worth Rugby Australia taking some short term pain and getting games on Netflix or Amazon Prime to start with.

Rugby Australia sell the broadcast rights, they sell it all inclusive to Foxtel who then would prefer to keep all the digital content on their on Foxtel digital platforms, which are quite poor. Perhaps the way SANZAAR deals makes it more convoluted, but still the digital rights would be geo-locked to each relevant country so I don't see how it could complicate it that much.

I think its more a case of Foxtel offering slightly more to retain the digital rights to avoid any potential competition by the ARU establishing their own subscription memberships like the AFL and NRL do on their apps. Telstra partner the AFL/NRL to make it possible, it wouldn't happen otherwise, so the other question is that perhaps Telstra have no interest in doing that for rugby union either.

Its incredible that Rugby in Australia still doesn't have such a concept though, its prevalent in every major sporting codes throughout the world, in the bigger league some of the teams have even taken ownership of their own digital rights.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Rugby Australia sell the broadcast rights, they sell it all inclusive to Foxtel who then would prefer to keep all the digital content on their on Foxtel digital platforms, which are quite poor. Perhaps the way SANZAAR deals makes it more convoluted, but still the digital rights would be geo-locked to each relevant country so I don't see how it could complicate it that much.

I think its more a case of Foxtel offering slightly more to retain the digital rights to avoid any potential competition by the ARU establishing their own subscription memberships like the AFL and NRL do on their apps. Telstra partner the AFL/NRL to make it possible, it wouldn't happen otherwise, so the other question is that perhaps Telstra have no interest in doing that for rugby union either.

Its incredible that Rugby in Australia still doesn't have such a concept though, its prevalent in every major sporting codes throughout the world, in the bigger league some of the teams have even taken ownership of their own digital rights.

TOCC,

Mate, I've been suggesting that RA look to do something like this for quite some time. A complete OTT option for all competition from Premier club up. If the NBL can do it so can we. Imagine a offering where you can get every Aus Super Rugby/IPRC game, NRC, Aon and Super W and premier club competitions. With no geo-blocking.

Of course, RA would cock it up by overcharging right off the bat

T

TOCC

Agree, although it’s hard not to geo-block because of the way tv rights are bundled and on-sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.